Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
janefromtexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6975
Yosemite Area Campgrounds

I seem to recall a recent thread about campgrounds in the Yosemite area but am unable to find it via searching. Can anyone point me to the thread or make suggestions about good campgrounds? Thank you very much.

janefromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We stayed in one in Groveland last year and it was very nice. I think the name is Yosemite Pines and the phone number is (877) 962-7690.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Most of the Campgrounds are a few miles from the park itself, plan on a 30 to 40 mile drive. They had a major rock slide on HWY 140 (between Mariposa and El Portal) a couple of years ago and limited vehicles to 28'. I was up there a couple of months ago and see they have changed the detour, now allowing larger vehicles but I do not know the new length limits. You can contact Indian Flat RV Park in El Portal, near the entrance to Yosemite on HWY 140, for information about this. Indian Flat RV park is one of the closest RV parks to the Valley.

As for sites in the Valley itself I am hesitant to take the Montana into Yosemite Valley due to tunnel clearance and narrow roads with sharp banked curves. When going in from Oakhust, the south entrance to the Park, you go through the Wawona tunnel that has a 10'2" height at the curb edge and 13'6" toward the center of the lane as it is curves at its top. Coming in from the North entrance you have a couple of curved top tunnels that are also 10'2" at the curb but I am not sure of the center height (I have seen class C RVs go through these and have to drive the centerline and I still cringed watching them). The entrance on HWY 140 from Mariposa has a 12" limit but is also narrow, this is at the Arch Rock. Also having worked at Yosemite I saw many RV's go over the center line, on the curves, causing many of the Valleys accidents.

That said, I feel the best places would be in Groveland, Mariposa / Midpines, or Oakhurst. There is a KOA in Midpines (Midpines is about 25 miles form the Valley) and High Sierra RV park in Oakhurst (Oakhurst is about 30 miles from the Valley). As I have mentioned there is the Indian Flat RV Park in El Portal near the entrance (El Portal is about 12 miles)to Yosemite on HWY 140 they are on the East side of where the rock slide has caused the detour over the Mered river so I do not know if you can get a Montana in to them. Also Yosemite Pines in Groveland (Groveland is about 35 miles from the Valley) as Capt Kidd mentioned is also good.

Also you can do a google search for rv park Yosemite which will give you a good list of sites to check out. Enjoy you trip to Yosemite and if you have any other questions about the area I will be glad to try and help you out, I worked there for awhile and I am now working at Sequoia National Forest.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you are an Escapees member there is a great SKP park near Coarsegold. It is one of our favorite parks. They've done a great job with the park. It is a bit of a drive to the park but not too bad.
Here's a link to the SKP park: Park Sierra (Escapees Park)

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote