Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
I have to respond to the comment on Goodyear tires and how everyone knows they are bad tires.
1. Goodyear is the number one tire in the US
2. If you are making a comment on Goodyear's 'RV' tires, the one problem for them seems to be the Goodyear G159 tires.
3. Bottomline is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.

They are certainly #1 in price ,thats for sure. G614's had a terrible reputation for BLOWOUTS, granted they have improved , and seem to be a quality tire, but still there is no secret to their reputation. All one has to do is google the G614 to see the reviews.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
I have to respond to the comment on Goodyear tires and how everyone knows they are bad tires.
2. If you are making a comment on Goodyear's 'RV' tires, the one problem for them seems to be the Goodyear G159 tires.
3. Bottomline is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.
Not so fast. No one has said current tires are bad. Yes, they had many accidents, injuries, and even deaths on the G519 that they kept on selling. When the 1st produced Marathons they were not bad, then they changed to junk. GY is not extremely trustworthy.
The GY G614 is a good tire. It used to be the best and deserved a premium but not a huge one. Anyone doing research will find some problems. The same research on the Sailun S 637 is much better. Also, it is 1/2 the price. Stay with the GY as you are happy and comfy with them. Many others will also, but all I know have or will switch to Sailun and NOT because of price but reputation.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not so fast. No one has said current tires are bad. Yes, they had many accidents, injuries, and even deaths on the G519 that they kept on selling. When the 1st produced Marathons they were not bad, then they changed to junk. GY is not extremely trustworthy.
The GY G614 is a good tire. It used to be the best and deserved a premium but not a huge one. Anyone doing research will find some problems. The same research on the Sailun S 637 is much better. Also, it is 1/2 the price. Stay with the GY as you are happy and comfy with them. Many others will also, but all I know have or will switch to Sailun and NOT because of price but reputation.

Thank goodness for the Sailuns

Yes ,back what 10 years ago the G614's were the best considering the alternatives that we were getting on our Montana fifth wheels. My OEM's were Mission brand, I didn't leave them on very long, went with the G614's they served me well, although they didn't have a stellar reputation. They were fairly expensive back then. There were not many choices back then for a G rated 16" tire. A lot of guys were going with a quality LT E rated tire or the G614's
Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #24
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
My Monty came w/4 Sailun tires. My SIL has been my go-to since he joined the family over 26 years ago. He stated, I don't have a tire to compete with them. He's been in the tire business since I've known him.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
3. Bottom line is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.
you are absolutely correct on the 159 tires .The G6 14 did not have that problem. The Saluns seem to be performing well. We stuck with the Goodyear G614's just our choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #26
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
My monty came with rainers 95 psi I will be changing them next summer along with the dually . Going to run sailun on both
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
My monty came with rainers 95 psi I will be changing them next summer along with the dually . Going to run sailun on both
Advised a friend about the Sailun Terramax AT's , he's been running them now for a couple months, been meaning to ask him how they were doing. Kinda been letting him be the guinea pig , but not really after having the Sailun S637's on my fifth wheel for the last 2 years.

Unless he has something bad to say about the Terramax , it will be my next truck tire. Wish I had looked into them before I bought my present tires , the Toyo AT2's. Been happy with the Toyos's, but IMO the Sailuns are going to be as good a truck tire, at half the cost.

Oh!! well live ,and learn . Guys are still buying those expensive overrated G614's , old habits die hard .
Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #28
civilengineer42
Established Member

M.O.C. #22618
Just my experience with Sailun Tires. I just came back in from 3400mi round trip from Magnolia Texas to Thurmont Maryland, and Thurmont to New Orleans back to Magnolia. I left with 110psi cold, second fuel stop I noticed some odd tread ware. I checked pressure with a tire that had roughly 700mi on it I was up to 125psi. I reduced back to 110psi, cold now about 95psi and the odd tread ware stopped. My 3721RL is 13250lbs empty, and I had maybe 1000lbs in cargo (Very Conservative) for a total of 14250lbs of the 16930 it is rated for......Just what I have noticed is the tire pressure will need to be adjusted by the total weight you are placing on them.....This was just my observation, and by no means the gospel......
6.7L Cummins-Aisin Transmission 3:73 Rear Gears
civilengineer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilengineer42 View Post
Just my experience with Sailun Tires. I just came back in from 3400mi round trip from Magnolia Texas to Thurmont Maryland, and Thurmont to New Orleans back to Magnolia. I left with 110psi cold, second fuel stop I noticed some odd tread ware. I checked pressure with a tire that had roughly 700mi on it I was up to 125psi. I reduced back to 110psi, cold now about 95psi and the odd tread ware stopped. My 3721RL is 13250lbs empty, and I had maybe 1000lbs in cargo (Very Conservative) for a total of 14250lbs of the 16930 it is rated for......Just what I have noticed is the tire pressure will need to be adjusted by the total weight you are placing on them.....This was just my observation, and by no means the gospel......
I have been running mine at 95-100. total weight partially loaded was 12,720 on the scales, dry is supposedly 11800, GVWR is 15,500. Probably fully loaded haven't had it on the scales ,but around 13200-13400.

Anyway at that psi, and weight no abnormal wear on my Sailuns. Guessing haven't really kept track of the miles want to say around 4k.

The Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 is rated at 4400 @ 110 psi, I am running say the 13400 minus the pin weight , 20-25% I got around 3K pin weight. So 10,400 on the tires , or around 2600 on each. If I looked at a weight chart , I could probably run less then the 95-100, but so far everything seems to be working okay.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #30
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I had good luck with Goodyear. After they wore out, I installed Sailuns which seem to be holding up well and have a great reputation. The reason Goodyear's are more expensive is they pay for damage caused by blow outs. So they are like an insurance policy. Sailuns are for those who want to self insure against blow outs.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Personal choice . We use the G6 14's and have never had a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #32
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it and less than 60 days old. He will need a new fender. No other damage.

Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #33
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
PSFORD99. You are passing on errored information on the G614 tire. Yes, it does have problems, at times, but again the issue with Good Year was their G159, NOT the G614. READ:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ims/488815002/

G159 issue.

If you don't care for the G614, that is fine, but the G614 tire does not have an issue.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
PSFORD99. You are passing on errored information on the G614 tire. Yes, it does have problems, at times, but again the issue with Good Year was their G159, NOT the G614. READ:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ims/488815002/

G159 issue.

If you don't care for the G614, that is fine, but the G614 tire does not have an issue.
All you have to do is google Goodyear G614 failures, and read. Granted they have improved , but they had a terrible reputation for blowouts. Only consolation is that Goodyear will pay for the damages under certain conditions.

I know nothing of the G159, never been in the market for them, but I was for the G614's ,and read plenty of reviews, so no I am not passing erroded information. I should have said they have improved, my bad . Do a search ,and you will still see issues with the G614's.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #35
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi......3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it......Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage......Phil P
That's the first anecdotal evidence of a Sailun failure I've heard of, and I frequent four RV forums. I'll keep it in mind.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it and less than 60 days old. He will need a new fender. No other damage.

Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage.

Phil P
I don't doubt the blowout, but how would you know that it showed no signs of curb or FOD damage, blowouts out are pretty messy, and don't leave a lot to look at .
Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Seems like we are way off track of the OPs original questions.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
This is going to be my opinion about the current Sailun LRG 16” tires. I don’t often write opinions but have been writing about trailer tires for about 15 years and have seen a lot of them come and go.

IMO Sailun has more experience with steel cased trailer tires than any other ST tire manufacturer - even GY, who built them first. GY’s steel cased trailer tires have always carried the LT prefix. They registered the trade mark, RST, for them, meaning Regional Service Trailer. For their first few years of service they had a terrible failure record. IMO a lot of that was due to improper inflation. When you’re hauling a big heavy trailer, its tires MUST be properly inflated in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations. Owners not having tire inflation equipment capable of providing the 110 PSI requirement for the tire or “airing down” for a better riding trailer (which even GY disapproves of) caused a lot of failures, I’m sure.

Sailun first built a LT235/85R16G “knock-off” equal to the GY tire. It was also a trailer tire with “for trailer service” on its sidewall. IMO they did that while they were experimenting with the soon to follow ST235/80R16G & ST235/85R16G registered sizes. Once they ironed out the design features and materials needed for the ST versions they built the molds. As many can attest, they are a success. Proving the China ST tire manufacturers do provide successful ST tires.

Green Ball has added a 15” steel cased tire to their Tow Master line-up. It’s the ST225/75R15F with a load capacity of 3195# at 95 PSI with a 75 MPH speed letter.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #39
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I don't doubt the blowout, but how would you know that it showed no signs of curb or FOD damage, blowouts out are pretty messy, and don't leave a lot to look at .

Hi

My qualifications:

I grew up in my father’s heavy equipment shop. Started working summers when about 14 and started managing the shop at 18.

That gives me 60 years experience in business that had to deal with tires of all descriptions.

My father went on to moving houses. We learned about tires and heavy loads.

I went from there to high speed tires carrying heavy loads think DC6 to 747.

I move from the ramp to quality control and obtained more training in forensics concerning “infant motility” of products like tires and hydraulic components.

At 65 and 250 lbs I retired and moved from behind the desk to the real world again.

For 5 years after tried to sell my airport but with the decline in the economy I still own it.

So at 70 I volunteered to help a large outfit that has a fairly large fleet of light duty trucks to large tracked equipment with their equipment reliability and maintenance cost.

I now weigh 200 lbs and fell better than I have for the last 20 years. The company has seen an 80% reduction in maintenance cost and a large improvement in equipment reliability.

As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires.

This tire failed the side wall the tread stayed intact this is the reason only the fender is destroyed no plumbing or other structure was effected.

Examination of the outside of the tire:

The outer layer of rubber on the sidewall had separated for ¾ of the diameter of the tire. The actual failed point was about 1/3 of the way from one end of what would have been a large elongated babble. There was not any evidence of a curb strike that results in deep gouges the run about a 45 degree angle from the tread area toward the rim. There was no steel cord that appeared cut like you would get when running over a foreign object on the road.

Examination of the inner part of the tire:

This had an interesting separation of the inner lining of the tire. The steel cords had failed like an overloaded winch cable fails the major portion of the wire strands where not frayed on the ends instead they were tapered down like the end of a needle but not to a point. This type of failure doesn’t happen from impact damage and is commonly seen on cabling that has been overloaded.

This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer. The tire company says they commonly don’t get any information back about the determination they make.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:29 AM   #40
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
That'll teach you to wind up Phil
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote