Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Installing Rear Camera

Well I bought the camera from Rvcams.com but now I am not feeling too confidaent about installing it. I just spoke to Camping World in Kissimee and they wanted about $600. Looking for suggestions as to alternative sources for getting this thing installed. Help. thanks as usual in advance.

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Did you purchase one with a cord or was it the cordless one?

I bought a back up camera when we had the M/H and really enjoyed how well it helped.

What I’m wondering about on putting one on the fifth wheel is if it would cause a problem or maybe confusion when backing up due to the fact that you will be in a different position to what the camera will be seeing at times. I also think it would be great to see what is behind you.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
$600 ... ouch!!!!!!!!!! It really isn't that much of a job. Several of us have done it one way or another. Fishtape helps. Here's a link to archived posts on the rear camera install.

Please use the short form of the link! Thank you, RVWheels

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23967
&SearchTerms=,rear,view

Read thru the different posts in the above link to get the different approaches.
You can do it ... it just takes a little patience ... save that $600 for fuel. Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I have not installed a rear view camera, but when I was dismantling our damaged Montana, I was looking at different ways I could install one. I drilled a hole in the center of the rear cap above the window and feed a fish tape in toward the left side. I then removed the left tail light and was surprised to see the fish tape. From that point it would be easy to drop one side of the underbelly and run a cable to the front.
I agree with dieselguy, you can do it.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Richfaa did his. Hopefully he will be along shortly. I believe it was from RVCams.com, also - not sure.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is not that bad of a job, I would go ahead and do it yourself
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry Ozz, I forgot that you installed yours, too.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
600.00....Run.....We have the 5.6CHNV from RV cams.Some have done very professional installations themselves. Since my retirement I have developed a mysterious allergy to anything that involves work .. I break out in rash that will only go away if I sit down and do nothing so I do things the very easy minimum effort route. WE have the 06 3400. The camera is mounted on the top rung of the ladder. The cable is tie wrapped down the side of the ladder and under the entire length of the 3400..held in place with Gorilla tape It was to much work to route it under the under belly.. Now since we have most of the under belly down due to a leaky black tank we are placing the cable under the under belly
The cable is routed up into the propane tank compartment .The roof of the propane compartment is the floor under the dresser in the bedroom..drill hole..feed cable..run cable along floor, it can be tucked under the carpeting along the wall, and into the closet,,now under the receiver hitch is the floor of the closet, about in the middle..drill hole, cable is now under the receiver hitch and out of the camper.
There are rubber pop out holes in the Ford were the monitor cable can be routed into the bed of the truck.Our connection to the camera is on the passenger side about half way in the bed..The best and most professional way is as Ozz and others have done it..but way to labor intensive for me. We use it as a rear view mirror..great device and I will not leave the driveway without it working.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
I have now installed (3) 5.6CHNV camera systems from RVCams on 3 different Montanas...It is a fairly simple job with the most difficult part running the cable down fron the upper marker light down to the tail light opening. Once that is complete, the rest is VERY easy. Send me a PM if you need more information on the steps I take to do the install...

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote