Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Plexiglass for door

We just got a new Montana. On our old Sunnybrook we were able to have plexiglass in the door for light and having it open with the air on. An Amish man made them in Elkhart, IN, where Sunnybrook is made. Does anybody know where to get this for the Montana?

Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Made our own, got the thinnest material we could at Lowes, or Home Depot. Made a pattern from poster board, transferred to material, cut, the cutting is the tricky part, as this stuff has a tendency to splinter, etc.

Have heard others talk about having it done, hopefully they will happen along and fill us in on that.

Gotta say, it is one of our most favorite improvements.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We also made clear panels for our existing screen door. They are held on by window screen brackets that swivel to allow for easy removal or placement depending upon the weather. It's nice to be able to have the outer door open in adverse (hot/cold/rainy) weather and still be able to see out as we don't have many windows on that side of the Montana in our floor plan.

We actually took the screen door off and went to a company (TAP Plastics in Sacramento, CA) in our area. They looked at the door and advised us on what type & thickness of plastic material. They then custom cut the 3 pieces there while we waited. Once we got home, all we had to do was mount the brackets. Total cost: $60.

When not in use, the panels fit nicely under our couch or the bed.

The 4th piece we got from CampingWorld. They carry the small "slider" panel in clear moulded plastic in two sizes for around $12 - $14.

I keep thinking I want to remove the glass window in the outer door and take it over to TAP Plastics and have them cut to fit a piece that is clear, but shaded. That way we can look outside when the outer door is closed.

Seeing and responding to your post reminded of that..... Thanks!

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
Thanks! Just realized that there is a rally in IN in September. We are planning on going and may find what we need there. We went to a plexiglass place here in the Keys and they had no clue!
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
You can get the plexiglass at Lowe's and they will cut it for you.
For the corners on the top, you can mark it then with a skill with a very fine blade that is made for plastic.
At Lowe's you can get clips that go into the groove of the inner part of the door and with a thumb screw tighten onto the panel.
They work better then drilling holes and the white plastic thing that you turn to hole the plexiglass in.
remember to put the plexiglass on the inside.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
My Plexiglass has been on the outside for 4 years on this trailer. Used same set up on last 4 rigs.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are two different clear plastics that are commonly available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. One is clear acrylic (Plexiglass, Lucite) the other is polycarbonate (Lexan). Both will work, be be aware that acrylic is somewhat brittle and prone to cracking, polycarbonate is much tougher, but more costly and a harder to cut, but it won't break.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Our panels are polycarbonate. TAP Plastics also recommended that over the plexiglass. They also carry many different thicknesses and shades.

TAP Plastics has quite a few stores throughout Northern California and a couple of locations in Oregon & Washington. They will usually cut the panels to fit (including the corners) while you wait.

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I just went to Ace Hardware with measurement for three rectangular panels. They (also HD and Lowe's) will make straight cuts for you. Rectangular only. I had to notch the bottom panel to go around the door handle but otherwise they fit nicely.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Steve,

Is your door totally square at the top??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, no, it isn't. Ours fits (velcro) over the screen area onto the frame on the outside of the door. On the upper corners where the door is radiused I cut off the corner at a 45 degree angle but one could round it with the right tools. Since we have no animals to scratch the door we went with plexiglass. The velcro holds very well but if I want to remove the glass I suspect part of the velcro will come with it so I have to rethink that part of it.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
We too have done the same with our screen door.

But instead of the screen fastners, Kevin had used some type of molding that is most used in bathrooms. This molding is white and it has a grove in it, he place one on top and one on bottom, so our polycarbonate panels slide in then on the side he has two of the screen fastners that turns. This has worked really well. Before when we just used the fastners, then the panel would sometimes slide out by the movement of traveling down the road.

We do have two small dogs....one likes to paw when you come up to the door , for this....we just have one extra piece stored for when the one on now gets too scratched up.

With this idea of the polycarbonate or plexiglass....I have been thinking of having a piece put up above my stove on the wall, so I don't have to worry about if we are cooking inside, doing this for easy wipe up. Has anybody else done this?
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I know of someone who made a back-splash to go behind their kitchen sink to keep splashes from getting on the blind and window. Same idea, seemed to work out well enough. I think that theirs was made so that it could be moved to clean.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I did mine with a whole pc of plexiglass I have dark bronze looks good and you can see out but it is not easy to see in. I also took the screen out and screwed the plexiglass to the frame. I found it local for app 90$ a sheet plus shipping 48x96 sheet.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Denise, how is the molding attached to the door? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
When installing the Plexiglas stuff do any of you put weather stripping either on the glass or the door? I'd think you'd almost have/want to so as to help keep it more air tight.

Thanks,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #17
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
HamRad, I did not use any kind of weather stripping around the plexiglass. It seals pretty good, just try opening the door when putting out the slides, creates quite a vacuum.
Got ours at Lowes and cut it myself with a sabre saw, easy to do, used a pattern laid out and started cutting!
I used screws and storm window braces, about 3/8 by 3/4 inches and hold the plexiglass in place with the braces. A friend of ours actually drilled holes big enough for the screw to pass and then just screwed it directly to the screen door, also an easy job.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
snow
Established Member

M.O.C. #434
I made Plexiglass screendoor for my Montana......You can cut it to size on a table saw...using 40-tooth carbide bit blade. make sure you hold it down firmly, so as not to let it chatter n u get a good cut. Some guys put a piece of board at the cut n do both at the same time. But not necessary if your carefull.
My Montana has a curved top to the screen instead of square, more of a challenge. I marked the curvature out n used a Dremel with cutter disc; worked fine. Wear safety glasses. Used the clamps with thumb screw, no drilling holes.Store top part behind couch when not in use, leave the bottom n middle piece on all the time,dog or kids can,t hurt the screen with it in place...

George & Joan Berlinger
Lapeer,MI.
3075 Montana 2007
2007.5 Duramax Chevy 2500HD
Husky Slider Hitch
Trailer Air Pin Box
Allison 6-speed tranny
1-Papillon Puppy
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #19
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
There was a posting with web site for the clips to hold the plexiglas. Anyone have that information? I thought I had saved it and I didn't. Thanks in advance...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
sreigle-

I apologize I have not been ignoring your question.

Homebase just got real super busy....Big inspection at work (done!), installing new floors in our 20 year old home (almost done, installers are here now fixing some minor problems)
I have not had my normal computer time.

Anyways Kevin just used screws....I notice you will not be at Lake Siskiyou this year, but DandMontheroad will be there and she is going to take a picture. When we do I'll have her post a pic for you if you are still interested.

Denise

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote