Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Plexi-glass for screen door

I have seen a couple of fivers where the owner placed plexi-glass over the screen door. Has anyone tried this? What are some pros and cons for this? Also, how easy is this stuff to cut to proper size and what does it cost? Any info appreciated.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
snoking

M.O.C. #8873
I did it on our Cardinal this fall. I ordered the sheets from INDUSTRIAL PLASTIC SUPPLY http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?...84&product=252 I used white self stick velcro to install it. We also replaced the sliding panel and other panel at that level with clear plastic as it blocked our view out the door while seated in the recliners. So now it is a storm door. If we like it we will remove the screen. We are snowbirding in Arizona this winter for the first time, and will use it to keep the cool in while the door is open. A band saw with fine teeth works well to cut it. The company will cut it to size, but be sure to tell them you want "exact" measurements. We used .040 for the slider and then got .060 the next time for the screen area. I would just get .060 for it all if I was doing it again.

Chris
snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Measure twice and make a trip to Lowes.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We haven't done this, want to though, but we saw several in Friendswoood earlier this year. I talked to several people and they told me that they made a pattern of the door and took it to a glass company and had them cut the plexi glass for them. There doors were on the outside of the door slide so it was all one piece.

This is on my want list, maybe ask for it for my Christmas present.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We did it to our 3075RL 2007 Monty. The key here is to measure the opening with a 1/16th overlap. The plexiglass will snap into place. You will need to have Lowes or HD do the cutting.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Did it last year with the constant suggestions of the DW. Really easy to do. Had Lowes cut to size then had to round the corners with a scroll saw, but a jig saw will do. Be sure to leave the plastic film on until you are completely done with the sizing to keep from scratching it. I used plastic screen holders to hold the three pieces in place. They are also available at Lowes (come ten to a pack I think). When the temps come up and the "storm windows" are not needed we store them under the bed wrapped in old towels to avoid scratching. It is great improvement that allows lots of light in and keeps the chill out. Good luck.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
snoking

M.O.C. #8873
You will find that the plastic at Lowes is not cheap. The online source that I linked to above is quite reasonable on cost. Also the plastic at Lowes is much thicker than one needs. I ordered the white velcro online also. Chris
snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have done this too. There are various ways to fasten the plastic. I used plastic clips that you can buy from most Ace Hardwares. (I think they were called "screen clips"}. They have a little screw with a knurled head that allows you to attach the clip to the door frame without any drilling or any thing to mar the finish.
You can by the plastic at Lowes, Home Depot and probably at some Ace Hardwares and similar places.

This is a very worthwhile project if you like to keep your door open while running either heat or A/C at moderate temperatures. (Also helps keep pets and young children from damaging the screen. We only put ours in when set up for a longer stay. It travels laying flat under the sofa. BTW, it takes two large pieces and one small piece to fill the door. You can buy clear slider panels at CW to replace the original white one, and then you have a completely clear door.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We did this a month ago. Here's a link:
http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t332/kathyanddave88
We got the plexi at Laird Signs in Iron Bridge, Ontario, north of Lake Superior. They cut the plexi to fit on the spot. A family business who took great care of us when we stopped on a whim.
The gap between the screen and the inside edge of the screen frame is 5/16". The plexi is 1/8" thick. The remaining 3/16" is made up by the fittings you see, which are from Lowes. They have knurled knobs that can be loosened and tightened by hand without falling off the door. This is all described in another recent thread.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Thanks for all the great info. I think I will give this a try before long.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I put plexiglass on ours a little less than a year ago. I used velcro that I had cut to a slimmer size. The velcro, top and bottom, has now come loose from the door but is still holding on each side. I guess I need to strip that velcro and use a velcro with stronger glue, like maybe the industrial strength velcro. Otherwise we're very happy with the plexiglass as we can have the door open on a cold day and let the sunlight help warm the rig as well as being able to look outside through the door. I used an automotive pinstriping on top of the plexiglass edges to mask the velcro. It looked nice but much of the pinstriping has now peeled off so that maybe wasn't such a great idea.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote