Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Old Swede
Established Member

M.O.C. #8407
winterizing water system

I have a 2007 montana 3075. Because of health reasons ,antifreeze in the water lines is not an option.I have drained the water heater, water tank, and water lines opening all faucets. Next, using compressor with 30# of pressure, blew the lines out. Then I ran the water pump for a few minutes . Is there any other method to assure that the water pump has been emptied ?

Old Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Don,

We have the same unit except a 2008 and that is exactly what we do. If you have the two low point drains in the water lines did you remember to open them? Also did you get the outside faucet blown out? We nearly forgot the outside faucet last year. Ours has the plumbing for the washer and that took a bit of extra effort.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Blowing the water lines out with air does not always get all the water out. Two places that can retain water, the water pump, and the valve in the toilet. Some people don't have any problems, but no guaranties. RV anti freeze is the only promise. It can be flushed out, lines can be sanitized with bleach (about 1/4 cup to 20gal), and the refreshed with baking soda (dissolve 1/2 cup in hot water and another 20gal). Let each treatment set in the lines for a few hours and flush with water. If you keep some heat in the unit during storage, you might get buy with the air, plus it will help keep the moisture down in the camper. I use an oil heater. Hopes this helps. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Don, I know you said you can't use antifreeze in the water lines, but I would use antifreeze in the sink traps and in the toilet after you blow out the lines. I'd suggest at least 1/3 gallon down each drain, this will also put some in the tanks, as the drain traps only hold about a cup or so.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kerry,

I completely forgot about the baking soda. I used to use it after the bleach, but somewhere over the years I forgot. Thanks!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
When I lived in Southeast Texas there was not a major threat for severe freezing weather and I always blew out the lines as you described. Feeling comfortable with what I had always done in the past I blew the lines again this year. Something did not feel right so I made the decision to fill them with the pink stuff. I was amazed at the amount of water that had stayed in the lines and was flushed before the pink arrived. My suggestion is winterize with antifreeze if at all possible.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Also, realize that RV antifreeze is a special blend -- non-toxic. If health (in my case some food allergies) prevent you from using the water for cooking/drinking, many of us use bottled water (or we bottle house water ourselves) for these uses. As said above, the best way is using the RV antifreeze.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Old Swede,
I'm with Charlie on this one. It's diffecult to remove all the water with air. I blow mine out first and then add the anti-freeze. The bleach and baking soda is a good ide, I'll try that one this winter, when we pull out.
Old Dane
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Always learn something here :-).
I forgot my unit is pre-plumbed for washer. I remembered everything else, even to release the pressure and then open up the non-return valve on the city water connection to drain the small amount of water there so it fills with anti-freeze. Be gentle or you may unseat the o-ring and then the valve will leak when you are running off your internal pump.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
After I blow all the lines and pour anti freeze in all the traps,toilet,and the grey tanks.I take the low point caps off and leave them off so if any water collects due to compensation or just plain gravity it should go out the low point and drain out.I also leave all faucets and any other water valve open to allow the drain to process.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just a note - with this new convenience center or docking station or whatever it's called, there are a few lines that don't get antifreeze as I believe Mudchief pointed out to me a couple of years ago.

On this 2007, I end up using both compressed air and antifreeze. I always start by draining the HW tank and freshwater tank, then connect a 30psi air to the city connect with a valved adapter.
  • With the bypass off and anode rod out, I open the air valve and the first shot of air cleans out the HW bypass line.
  • Incidently - by performing the step above, I just blew out the city connect to to the pump check valve, so I will not have to risk messing with that little pin to drain it.
  • Then, I turn the bypass valve on and open the tank fill valve. The next shot of air through the adapter blows out the tank fill line without contaminating the freshwater tank with antifreeze (a real buggar to flush out).
  • I then remove the air adapter fom the city connect and re-connect it to the black tank flush and give it a shot to blow out the flush line (theoretically it shouldn't hold water with the air-gap backflow preventor at the top, but I'm anal retentive)
  • All done with the air and ready for the antifreeze cocktail through the antifreeze connection
In the end, the rig is antifreezed, the P-traps are antifreezed, and the initial air blew out the HW tank fill line downstream of the bypass, the tank fill line was blown down, and the city connect line was blown down without any introduction of antifreeze into the HW tank, fresh tank, or even the city connect.

I realize this doesn't help with the Mountaineer or pre-convenience center Montanas, but I think you are better off. My 2003 was just as simple as few gallons of antifreeze and a few minutes of my time. This one take a little more time and concentration.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Also see this topic Winterizing the Montana with pictures posted 10/21
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
One more thing. If you have the built-in water filter, make sure you remove the filter before you put in the anti-freeze. It will plug up the filter, and you won't see any pink stuff coming out the faucets.

Kerry