Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
tuckerfolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8737
What is better; combo or stackable washer & dryer?

We're picking up our new 3400 today and in the next few months, I'm sure my wife will be wanting fill that closet with a washer and dryer. Our local appliance store said combo don't do the job. Can anyone comment on their experiences with washer & dryers. Also can anyone suggest what brands are best.

tuckerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
welcome and enjoy it! We have a 07 3400RL and have been using the Splendide stackables for a year now full timin and all is good and wife is HAPPY.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
We also have the stackable Splendide and have loved it.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We also have the Splendide stackable units. The plus is the ability to wash and dry at the same time. The minus is that these two units fill the closet. We had Kenmore stackables in our other unit. We like the Splendide better. The Kenmore was a top loader, while the Splendide is a front loader. Dianna is the expert and states that the front loader is the more gentle, helping the clothing to last longer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
we have the frontload maytag system, replaced a majestic system which were crap. I usderstand that the splendide is very good, got the maytag way cheaper and the wife loves them. They have a bit larger capacity than the splendide. The only drawback is the dryer is 220V so I had to run a 220 line and put in a breaker.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
tuckerfolk, we have had both the Combo and the Stackable and both were Splendide. There is so much difference between the two, if your going to full time the Splendide Ariston is the way to go. We haven't decide if we will get a W/D or not but we aren't full timing so we will see what happens after this winter. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
tuckerfolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8737
Thanks for the posts. I guess I'll know in a few hours what prep for washer and dryer means. Obviously not 220, but about vents? It looks like dryers come vented and un. Does the prep include venting and is it needed?
tuckerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
The Whirlpool Stackables were installed in our Big Sky by the factory and we love them. Some complain about the amount you can wash and dry in the rv units, but I can wash and dry nearly the same amount as in my units at home. I did not think I needed or wanted W/D, but now that I have them, I cannot imagine being without.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our 3075RL would not accomodate the stackable so we got the Splendide combo. But the DW loves it. The loads are somewhat smaller than the stackable, but she can put in a load of clothes, set it to wash and dry, and just forget about them. We can go off and do whatever we want and come back later to a load of clean dry clothes.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Unless you really need the room for something else, I would definately think the advantages of running two loads at once would justify the stackables. We also went with the Splendide Aristons and are quite happy with them. As part timers we elected to get the the Splendide rather than household type mainly because they are built for RVs and use only 7 gal of water and spin at 1200 rpm to help out the 110V dryer. The knobs retract on the wash machine to allow for very a very tight fit that we needed for the bi-fold door. The dryer is huge and will do almost two loads of the washer.

My mod link in our signature will show the install about half way down in the pics. We added extra floor brackets front and back, from Splendide (not included) to keep the units from damaging the closet door while traveling. We also added the stackable kit for the dryer (not included) that lets me disconnect and remove the dryer lickety split without touching the wash machine, (a must for inpsecting hoses and cleaning the vent). We also had to add the vent which is scary at first, but I show off my 4" round by 2" thick plug from the drill as a coaster for my coffee cup. We also switched the bi-fold door to open from the left, but the new Montys have a better door design.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We all have opinions but I think in the end it comes down to your personal preferences and how you plan to use the w/d. If you plan to throw in one load every night, as some folks do, then a combo might be your best bet. If you plan to put in a load then go off sightseeing while it's doing it's thing, then a combo might be best so long as you get back to get the dry clothes out before they wrinkle. If you do laundry once per week, as we do, then I think the stack is the better choice. You can have one load in the washer and another going in the dryer. If you go with the stack, make sure they don't put in that switch that allows only one of the units to run at a time, like some of the Kenmores do. You can avoid that switch or wire around it as Dustytuu did. Our stack does not have that switch and we run both at the same time, even when on 30 amps. However, on 30 amps we normally cannot also run the AC while both the washer and dryer are going.

Not everyone will probably agree with me but that's my opinion. We've had this stack in this and our prior Montana since July 2002 and have been fulltiming with them since March 2003.

Our dryer is mounted to the rack that came with the units. Make sure the rack and the dryer are securely mounted so they don't rattle. I had to tighten ours up in this Montana. The washer is not tied to anything other than the electrical cord and hoses. It just sits there and never moves.

If your closet has water connections and a drain pipe, you have the w/d prep. You or the dealer will have to cut a hole in the side of the rig for the vent.

If you go combo, I'd highly recommend you get the vented version.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
I am just now in the process of installing a Spledide 2100xc combo in our rig. The unit is quite compact (and quite heavy). I am ~almost~ ready to cut a 4" diameter hole in the coach for the vent. The dealer prep did not include a vent hole, but there's a sticker on the wall in the back of the closet that basically says "cut your hole through here",
I wedged the thing into the closet, and will have to pull it back out in order to make the hole, but I didn't want to leave it sitting on the bed too long, and you can't close the room with it sitting on the floor.

The fit into the closet required removing the bottom clamps that hold the door closed, ~and~ the top trim piece, which is held in with 4 screws and some small staples.
The closet floor is carpeted, and the owner's mamual for the unit says specifically " do not mount on carpet". I presume that is to prevent wandering around, so I'll decide on pulling up the carpet, or maybe installing the hold-down brackets.
The vent kit is extra, the hold-down kit is extra, and if you want a protective drain opan underneath it, it's extra too.
The vent kit was in stock at Camping World, but the first box I took home was missing some parts so be sure and check it when you pick it up.
I'll probably be drilling this Thursday or Friday and let you now how the project goes.

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We had a stackable Ariston in the 3400RL. We now have a 2100 Combo in the S.O.B.

I asked the wife your question, and she simply stated, "I'd rather have the stackable then the combo, any day."

I'm not saying anymore.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have the combo Splendide, outside vented. You need to do small loads regularly, and then you will have no problem. We usually do ours first thing in the morning. We make good use of the closet space above the Splendide. Probably nothing wrong with the stackables though, they just take up more space and seem as though they might shake around more. I would go with outside venting no matter what you end up with.

We have noticed that most of the newer Montana's only seem to have room for a combo in a small closet. Will your new one even have space for a stackable?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The 3400 is the only one - I think - that can handle the stackable units. We have the Ariston stackables and we are VERY happy with them. The 3400 does sacrifice knee room in the bathroom, however. But the stool can be moved back to steal some space back.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just an FYI to John, our stack do not shake and don't vibrate the rig other than you can feel just a tiny tingle in the floor of the commode room if you are in there barefoot. I think it's more a brand thing than a w/d type thing. The Majestic stack we had for a very short while did shake the rig pretty good at times. But these Crosley/Whirlpool don't, either in this Montana or the prior one.

We also noticed most of the current models have room only for a combo. And that's a deal killer for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your dealers comment that a combo will not do the job is 100% wrong..of course it will..we have the splendide 2100 vented combo and it does the job...Haveing said that IMO the stackable does the job better.Neither of them will do the job as well as the W/D in your stick house. The choice should be whatever meets your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote