Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Added extra Electric Receptacle

From the same method I added a Satellite connection I added an extra Electrical feed.

Somehow I missed the aluminum studs and all went well. I bought the correct connector from a RV Supply, drilled a whole just large enough for Single weatherproof box connector to pass through the side of the trailer and made the install. I used a tool to cut a "large" whole on the outside that the connector would fit in. I did not have to cut the large whole through the inside wall. The outside whole is clean right up to the inside wall. The whole in the inside wall is large enough for the electric line only. I sealed everything to prevent water leaks
From the outside receptacle, I ran a 12/3 electric wire into a receptacle I added on the side of the cabinet under the sink in the trailer.
This outlet service will get supplied power by running an extension cord from the 20Amp outlet in my RV power box to the outside weatherproof receptacle on the outside trailer wall I added. This service line will be protected with the 20amp breaker on the RV Power Box(or you can put an inline 15 amp) and you now have power to your trailer that is not pulling on your Trailer's 30 Amps. I may have left off a few steps but I hope it make sense.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Did you use A "Shore Power" style inlet on the exterior of the RV?
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpbcny

Did you use A "Shore Power" style inlet on the exterior of the RV?
I think that is what the connector is called.

Regular heavy duty extension cord works.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:26 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I installed a recepticle at the top of the steps. Great location for vacumn you can do the complete unit from this location also have a night light plugged in as well
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I install an electric outlet next to the outside steps under the awning arm. I did not like the only outlet on the slide. It was up too high and not convenient.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
On our 2003 2955RL, I installed an outdoor 110 box in the front compartment for the air compressor - for the air bags and to get the rears up to 65# before towing. At the back of the basement, right side, you can snake a Romex into the area behind the circuit panel - I wired mine with the microwave figuring I wasn't going to be using both at the same time. Had to drill one hole behind the box mounted on the rear wall of the front compartment.
Now on the 3295, I am trying to find a power source since the panel is over the washer closet and snaking wires to it looks impossible. I may tap off a receptacle somewhere - anybody have a better idea?
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
The found adding outlets is not that difficult and are useful to fit ones needs.

An important matter I am trying to express here is, The outlet I added is seperate from my trailers electrical system and does not "count" against the trailers 30 Amps circuit AS LONG AS YOUR RV OUTSIDE SERVICE BOX can handle the extra load. In my case I have a 70 Amp Service box with 1- 30 Amp and 2- 20Amp receptacles. The box instructions say the box is set up for 50 Amps continuos. With all that said my RV Service box is supplied by only a 50 Amp breaker which is okay with me.