Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
vtspencers,
I'm not sure you understand what we mean by "burp." When you flush the toilet, the debris goes down and displaces some of the air in the tank. When the tank is nearly full, a "burp" bubble may occur at the toilet outlet when you flush it. The fuller the tank, the bigger the burp. No danger in being too big of a burp.

I've never, in all my years of RVing seen anything like you describe as "blow the hose out of the ground."

The "burp" is just a layman's way of saying "dump the black water tank."

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The lock washer thing was me when I had the under belly down.It worked for awhile then quit,My new black tank sensors worked for about a month
then also quit. Since we are on full hookups all the time we just dump everyday or couple of days.I don't want to hear no burp////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... I don't want to hear no burp////
It's more important to not FEEL a burp...

(Yeah, I know I am supposed to be in bed. Have to get up at 4 am and be at the hospital at 5:30 for a 7:15 operation. Good night...)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... I don't want to hear no burp////
It's more important to not FEEL a burp...

(Yeah, I know I am supposed to be in bed. Have to get up at 4 am and be at the hospital at 5:30 for a 7:15 operation. Good night...)
Dave,
Don't you stand up when you flush? Can't feel a burp that way.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We always use full hook-up's and our 5th wheel site has full hook-ups but I don't dump everday when we are in the 5er I nomally dump when we hear the burp or when ever I think it need dumping. The burp is just another tool that helps. I think if you dump to often it can lead to problems that you don't want. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Delaine and Lindy,
What other problems would you anticipate could occur by dumping every day?

Curious mind wants to know. Especially since I dump (Montana) every day. (Well, me to!)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 AM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Delaine and Lindy,
What other problems would you anticipate could occur by dumping every day?

Curious mind wants to know. Especially since I dump (Montana) every day. (Well, me to!)
Wayne,
There is no problem dumping every day as long as you use a lot of water. You really need about a half tank of liquid in order to flush the black water tank best. What we've found in our travels is that people have a tendency not to use enough water and in their dumping every day, they have more build-up in the tank than normal. Having said that, I'll add that you really have to make sure you use some additive in the tank that will immediately dissolve (liquify) the material in the tank.

Others will (may) say all of this is necessary, that they've been doing it for years, but I'm just sharing my experience and what some close friends have shared with me.

Orv
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Agree with Orv

More water, less paper.

First line of defense.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #29
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Water, water and more water is the best friend of the black tank. I forget the term used (something like pyramid of concrete) that describes what happens when not enough water is in the tank and you are unable to flush the solids out. Builds up quickly and is hard as concrete from what I've read. I do know that if you forget to dump that tank before putting the unit away for the winter -- the liquid evaporates out and leave you a BIG hard mess in the spring -- was the pits getting that cleaned out -- may I never have that lapse in memory again!!!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #30
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
Yup!
When I dump each day I run the SaniFlush. What I do is turn it on and let it run for quite a wile. Then, I close the black valve and let it run for up to 2 minutes, then drain while still flushing. I do that about 5 or 6 times or until the water runs clear. When all is finished, I close the valve and continue to back flush for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. That adds about 3-5 gallons of water, depending on CG pressure.
I then put two cap fulls of Calgon water softner in the toilet and flush for about 15 seconds, using the sprayer.

I have never had the Hanna in storage for more than six weeks, but when I do, I use the same process and leave water in the black holding tank, and in the toilet bowl for a seal. I check it periodically to ensure there is still water in the bowl. This just give me a seal, and keeps the upper seal lubricated. I also leave a few gallons in the fresh water tank for adding to the toilet as necessary.

After draining the grey, DW usually has to do a few things using water, so a few gallons are left in there. Grey can build up those pyramids also, but the soap and 1 cap of Calgon, seem to keep that from happening - so far.

In one year of off-on use I have never had a problem. Maybe that was not a long enough period of time.

I'm sure there are others that do it differently, but it's what ever works for you - and "works," is the key word.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We actually leave all the valves closed when on full hookups and we do use PLENTY of water for the black tank. The galley tank will flush about every two maybe three days. The grey tank since we both take a shower every evening will flush everyday.The black tank every couple of days since we can use the flush system.It is a normal routine and takes less than a half hour to do a good job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #32
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I also never could get the Black tank monitor to read completely empty either when I first got our Montana 3400..I discovered if I just let the built in flush system run for about 15 mins the sensors read empty every time...Try running your flush system a little longer and see if that works
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #33
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The reason I don't dump the Black tank every day is because I do use chemical and you have to give it time to work. The Grey Tank normally fills up before the Black tank even though its 75 gals, black tank is 50 gals, but taking showers every day and sometimes twice depending on were and what we are doing. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote