Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
N24005

M.O.C. #14246
Installing WiFi Ranger

I have a 3402RL and will be working full time from it starting in just a month!

Just bought a WiFiRanger and I need to mount the antenna. I am planning on mounting it to the bat wing.

So I need to route the Cat-5 cable from the bat wing to someplace inside. Seems to make sense to run it alongside the coax cable from the bat wing. Then have it come out at the back of the closet where the antenna amp is.

Has anyone run it with the coax? How did you fish it? (If you have ever replaced that coax to your bat wing, how did you do that?)

Is there a better place to mount this and an easier way to get the cat-5 wire inside?

Thanks!
Jeff

N24005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some run their solar or roof mount satellite cables down nearby vent pipes and then cut a small hole lower in the vent pipe as needed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since you have a rear living room, what i've seen most frequently is the antenna mounted to the ladder and the coax brought in thru a hole drilled in the back cap. Some just seal the hole with silicone and others have actually used a coax connector.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would mount the antenna on the ladder and route the cat5 cable in as I did for my two Ham radio coax cables. This picture shows how I got the cables into the cap, you can remove the taillights and route the cable from ladder side to street side behind the cap using whatever method you choose. You then bring the cable out under the underbelly and following the other wiring out to the back outer rear corner of the desk/entertainment slide and up that location. There is a removable board under the desk which gives you access to the cables that come in that area.
You can then bring it up into the entertainment center area or under the desk or whatever.

You do not need to cut a hole in the back cap, note the cable goes through the ladder mount and that mount can be replaced if you want to put it back to original sometime down the road.

You will need to be able to install a cat5 cable end so you don't have to make a hole big enough to put the end through.

My Satellite cables come down the vent between the kitchen slide and the desk slide, they do "not" go into the vent pipe itself but run down beside it. You can access this area from the lower cabinet by removing the shelf and another panel. The problem with bringing your cable in there is where do you mount the antenna.

Take a look at the way I did mine as we have the same model Montana.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
dklose

M.O.C. #11399
I installed mine on the Batwing antenna and brought the cable directly through the roof adjacent to the antenna cable and wire tied them together outside. I used a plastic wire molding I got at Home Depot to run the cable over to the bedroom closet where I found a use for the 120v plug in the closet. I sealed the roof penetration with the rubber grommet they give you and some Dicor roof sealant. Worked well and the wire mold looks great.

You will love the WIFI Ranger it really does what they say!
dklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
I also mounted to the bat wing and drilled a hole in the roof. Sealed it with Dicor and a plate cover made for the cables. I then removed the inside vent covers and used a fish tape to draw the cable to the tv cabinet. Make sure you leave enough slack in the cable to lower the antennae or moving it around without pulling the cable end out. (Learned that the hard way).
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote