Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
snitz100
Established Member

M.O.C. #11380
Route info from Kamloops to Prince George

We're in Grand Forks, BC heading to Prince George. We're trying to avoid as many summits as possible (issues with another vehicle we are travelling with, not with ours). Would it be better to go from Kamloops via Hwy 5 and 16, or hwy 97?

snitz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I used Trailer Life Directory Navigator 2011 to create two trip plans. I have .htm files that you can view (ignore lots of the extra info like rest stops and other info unless it helps).

Each description line has the highest elevation of the section of the route. The route was plotted from Grand Forks, BC, then Kamloops, then one route goes to Prince George via Hwy 91, and the other route goes to Prince George via Hwy 5 & Hwy 16. I will attempt to email both trip plans to you.

In summary the 5/16 route is longer but less elevation, but not by much. Both routes have hills, but if you review both plans hopefully this helps.

I have been on Hwy 97 but not towing my Monty. Good luck to your caravan!

On Edit: I was unable to attach the .htm files to the Forum's email link. Just reply to the email I did send, then I can reply with the attachments for you to review.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
From Grand Forks go west on Hiway 3 to Rock Creek then turn right on hiway 33 to Kelowna. Follow to Hiway 97 then turn right ago to Kamloops. At Kamloops you can turn right on hiway 5 north to hiway 16 go west to Prince George or follow 97 west to Cache Creek turn and follow hiway 97 north to PG. I enjoy the Hiway 97 route alot more than the other. It doesn't matter where you go in BC there are hills. But I don't find them that bad on these two routes.
DO NOT TAKE HIWAY 97C from Kelowna to Merrit BC as the hill is very long and steep.
Enjoy your trip
Don
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Those are the same directions the planner suggests with a lot less wording. The trip planner I used lists a lot of points for guidance and also the elevation along the routes. They both suggested Hookman's route from Grand Forks to Kamloops. After that the 97 route can get as high as 3,900 ft to Prince George while Hwy 5/16 route goes no higher than 2,700 ft. However, the 5/16 route is over 50 miles farther between Kamloops and Prince George and Hwy 5 looks much more windy and thereby slower on the way to Hwy 16.

I did like Hwy 97 to Prince George and have driven it twice. I don't think the hills are that bad even though they are higher.

FYI - Hookman hails from Surrey, BC, so he'd certainly be more familiar!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You could go up one way and come back the other. Another route you should not take is the one from Hiway 5 to Hiway 97 via Hiway 24 as it is a real steep climb.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
snitz100
Established Member

M.O.C. #11380
Great info! Thank you so much. Our fellow travelers have replaced the radiator, a thermostat and a clutch fan - things are looking better, we hope. Pulling out of Grand Forks tomorrow after a two night layover. Two days into the trip and we're less than 3 hours from home! Travel's such an adventure. Thanks, again!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Good luck to you guys and hope the other travelers fare better.

It sounds like they are towing with a Chevy Astrovan. I have had two relatives and friends who had these same problems with theirs and these repairs still didn't help - they struggled wherever they towed.

I will go ahead and email the .htm trip summaries from TLDCN 2011, that happen to match Hookman's direction and recommendations (especially avoiding his warning areas).
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Hi, if this is not too late, I live in Kamloops and know the area and drive it a lot.
From Grand Forks, go West on Hwy 3 to Rock Creek, then North on Hwy 33 to Kelowna, then take Hwy 97 all the way to Prince George.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
snitz100
Established Member

M.O.C. #11380
Pete & Terry - and everyone: Thank you so much! We took the Rock Creek - Kelowna - 97 route. It went well. Thankfully the repairs to our son-in-law's Ford F350 were successful and he has been hauling his large cargo trailer without any new problems - Praise the Lord! Today we traveled the Casiar highway - 9 hours plus pull-overs for meals and diesel stops. We saw many black bears, one grizzly, several caribou and moose, a red fox, 1 rabbit and a couple ptarmigan. We're camped on the Alaskan Highway tonight.

P.S. Stayed at a great place in Kitwanga, BC last night - Casiar RV Park. Grassy sites, full hook-ups, gorgeous views, fun "hiking" trail for the kids - and us. Very quiet and peaceful.

Thanks, again!