Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Is Walmart our pal?

When we first got into the RV life, I heard that you can always park overnight if you need to in a Walmart parking lot, I was told just check in with the manager, go to the outer area of the lot, and you should be good-to-go.
Sue and I did that on the way to South Texas the first time, other than the noisy parking lot vacuum we were happy as clams. We bought about $30.00 in food and $80.00 walkie-talkies from them.
When we go to a new town, we always ask the Camp ground folks, "Where is Wally-world?"
Many bash them for many reasons, but for my take on it, they are our pals.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Ozz ';;They are only looking out for themselves. not the rest of the people, ;;Thats my idea as a past business person.. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
sailer, they are a business. Business are in business to make a profit, if they do not look out for themselves, they will not succeed. I don't think anyone looks at them like they would a priest or benefactor.
It is in their best interest to accommodate travelers, the large and ever-growing retired folks that use RV's are a big customer base. I guess it's allowing parking and welcoming the travelers as it adds to their bottom line.
But they are still my pal
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I've never stayed overnight in a Wally World parking lot. I don't plan on it in the future. The parking lot presents too much opportunity for smash & grabbers and vandals with easy exits for quick getaways. Now in an emergency where I have broken down or had to take shelter because of bad weather ... maybe. It sure wouldn't be my 1st choice. Is Wally World my pal? ... no. It's a place where I occasionally do business.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
In 5 years of RVing we have spent the night at "Camp Wally World" 3 times. All 3 times it was not our intended resting place for the evening but for 1 reason or another it is where we ended up. Also each overnight at Camp Wally World has cost more more per visit than any campground. Never when we stopped has it come up thru the day that we need to stop to pick something up but it always seems that we spend/need something when camped out in the parking lot that cost more than any other local campground (that was full which pushed us to ........)
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

When we first got into the RV life, I heard that you can always park overnight if you need to in a Walmart parking lot, I was told just check in with the manager, go to the outer area of the lot, and you should be good-to-go.
Sue and I did that on the way to South Texas the first time, other than the noisy parking lot vacuum we were happy as clams. We bought about $30.00 in food and $80.00 walkie-talkies from them.
When we go to a new town, we always ask the Camp ground folks, "Where is Wally-world?"
Many bash them for many reasons, but for my take on it, they are our pals.
To each his/her own opinion, but I am with you, Ozz.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We've used Walmart a few times and have had nothing but good experiences with them. We pulled into one at 9 PM one night and it looked like an RV lot. There was security roaming the lot all night. I think they were there to keep the semi's out but it was security none the less.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
When making long trips, we stay at Walmarts every other night. Yes, we go in and buy some stuff. Unless the local town has an ordnance against camping, they are always very nice when we call. We really like being able to do it and we really like Walmart in general.
They are in business to make money, and they do. That parking lot is empty most nights so why not let campers stay there over night. It's a good business practice and one that old Sam Walton started.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Over all, WM is a good company. Our son works at the corp office and recently received a promotion. I asked about his hours and he said "10 hour days." Great, I said, four 10 hour days...he said, "no, five 10 hour days!" WM works their employees hard, but the people, pay, bonuses and benefits are great.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
We have stayed at Walmart on several occasions. I like the secure feeling more than a interstate rest stop. Like everybody else usually spend money but stuff I would have bought anyway. Seems I see more 18 wheelers there than I used too.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just make sure the Wally World isn't in a Mall or Plaza. We stopped at one late, burned out a wheel bearing (not on the Monty, our previous TT) so we were very late. Store was closed so we couldn't ask, but being tired we parked off in a corner. A few hours later were awaken by Security, answered the door all blurryed eyed and begged for mercy. Explained the situation and the Female Security Officer said she guessed she could say she didn't see us, provided we were gone early in the morning. Other than that case, we've stayed many times with no problems and generally quieter than a Flying J or Pilot. And yes, we generally find something in the store we just can't live without.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never stayed at a Wally World overnight but appreciate the opportunity to do so if needed. We do shop at WM because they have what we need at a reasonable price. We have 4 WM's within 20 miles of us here in Florida. we have never had a negative experience with WM....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
mcampbell

M.O.C. #10941
We found that staying in a Walmart parking lot nicer than alot of campgrounds. We`ve actually made reservations to stay in a campground that looked good in their ads only to find out they were dumps and ended up going to the next Walmart. When you`re just passing through, their great.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I always thought Allan Jackson summed it up pretty well ()

IIRC when Sam Walton started up Walmart his intention was to buy everything in the States he could....now they buy all that Chinese stuff. I buy very little at Walmart. We have the HEB grocery chain here; they are great. Walmart was gonna build a Super Walmart in a neighborhood in Corpus Christi despite local protests. HEB slipped in and bought the land out from under Walmart so they couldn't build. That really endeared HEB to the locals. BTW, HEB is not building a store on the property.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

IIRC when Sam Walton started up Walmart his intention was to buy everything in the States he could....now they buy all that Chinese stuff. I buy very little at Walmart. We have the HEB grocery chain here; they are great. Walmart was gonna build a Super Walmart in a neighborhood in Corpus Christi despite local protests. HEB slipped in and bought the land out from under Walmart so they couldn't build. That really endeared HEB to the locals. BTW, HEB is not building a store on the property.
HEB??? Whatever "HEB" is, does not sound like they practice very admirable business practices????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

HEB??? Whatever "HEB" is, does not sound like they practice very admirable business practices????
Guess it's where you look at it from. People down here love them. HEB is short for Howard Edward Butt. They have over 300 stores in TX and Mexico. Hire local farmers to grow crops for them. They have an employee getaway here. Also own the old lighthouse on St. Jose island. I myself see nothing unethical in them buying the land....Walmart should have tied it up sooner. Surely you wouldn't sit on your haunches and let your biggest competitor out maneuver you?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
I also agree with OZZ. We use WM on long stretches, and stay overnight, we have had better luck a lot of times at WM and not the local camp grounds as far as security goes.
Have several friends that have worked at WM for years and love it.
One of the big reasons we support WM is because they hire challenged individuals
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bear

I also agree with OZZ. We use WM on long stretches, and stay overnight, we have had better luck a lot of times at WM and not the local camp grounds as far as security goes.
Have several friends that have worked at WM for years and love it.
One of the big reasons we support WM is because they hire challenged individuals
While that is good to a point, sometimes they take it too far. For instance; the Henderson, TX store hired an individual (male) in a wheelchair with some sort of muscle ailment. The gentleman could not go to the restroom by himself. Can you imagine being asked to assist while in the restroom? I was there once, and he was making terrible groaning noises in one of the stalls. I went out and got a Walmart associate. "Oh, he's just doing his muscle stretches", the guy told me. Heck, I thought he was dying. Also, he could not talk well enough for you to understand him. I think as a society, we have a responsibility to take care of folks like that....namely SSI or SSDI. I sure don't want to be zipping his pants for him!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Wal-Mart is my friend, He's just a noisy friend who doesn't let me sleep at night!
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Guess it's where you look at it from. People down here love them. HEB is short for Howard Edward Butt. They have over 300 stores in TX and Mexico. Hire local farmers to grow crops for them. They have an employee getaway here. Also own the old lighthouse on St. Jose island. I myself see nothing unethical in them buying the land....Walmart should have tied it up sooner. Surely you wouldn't sit on your haunches and let your biggest competitor out maneuver you?
HEB are great grocery stores. Wish they would move in to the North Texas Market. We do have a Central Market which is owned by HEB. We love to shop there for specialty food items. Sometimes just go to the deli for lunch. Always worth the extra drive.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote