Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Campground booking

DH and I will be heading out in May for the summer months and hopefully ending up at the rally in Sept. Being newbies to traveling from place to place we have some questions about campgrounds. We are traveling east of the Mississippi and will be using Thousand Trails as much as possible. However, we wondered about booking other campgrounds. How hard is it to get a campsite? How long ahead should we try to book them? Trying to get into any campground in Florida from Oct to May is difficult because of the snowbirds. Will we have the same problem in the summer months? Thanks for the answers!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Many campgrounds fill up in the Summer due to vacationers. Several in my home state are already booked solid through mid August. It won't be like that everywhere, but I would definitely call ahead before traveling. There are a lot of full-timers that will be along to give you some more detailed advice I'm sure.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Joanie and Dave,
The further North/Northeast, the more the CG's are going to be full, especially on the weekends. I have made the trip to New England a couple times and I have always called about two hours out from where I think I want to stop. On a couple occasions I have had to go a little further than I wanted. Also, do you just want to stop for the night, or spend a few days. Sunday through Thursday are the easiest to find a CG, except on long holiday weekends. Then Sunday becomes difficult at times. Friday and Saturday are the most difficult times to find a space because Dad & Mom take the kids out for the weekend. We did this many times when the kids were growing up, and it still happens. Holidays are the worse to make a reservation or find a spot, so do it early (reservation) if it is over a Holiday period.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having completed an "East Coast Trip" last year, I would recommend as many reservations as you can, especially over the holidays. Many folks have different ideas as to when to travel, I like Sundays, but we usually stay a little longer than most, at least a week unless we are just going from spot to spot. We still make reservations as far as much as possible. We do not make them on the road. This does remove some of the spontaneity out of travelling but it's what we prefer. Check each CGs cancellation policy and you will know when you can cancel and when not to. We have forfeited several $'s over the years. It is just the cost of having a good time. $30 now and then won't break us. Hope this helps......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote