Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Falling lamp

What I'd like to tell the Montana/Keystone folks is . . . come up with a better lighting solution for the little table between the two recliners that are in our 3585SA. I've seen the same arrangement in other Montana floor plans, so I bet I'm not the only person who wants a lamp that doesn't fall over or get knocked over every time someone turns or leans back in one of the recliners.

Maybe wiring and a hook could be added to the ceiling of the slideout, directly above where that lamp sits now, and once the rig is parked, the lamp could be plugged in and voila, light at a better height for reading and no danger of knocking it over.

I'm not an electrician, so I don't know how the electrical connection could be worked out--maybe the lamp could have the male part of a plug with the cord leading from it sort of intertwined with a nice-looking, lightweight oil-rubbed bronze chain, and the female part would be in the ceiling there.

Now that I've put this on paper, I think I will get a beige extension cord and rig a hook in the slideout ceiling. Then I'll look for a hanging lamp that's similar in style and color to the table lamp in our Montana. Hmmm . . . solved my own problem for a bit, but it's just an interim fix. I'd like a permanent fix.

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne I like your fix I have been wondering the same thing I will be looking for a lamp. I hope I can find one cheaper than the chandelier in the kitchen LOL. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I bought a short lamp with a broad base. Does not tip over at all. I would like to see these things come unfurnished, as an option, and we could furnish them the way we want. My son has stayed on the pull out sofa and is coming again. This time he is bringing two sleeping bags and will sleep on the floor. One of my recliners broke and the other doesn't seemto work right all the time. I think it may be going soon. AND we all know about the mattress in the BR.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ah, that recliner! They are so comfy, except that mine groans and squeaks if I even change position, and I'm not a big person--125 pounds on a clear day when I'm skinny-dipping. (Just kidding about the skinny-dipping. Heck, I wouldn't even consider a 5th-wheeler that didn't have a private, away-from-all-eyes, bathroom!)

So far, no problems with the air-mattress sofa except that it's a pain to inflate because when we do so, we always have 3 or 4 rug-rats, 2 dogs, and 1 cat trying to "see if there's enough air in it yet."

If anyone is looking for good-looking hanging lamps to modify the lighting situation in the Montana, I've found lots of places to buy them by Googling hanging lamps chandeliers pendants (or any combination of 2 of those words). I was actually searching for some rustic/lodge style fixtures to go over our kitchen island and in the hall of the house we're building, but in the course of doing so, I turned up literally hundreds of sources for lighting of all types. I saw hanging lights ranging from $7.99 up to as much as you want to spend, with good-looking styles in every price range.

One more thing--if you do shop on the internet as I do (after all, I'm 150 miles from the nearest Wally World and 200+ miles from a Target), be sure to do some comparison shopping before you buy:

First example--At a retail store, we found the PERFECT light to go over the kitchen island in the house we're building--but the cost was $575.00 plus shipping (special order). I made a note of the maker and model number, came home and put that in the Google search window, and found the identical light in 10 or more places, with prices ranging from $319/free shipping to $699/$25.00 shipping. That decision was a no-brainer.

Second example--Friday night, I bought via the internet some antique-iron lodge-style cabinet handles, the identical handles I'd found priced at $14.75 each at a high-dollar interior design store we'd been to the day before. At the store, I made a note of the SKU number and the style name, spent about half an hour on the internet Friday night seeing what I could find, and voila! I found the identical handles, same SKU, style, and manufacturer, priced from $3.79 - $10.50 each on the internet. Not only that, on the site selling them for $3.79 each, the shipping was free, and because I ordered more than 50, I got them for $3.29 each. I needed 64 of the handles for my kitchen and laundry/mud room, so buying them at $14.74 each was not a possibility (I'm not that crazy, anyway--it's just a house, right?--a house that we hope to sell in 2 years so that we can be fulltimers in our Montana).

OK, I got side-tracked from the lamp deal, sorry. But hey, if my internet experiences help anyone find a better deal, maybe I'll be forgiven. Also, I do shop locally whenever possible, particularly when the difference in price is minimal, but when there are huge price differences, I have to consider my money first.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We ( the d/w), purchased a nice lamp at a store, don't remember which, but I drilled 3 holes thru the base and screwed it to the table. It stays put when bumped and when traveling.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We solved that problem by not ordering the lamp and table. The back of the 3400 is occupied by one recliner, one bird cage and a small up right freezer. I don;t think I have ever sat in the recliner..It is Helen's chair and it is holding up well execpt for the seams that keep un raveling.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Is ther enough flat area under the lamp to velcro the lamp to the table?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi gang. I have to say this about the lamp. First, I am short and when I am sitting in one recliner and Bernie is in the other, I turn to talk to him and I look at the lampshade. I want to see Bernie not a lampshade. We have a couple of light fixtures in the ceiling above our chairs. Problem you ask? I can't reach the darn things to turn them on..... Remember, I'm short. Besides, when Bernie is around and turns them on for me - I am blinded by the light.
Yes, I am hard to please. It's ok, you can think it!
And I'm not even going to get started on the recliners - JUNK!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote