Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
beancounter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6893
Yet another landing gear question...

I keep burning the 30A in-line fuse for my landing gear drive motor.

Here are my observations...

1) The mounting of the motor itself has some "play" in it. I say "play" so as not to assume it is loose but maybe is intended to have some freedom to move. True?

2) If I extend the gear for only 20 seconds, or less, at a time the fuse does not burn.

3) The landing gear are blocked level from side to side so there is not more lift being placed on one leg versus the other.

4) I have never over-retracted the landing gear.

Since I have figured out that the 20-second rule keeps me from blowing the fuse I can level the coach. However, when I am in a situation where the nose is very low, it can take a long, long time to raise it up to level.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, I know we've run ours for a lot longer than 20 seconds and we've yet to blow a fuse. Something must not be quite right with yours. I haven't noticed any play in ours but have not really checked that, either. Do you see the play when the motor is running or can you move it when it is not operating?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is some play in the landing gear motor and that is normal. we have run ours a lot longer than 20 seconds, we have never blown a fuse..My guess is there is something amiss with yours.Since it is a 07 a call or visit to the dealer is in order.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Same as Rich and Steve here - never blown the fuse yet and I run it for the duration. Also noticed the motor rattling around up there - scared me the first time I saw it. It sounds like the motor may be bad and is drawing too much, but just a guess.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Go to Sears and buy a multi meter with a amp gage. It has jaws that clamp around a wire, (single wire) run the motor and you will see the actual amp draw under load. This will tell you if the motor is over-amping, which it sounds like it may be.
This meter has a 120 volt, as well as a 12 volt dc reading that you will use much in your RV lifestyle.
Without taking readings, we would just be guessing.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
beancounter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6893
Thanks for the replies and good (as usual) advice! Will test with multimeter and see what that reveals. Since we haven't had our coach for even a month, I know it would be fixed (if necessary) under warranty. I just hate travelling the 50 miles each way to the dealership.

beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bean also, any additional information for the dealer will help them, in helping zero in the on the problem.
If I were a guessing man, I would say there is a loose connection in the wires to the motor, or fuse connections, or a bad motor.
Is the fuse real tight in the holder? A loose wire will draw more amps, check them. The by-product will be heat, so you might look for a discolored wire connection.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #8
youngrvr

M.O.C. #6582
Just finished rebuilding my lead jack that the motor mounts due to a broken shaft. There was a medium thickness 1/2" washer included in the rebuild kit that had no place to go. When I mounted the motor to the gearbox I noticed the fit was sloppy so removed the motor and sure enough the washer fit over the shaft, then the fit was snug. There is still some wiggle but not much. Wouldn't think the motor moving around would blow the fuse unless something is getting in a bind. The guy I talked to a Venture the jack mfg said they have had some issues with the motor that is made in China that Lippert adds to their jack; like the clutch not set right so my jack jammed at the top then broke the shaft when I tried to extend. Now I have a yellow line on the jack so I don't over retract. If it's a new trailer, I'd let the dealer fix it.
youngrvr is offline   Reply With Quote