Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Things we've learned...

Experience is a great teacher; unfortunately many times it comes with an unwanted price. Here are a couple of things I’ve learned that I will share. Don’t hesitate to post your idea or experiences; it may help someone else avoid a costly mistake or simply make their life better.

The first thing on my list is to always chock your wheels before disconnecting the camper.

Another one of the things I’ve learned is how to take longer showers without running out of hot water. This is fairly obvious but it does work. Many times I’ve had the hot water start running cold and I’ve ended the shower sooner than I wanted to. Set your water spigot so that the water is just more than a trickle but enough to receive adequate water flow for showering. Whenever the water is throttled back the length of a shower can be increased far beyond what is needed. This can also be accomplished by using a regulator on the water supply.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am curious if you run your water heater on propane and electric both at the same time. When we first got our Monte, I would run the water to get wet, turn it off, lather up, water back on to rinse off. But after a while, I learned that with the water heater on both propane and electric I can shower just about as long as I want without running out of hot water. And that is even after the DW has just finished her shower. Or after she has run the washer.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We installed an Oxygenic Shower Head Conserves hot water and increases pressure no need to go through other procedures. One of our best improvements I think about $30.00 Google Oxygenics
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Experience is a great teacher; unfortunately many times it comes with an unwanted price. Here are a couple of things I’ve learned that I will share. Don’t hesitate to post your idea or experiences; it may help someone else avoid a costly mistake or simply make their life better.

The first thing on my list is to always chock your wheels before disconnecting the camper.

Another one of the things I’ve learned is how to take longer showers without running out of hot water. This is fairly obvious but it does work. Many times I’ve had the hot water start running cold and I’ve ended the shower sooner than I wanted to. Set your water spigot so that the water is just more than a trickle but enough to receive adequate water flow for showering. Whenever the water is throttled back the length of a shower can be increased far beyond what is needed. This can also be accomplished by using a regulator on the water supply.

A very good philosophy...always interesting to hear what the other guy does. Thanks for posting.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I am curious if you run your water heater on propane and electric both at the same time. When we first got our Monte, I would run the water to get wet, turn it off, lather up, water back on to rinse off. But after a while, I learned that with the water heater on both propane and electric I can shower just about as long as I want without running out of hot water. And that is even after the DW has just finished her shower. Or after she has run the washer.

Sometimes I will use both electric and propane. What I was referring to was with only using the electric. I haven’t actually experimented with the propane by itself.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with CamillaMichael and I hope I have the wisdom to follow what the other guys says, or NOT!

Experience is a great teacher, I just prefer to learn from the experienced not be the experienced.

Here's my "experience" to pass along. Speaking of chocks I learned that using scissor Chocks on the tires will not hold the trailer if the angle is severe enough. You should still use the triangle chocks as an extra backup, too. X-chocks are affected by air pressure (temperature and altitude) and as the tires shrink you will experience movement as I did on a hilly site at a campground near Yosemite. Not fun!!! I don't know if Roto chocks or X-chocks would fair better as they have four separate contact surfaces where my scissor chocks only have two.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I have a slider hitch. I have learned to never place firewood between my hitch and my truck's tailgate. I hate learning things the hard and expensive way.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I made it 3 years with my stock tailgate. Always followed a strict procedure for hooking/unhooking. Then last summer as I was unhooking at a campground, my truck was blocking the drive and another truck was waiting to get by. Well you probably already know what happened. In my rush to get out of his way, I lowered the jacks, I chocked the wheels, I unhooked the cord, I unhooked the breakaway wire, I pulled the release handle, but I forgot to lower my tailgate before pulling out from under the trailer. Expensive mistake.
I hope I learned something from that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I got the chock and tailgate thing but when a guy from Kentucky and Texas start talking about LONG HOT SHOWERS, I have to git off the internet.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have always used both electric power and propane on the hot water heater. It just recovers quicker and we can shower one immediately after the other and nobody gets cold water.

Chocks are the first thing out and the last thing picked up. Bal "X"chocks work really well, but if it is going to cool considerably over night, they need to be re-tightened. I have decided that, if the slope is too severe to suit me, to demand another site or go somewhere else.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I've learned that if you read almost all the MOC postings, regularly, and see what everyone has done to 'upgrade' or 'fix' the trailer, you will either go broke trying to get everything perfect, get frustrated because you cannot possibly afford to get everything perfect or you will give up on trying to get everything perfect and just live happily with what you can get.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
OK, don't ask me how I learned to double check to make sure the cord is unplugged. I am thankful for color coded wires when reattaching them. Also, I now know the yellow wire in the cord does not hook to anything on our model. Garry
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Back when propane was much cheaper than today, we'd run propane if we were paying for electricity and electricity if it was included in the park's rate. But now propane is much more expensive than it used to be, so we use the electric side almost exclusively, turning to propane only when boondocking or if we need to run both for a quicker recovery. It's rare that one of us can't wait 20 minutes after the other finished his/her shower.

In our prior Montana the propane side heated the water hotter than the electric side. In this one, the reverse is true. So we "prefer" whichever method gives us the hotter water.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote