Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You can't do WHAT?

This afternoon I was in our local Alco store buying some wind pants for Wayne. The sign on the rack said "All Avia wind pants and jackets 25% off." The pants were marked $15.99, so 25% less made them about $12.00. I also picked up 4 cans of dog food at .89 a can. Alco's registers are set up so that a customer can't see what prices are ringing up, so he or she doesn't know what price is being charged for anything until the cashier announces what the total bill is. The girl told me I owed her $19.55. I knew the bill should have been under $16.00. When I asked her if the price charged for the pants reflected the 25% discount, she said no, there was no discount, and "Is there a discount or sale on them?" I told her yes, and she went to check for herself. When she came back, she said--are you ready for this?--"Well, I already rang them up, so you'll have to pay the $15.99 price. I can't change that to the sale price."

After I located a manager, the girl decided that she could let me have the pants for $12.00

This goes right up there with people who can't figure out and then count change back to a customer, so good luck if the computerized cash registers that specify the amount of change a customer is to receive go on the blink.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad you stood your ground!
That’s just simply un-called for IMHO.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
reminds me of a few years ago when DW went through the local fast food drive through. She ordered our son a meal and herself a drink, should have been around $5.00 She pulled to the window and the girl said "$9.50", she told her "no" and what it should be. The girl stared at the cash register then said "well there is tax on that". DW was losing her patience when she said "not $4.00 in taxes, get a calculater" :-)
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We are raising an entire generation of idiots. Schools don't want teachers to teach math, they want the little heads full of mush to learn "technology" so they never learn to think for themselves.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
You got that right Jim. Here in NC it is all about passing the end of course test. If it's not there, it doesn't count. Today's generation cannot add, divide, multiply or subtract because they never had to memorize the tables. The age of technology does have its detractors and we see the results every day.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Definitely pay attention to the price charged on sale items. I bought some end of season flannel shirts at JC Penney a couple months ago. Sign said 40% off the already marked down sale price. Cashier rang them up at the marked sale price. I told her the sign said 40% off that and she quickly changed it. But had I not been paying attention, I would have missed it.
But for someone to tell you they can't change it like that, that is just poor training.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thats our education system, this generation of children are not all there up stairs. simple math, history, and english they dont know. have you seen them write they print most of the time.

As for the store and the prices not being correct, somebody droped the ball getting it registered into the system, the poor cashier probably didnt even know any better.
But a person has to keep on there toes, watch, and know the prices of what they buy or they will be taken advantage of.
all stores seem to do it for profit and when they get cought they clame a computer error, HA.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just remember that there is no law that says they have to charge as marked. Trust me on this. However, I will also stand my ground, and hope for the better price. I have one other option. Walk away without the goods and pay nothing.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We recently blought a new to us 2009 Montana and the office mgr and the DH went round and round because he requested a 60 Day temp tag since we would be in Florida for a month. She finally said we can not do a 60 day tag we only have a 2 month tag.....
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We had a similar situation at a local electronics store. price plainly marked on items with sale info also. total should have been 142.00 their total came out 496.00. I stopped them right there and asked what the heck they charged me for. They read it off and said that is the charge. There was a 8x10 sign 5 feet away with the correct price on it. She gave us the same song and dance about already rung up and that was that. I told her to cancel the whole transaction and she said she couldn't. By this time I had gotten loud enough to draw the manager over. He canceled the whole transaction and then gave us an additional 10% off along with an apology from and the dufus check out girl... Ya gotta keep your eyes open....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are a computer society and we rely on them for everything. It is true we now can not make change without the Conputer.I am a oldie and remember well when we ...had no Computers. In School we did everything by hand using our natural computer..the brain.

Started in Air Traffice control in 1961 and had not a computer. Did every thing by primitive radar and then old brain
Today we can not control Airplanes with out the computer amd most airplanes are fly by wire which means they can't fly without the computer.

We are far more smarter than we were years ago,,,,, as long as the Computer does not break.

I like computers.....they make me a lot smarter...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
We recently blought a new to us 2009 Montana and the office mgr and the DH went round and round because he requested a 60 Day temp tag since we would be in Florida for a month. She finally said we can not do a 60 day tag we only have a 2 month tag.....

In the words of Bill Engvall---here's your sign!!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I do computer support and repair for a living. I have a sign on my desk that says "It is our company policy to blame it on the computer". Gotta keep up with the times! (Yes, when I went to school we didn't have computers either)
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Hey its not only ck out people when I was younger we cut out everything in our sheet metal shop by hand Then we went to a computer plasma cutter now when the power goes out we shut down and go home. The young guys do not know how to cut out by hand anymore.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Gotta add my 2 cents here -- first -- kids today can not spell. They text, instant message and 'maybe' spell check their writing. Spelling has gone out the window because of this and it seems to be accepted. Spell checking results in the use of the wrong words -- check some of the posts you read even on some of our forums; there instead of their for example. Now I'm not an English professor and it has been along time since I took an English class but I am a child of the 50's and 60's school systems. We were taught to add and multiply in our heads; could do subtraction and division of numbers -- heck we could even do decimals and fractions. Ask a youngster today what 1/2 of a dollar is and you'll be lucky to get an answer, much less a correct one. As for cursive writing -- well, many school boards and senior school administrators have decided it is no longer needed. We read computer (electronic books) and other items on the computer -- all block text. Locally they removed cursive writing from the elementary schools for a couple of years. Reinstituted it after parents complained that their little darlings couldn't pass the SAT / ACT exams to get into college without being able to read and write in cursive. Now even those exams are computer based. I teach college level courses at one of our local military bases to adult (non-traditional students). Several months ago I actually had a young lady tell me she couldn't read what I had written on the white board for them to work on. I told her to move forward so that she could see. She then informed that she could see it fine -- she couldn't read it -- it was in cursive and she (a 20 something soldier) could not read cursive. Had never been taught it. I was thinking to myself -- what if she ever has to read old letters or other historical documents for her research and studies. Oh well, off this box I guess.

This brings up my final point -- if you want a good (albeit very sad) laugh, watch Leno on the night when he does 'Jaywalking' as I recall it being called. He interviews people of all ages on the streets there in LA. This past week he was asking people questions such as 'Who did we get our independence from?' (England expected -- we heard Russia, Texas, and Obama as I recall); 'When did we declare our independence?' (July 4, 1776 expected, would accept just 1776 -- heard 1850, 1920, year 1.) 'Where is the big wedding going to happen this Friday?' (Expected England, London or similar -- heard 'here', what wedding (they had just been asked if they knew about the upcoming royal wedding), and don't care.) Now, memory is not what is used to be for me and some of these may not be the exact words used in the responses but I think I've conveyed them close enough for you to get the idea.

I remember when our grandparents questioned our ability to keep this nation going, my parents questioned my daughters year group and now we are questioning their children. However, I definitely feel this next one is so much worse than any before them. Only time will tell I guess. Sorry for being so long winded, got into the topic and found I had much to say.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I called my credit card company today to let them know that we were going to be vacationing in England, France and Italy. She then asked me what country "England" is in. To her credit, she did admit that geography wasn't her strong suit. DUH!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I work at the hall of Presidents in The magic Kingdom in Disney world during the winter. Here are some of the questions I get/

Is this the hall of Presidents..me ..yes..what is in there???

On exiting/How come Ben Franklin is not in there.

This is not from kids..

Were all those guys presidents,???

What do they do.... do they sing and dance.

What was the Civil war all about??? I did not know Lincoln was a president. I thought he just gave a speech.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote