Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It has been awhile

It has been awhile since we traveled in the Montana. We have basically sat in one spot for the last 14 months. Now it is time to travel again. What a job. In all that time the rig hasn't been washed, so real big cleanup to do. We tend to accumulate stuff when we are not moving, so now big sort and repacking job. New batteries to be bought because the OEM battery is three years old. Careful scrutiny of the tires and greasing the wet-bolts is prudent. Air pressure checks, lug bolt tightening, tire inspection, electrical check of all systems, lubricating the hitch, lubricating the slide mechanisms, and treating all the rubber gaskets and the start up list goes on.

Every muscle I have hurts. Multiple trips up and down the ladder is a killer. Unbelievably, My roof came clean; I mean like almost no mildew spots after 14 humid months in western Washington State. It is white again! Used Protectall Roof Cleaner. Down on the sides where the black streaks show up, I used Best Black Streak Remover and it works amazingly well. Cleaning up that caulk that is a dirt magnet is just tedious, slow work.

This is sort of like starting all over again with a new rig.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Congratulations on your new rig.
Have a great trip across the country.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope your tires are still round. Since you were going to be there a while, did you maintain air pressure, in fact, it wouldn't hurt to overinflate while sitting still. Take it slow to get rid of any flat-spotting. I don't full-time and even I move the trailer more often than you did. But with your "calling" at the time, it's understandable.

The good news about muscle aches is that it's good to know you still have muscles!

What are your plans for the batteries? My deep cells are getting old (4 years) and I want to start thinking about these. Are you staying with 12v? Going to AGMs? Any brand or retailer in mind? Does How anyone know if the lifespan for 6v is longer?

May your travels be the best and your rump not get sore.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

It has been awhile since we traveled in the Montana. We have basically sat in one spot for the last 14 months. Now it is time to travel again. What a job. In all that time the rig hasn't been washed, so real big cleanup to do. We tend to accumulate stuff when we are not moving, so now big sort and repacking job. New batteries to be bought because the OEM battery is three years old. Careful scrutiny of the tires and greasing the wet-bolts is prudent. Air pressure checks, lug bolt tightening, tire inspection, electrical check of all systems, lubricating the hitch, lubricating the slide mechanisms, and treating all the rubber gaskets and the start up list goes on.

Every muscle I have hurts. Multiple trips up and down the ladder is a killer. Unbelievably, My roof came clean; I mean like almost no mildew spots after 14 humid months in western Washington State. It is white again! Used Protectall Roof Cleaner. Down on the sides where the black streaks show up, I used Best Black Streak Remover and it works amazingly well. Cleaning up that caulk that is a dirt magnet is just tedious, slow work.

Amazing how much time being retired requires, the work list keeps getting bigger too......and those aching muscles?.....glad to hear I'm not the only one.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Amazing how much time being retired requires, the work list keeps getting bigger too......and those aching muscles?.....glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Yeah, and I hear you never get a day off!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote