Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
furface
Established Member

M.O.C. #7011
Align-A-Site

Has any one used the Align-A-Site ? And are thay worth buying ?

Thank You

furface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have one and I used it on the DTV 3 lnb dish I used to have. It worked ok, not sure if it is worth the money though. I have not used it since I got the 5 lnb a few years ago. If you are going to use the 5 lnb you will not need it, just get it level to start and go with the settings.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Furface,
When we had our Hughes Satellite setup we used it all the time. It is a very useful tool for helping you see whether or not you're being blocked by something. Since we've done away with the Hughes thing we no longer use it. For what you get it is very expensive. But as I said it was very useful for the satellite internet connection.

If you can find a used one for around 30 to 50 dollars I'd buy it. But the $149.95 range that I've always seen is simply too much in my opinion.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Doesn't it also have a limitation with latitudes at a certain point? For example, if using it in Alaska or Canada it does not angle down enough. I thought I read that issue somewhere from someone's review and for its price I figured it should have covered the whole planet. They had to slant the antenna to compensate and that sounded like way too much work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I use this site for info on where to point the dish and it uses Google map with a line to show you what to look for as a reference point.
http://www.dishpointer.com/
It is a lot cheaper this way.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think you can get by with a Satellite Finder from Radio Shack for $30 that will do the trick. That's all I used to use. But now, since we have the Starband High Speed Satellite Internet system, when we are setting up it, we have a Birdog meter we use for both it and for setting up the DirecTV antenna. The Birdog is not something I recommend for setting up the TV antenna because of the cost, but I just thought I'd mention why I don't still use my Radio Shack Satellite Finder. Since I have the Birdog out, I just continue to use it for both setups.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I gave ours away to a guy that was going to buy one, told him we did not need it and with a little experience he would p-robably never use it again, was a big price for something of little or no use.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we first started traveling I was the "Gadget Master" I still am but not to the extent I was at the beginning. I tried the Align-a-site after doing a lot of setups on my Hughes and Directv dishes. I was also using the "screamer" meter like the Radio shack unit and the CW unit. I finally opted for a Birddog meter because I thought it was the only way to go. Again I was wrong. The bird dog is great but unless you are going to use it for work (as in installing DTV and Hughes systems as a career) it is way to much money. There several other meters that do exactly the same thing as the Birddog meter but for 1/5th the cost around 90 dollars. Here is a link to one such meter H.John Kohl bought one and seems to be happy with it's operation. It will do all you need to setup your Directv or Dish systems. I hope this helps... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
As Dave stated I have the Acutrac22 PRO MKII. In addition I have a good compass and level.
I make sure the dish base is level. Then use the elevation scale on the side of the dish and point the dish in the correct direction. Once there I search left and right for a signal once found then tweak the elevation.

If I find I am on the wrong satellite I just go back and start again. Normally get it on the second try at the most.

My biggest reason for using the Acutrac22 is that it does not have the signal bouncing issue the screamers do. So the signal reading is steady and easier to read and adjust.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
For 10 bucks (and an Iphone) you can get this fantastic satellite finder called Dishpointer AR. To use it you enter the sats you want to 'see'. In my case for Direct TV I selected 101, 110, 119 but you can select any satellites you want. Then you go outside and with the iphone horizontal you swing your little body around and watch the screen. At the bottom it will show you what angle your favorite satellite is at while the rest of the screen shows you your toes and footwear.

I swing (my big body) around looking for 101. Then when it says I'm on 101 I just raise the phone up, keeping the azimuth constant and the camera will show you your trees, billboards, trailer, DW, or whatever it's pointing at with the arc of your satellites superimposed on the picture. If there is something in the way you know it instantly.

It's an incredible application. I'm on a site with an itty bitty notch in the trees and it's the only place on the site that I can see a satellite without obstruction. I'm talking about a notch between two 25 foot trees that are 8 feet apart. Not a big notch. Without this app I never would have thought it possible to see my satellites from here.

I found the right place to stand to 'see' the satellites then I mounted the dish and just pointed it at the notch in the trees. When I went inside I had the best signals ever. I plan to use this app to survey sites before I pick one.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote