Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Capindad

M.O.C. #6802
Full Timing ?????

Would like information on FULL TIMING. Mail,Bills,Taxes, just how does it all work. We are talking about it in two years, or sooner.

Thanks

Capindad

Capindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's something you just do. We get our mail through the Escapees RV Club Mail Service. There are many who have domiciled in Texas, South Dakota, Florida, and I believe Nevada where there is no state income tax. We pay our bills on line and pension checks are direct deposit.

There will be others who will come along and give you nitty gritty details.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Capindad, if you go to the main page where you sign in, scroll down to Fulltiming in Your Montana, to the far right is an icon with an "A" in it. Those are the archived pages for this subject. You will find a wealth of information there, and I'm sure lots of the fulltimers will be along to share even more. Happy hunting!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Without doubt, the best place to go is www.escapees.com Join the club and attended an Escapade if possible.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Similar to Orv except our mail is through Alternative Resources in South Dakota. www.alternativeresources.net should have some helpful information for you. Some things we pay online (e.g. credit cards). Some we pay by mail (e.g. doctor bills). Some are drafted to our checking account (truck payment). Our bank also has pay by phone as well as online.

Taxes. I file federal online (turbotax) but you could just as easily do it by mail. South Dakota has no state income tax so we don't have to worry about that. Otherwise, if you have mail forwarding you should get your tax forms by mail.

Rx. Just take the empty rx bottle into your nearest friendly pharmacy and ask them to transfer the prescription. At Walmart we usually walk out with the rx in 15 to 45 minutes. Occasionally it takes longer if the other pharmacy is not open. It does not have to be the same pharmacy chain.

Don't hesitate with questions. That's why we are here. As CanDo said, there is much information in the archives. And you can always ask here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Capindad,

We're fulltimers and we use Washington State as our domocile, because there is no state income tax and license plates and insurance seem to be fair.

We use a UPS local store as our mailbox...this mailbox has a street address so we have no problems with delivery. We just call or email the UPS store and they send our mail to either another UPS store or sometimes we use general delivery, or deliver to the address we are staying at the current time.

We pay everything online. I wrote a check today, last one was almost a year ago. Everything is put on a credit card that gives us air miles and is paid online...gives us great records. We have lots of monthly expenses that are automatically put on the same credit card.

There is much more, but remember that it all can be worked out. We were very skeptical that the mail trail would be ok, but it does work. Our biggest problem is declining catalogs!

Good luck.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I basically have the same set up as sreigle. Alternative Resources took care of all my title/registration transfers and handles all my mail. I have my tow vehicle and trailer insured through Foremost under Farmers Insurance who is located next door to Alternative Resources and the DMV is also in the same plaza. One Stop shopping. You can't beat that I chose South Dakota because no State Income Tax, low sales/excise tax and reasonable insurance rates and a good mail forwarding company and of course no Vehicle Inspections. I will be pulling my trailer to South Dakota next week to get my drivers license and everything will be set to go. It was a breeze and sreigle helped me with lots of questions I had several months ago. We are here to help you so if you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Allison's comment about drivers license reminded me that every five years we have to return to South Dakota to renew the DL. I think the reason is the vision test, which is the standard ten second test done all over the country. You can do it up to six months prior to renewal. Since February, my renewal month, in South Dakota is a bit chilly, I'll renew this Fall. Vicki's is due in October anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote