Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
Bed liner vs. spray-in bed liners

I was at my Montana dealer today and he inquired about what he was going to install the Pull Rite Superglide hitch onto. (Bedliner, spray in liner, or straight bed). My original thoughts were to get a bedliner installed, and then have them cut out the bedliner where the support rails were to be attached.
My truck dealer highly reccomends the Line-X spray-in bedliner. I looked at his truck to see the application and it really looked pretty tough.
Does anyone out there have this type of bedliner application If so, how did they install the hitch Did they spray the bed and attach the hitch support rails on top of the Line-X?, or do you attach the hitch support rails first and then spray the bedliner in
I want the best solution figured out before all the goodies come in.
I have a little concern about attaching the hitch support rails over the Line-X because the Line-X is a very hard, rubbery type, spray-in liner, that seems to be about 1/16" thick. I'm worried about there being enough flex in the Line-X product to cause the hitch to work itself loose on the road.
Any ideas on the product, or the way to attach a hitch to a spray-in application

tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Britney 10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1704
Tina and jim, When we bought our truck it came with the spray in bed liner and we just had the hitch installed over it. We have not towed our Montana yet but it does seem to be sturdy. I will be watching this post to see what everyone else thinks or knows...
Britney 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Tina & Jim,
In my past truck, we had the bedliner. For some reason the wind seems to really concentrate and condense in the bed of the truck. It must have something to do with the height of the RV. Ours rattled so loud when pulling anything with it. We don't own the truck anymore, and in my new Dodge my husband insisted on the spray in liner and of course it is silent.

P.S. I remember last year on our way to Florida with the horses, I thought the liner was going to break into little pieces (the regular liner, not the sprayed in one) it was rattling so loud and we could actually see it being lifted by the wind.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Sue,I think you will find that you would like a sprayed in liner much better than drop in kind. A little more money but worth theextra cost. Things want slide around like they do in drop in kind, also want hold water tlike those other. Get the spray in Line X is one of the best just like Rhino Liner.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
Do you know what type of spray in liner you had put in?
Some applications seem to be a harder substance than others.
We saw a Rhino-liner spray-in that seemed to be a hard finish. The Line-X seems to be a slightly softer application.
Let me know!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Line X is what we have, i can throw what ever when not use it for towing and it doesn'e make a dent or scratch in it. Also things don't slid ea round in it either.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Sue,I think you will find that you would like a sprayed in liner much better than drop in kind.
Maybe my post was confusing, sorry about that. My past truck had the drop in liner.

My new Dodge has the spray in liner.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tnorfitz

Do you know what type of spray in liner you had put in?
While my truck was getting undercoated at Ziebart we had them put the spray in liner in. I believe it is Rhino, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Installed it afetr getting few scratches in bed, dealer removed my 5th wheel hitch sprayed liner on than reinstalled hich rails. No problems with anything working loose. One thought would be to have it sprayed and also have rails sprayed as well. Since I don't have my rails sprayed you can see rust where the hitch rest on rails and where it gets scratches on it. Look around and see who will work with you on it.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Line X is the way to go. I have had it in the last 3 trucks I have owned and would do it again. It is the toughest material I have seen. Nothing scratches it. It will fade in the sun though. Good luck on your choice.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
tnorfitz,
I used my truck without a bed liner for six months, then pulled the rails and had Line-X sprayed in. I reinstalled the rails ontop of line-x. That is my recommendation. As others have said if done by a reputable dealer it works great. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is the third truck we've had a fw hitch on top of a rhino lining spray in liner. Different brand but similar in result (slightly different texture, etc.). Never had a single problem with that combination. On a prior truck we had a drop in liner and I cut out around where the hitch was to install. With winter and summer temperature extremes it tended to curl on the cut edges. Then it got water, leaves, gravel, and other debris under it. Pretty well scratched up the bed under it. I was lucky I didn't get much in the way of rust under there but that's one of the problems I've heard people having. I really like the spray in liners, no matter which brand. The liner goes in first, let it cure for x days (whatever mfr says) then put in the hitch. Our liner was 1/4 in thick overall and more along the edges, like back by the tailgate. I haven't checked the latest one to see if it's the same way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #13
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I had the dealer drill the holes for the hitch then had the Line-X sprayed, I wanted the rough edges of the holes covered with something to help prefvent rust. The hitch rails were installed on top of the liner. MY dealer recommended to do it this way even though the holes had to be cleaned up slightly. Pulled to the rally, no problems so far. The drop in liners have a tendency to collect water and grit between the bed and the liner and that allows rust to start. The Line-X on my truck is very hard, not rubbery, and stuff slides around. I had a rubber mat in my 97, nothing slid around!

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tnorfitz

I was at my Montana dealer today and he inquired about what he was going to install the Pull Rite Superglide hitch onto. (Bedliner, spray in liner, or straight bed). My original thoughts were to get a bedliner installed, and then have them cut out the bedliner where the support rails were to be attached.
My truck dealer highly reccomends the Line-X spray-in bedliner. I looked at his truck to see the application and it really looked pretty tough.
Does anyone out there have this type of bedliner application If so, how did they install the hitch Did they spray the bed and attach the hitch support rails on top of the Line-X?, or do you attach the hitch support rails first and then spray the bedliner in
I want the best solution figured out before all the goodies come in.
I have a little concern about attaching the hitch support rails over the Line-X because the Line-X is a very hard, rubbery type, spray-in liner, that seems to be about 1/16" thick. I'm worried about there being enough flex in the Line-X product to cause the hitch to work itself loose on the road.
Any ideas on the product, or the way to attach a hitch to a spray-in application
First of all, I have a Pullrite SuperGlide in an 03 2500HD.
Secondly, There are NO hitch support rails. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.
Third, Get the spray in and forget the drop in.

As my signature says, I have the PullRite Superglide in an 03 2500HD and no part of the Superglide rests on the bed as it is NOT mounted as most other hitches.
NO PART. I REPEAT NO PART of the PullRite touches the bed and therefore would not effect a Line-X or Rhino liner. I wish I had gone with the Line-X or Rhino but instead went with the cheap plastic drop in crap. As a matter of fact, the PullRite doesn't even touch my drop in liner and it surely won't touch your spray in.

First thing the dealer does is to attach 4 brackets directly to the frame beneath the bed. Than he drills 4 holes thru the bed to correspond with 4 mounting holes in the brackets. Into these 4 holes he inserts 4- 3/4 inch steel rods that lock into place in the brackets with just a quarter turn. Than he mounts the Pullrite onto these 4 steel rods. The rods actually hold the hitch off of the bed. again, NO PART of the PullRite touches the bed of the truck.

Now when you remove the hitch and the 4 rods there is NOTHING on the bed with the exception of 4 holes. No bed rails, no nothing.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 05:18 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I'd buy you a Rhino Liner or Line-X if you'd give me your superglide and mounting hardware!

Skip, good point about protecting the holes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 05:37 PM   #16
Steve Ryan
Established Member

M.O.C. #2002
I gotta go with the Line-X too. After I saw what my boss did with his pickup(rancher/farmer) his Line-X is holding up great,I was sold. I too had the hitch installed then removed it to spray around all the bare metal holes. Living on the central coast of CA the salt air finds it way into everything. The pickup won't fit in the garage so outside it sits. The truck gets washed a lot.

My last pick up had a bed liner and it trapped a lot "stuff" around the rails just inviting rust to form. So I think the spray-on is the way to go. I'm not sure but I think Rhino has a selection of colors to spray on, last I heard Line-X doesn't.
Steve Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Spray-in, regardless of name, is the way to go. Had it on three trucks and all were in good shape when I sold them. I do recommend edge caps for you bed rim. The hitch won't care what you use. It will do its job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Tina and Jim - For additional information on this topic do a "search", for we asked this same question last spring when we were trying to make the same decision.

Based upon the input we received, we decided to go with the Rhino spray-in liner. We liked the Rhino for it seemed thicker and softer to us than Line-x, we liked the shinny finish, and items placed in the truck bed DO NOT slide. We have a lifetime (as long as we own the truck) guarantee against tears and fadding. Truck seems to ride quieter with the spray-in liner.

The spray-in liner is installed before the hitch. It kind of makes you sick to find out that the entire bed of your brand new truck is sanded to create a rough finish so the liner adhears effectively. You also need to allow the spray-in liner to "cure" for several days before you install your hitch. Generally, the hitch is installed after the liner application. For one reason if you ever sell your truck, you have those bumps in the truck bed, and new owner may not appreciate that, also, if you upgrade your truck and keep your hitch you would need to purchase another set of rails.

Living in the snow belt we felt the spray in liner was the best way to go because of moisture accumulating under a drop in liner causing rust, as well as the drop in liners are noiser and will crack.

Our hitch is simular to Glenn's. We also have the "rail-less" system. Ours is the pull-rite signature series. There are NO rails in the bed of the truck, only four small holes. When we remove our hitch, we have four plastic plugs to fill the holes, and our truck bed is perfectly flat - great for hauling things.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your decision.

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:34 PM   #19
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
Glenn,
There are 2 ways to attach the Superglide to the truck. One is the way you stated, but it is more expensive than the universal hitch rails that attach to the truck bed. In using the less expensive attachment, there are 2 hitch rails, or brackets, that attach to the bed of the truck. The Superglide attaches to these hitch rails, or brackets. I received the free demo tape from Superglide, and it shows both the types of attachments. The attachment you described leaves a completely flat bed, but the less expensive attachment leaves 2 rails that are about 1 1/2 inches high.
I transport a Grizzly 4 wheeler in the back for snow removal purposes, and these 2 rails should not present a problem for the 4 wheeler.
For those of you who recommended attaching the hitch, then removing it to spray in the liner to seal the holes, would you have to redrill the holes to get the bolts to fit through the sprayed openings. Seems like you would have to drill back to the metal to get the bolts to fit through. Or are the holes drilled large enough to allow some filling of the Line-X in these holes?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:34 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also have the Superglide hitch and a spray in bed liner. I had the dealership spray my liner in for me when I bought the truck. My rv dealership said it was better to have the liner sprayed in first wait a week to make sure it was good and hard and then bring the truck in to have the hitch installed. They had no trouble installing the hitch after the liner. Sure did a nice clean job. My Superglide has the universal rail system that stays in the truck full time. I take the hitch and put it in the garage when not towing. Have not had any trouble with the rails or the spray in liner. Would suggest the spray in over the drop in liner.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote