Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
2 new problems

As we venture down the road, we have encountered 2 new problems. I'm sure they are caused by many miles of jarring down our wonderful highways. Can anyone help...
First Problem...The screws fell out of the drawer track on the bottom drawer of the 4 four drwerbank by sink in 3400 model. Man i need a midget with a headlamp to get back in there. Any suggestions.
Second Problem... The pin that holds the square tube rotation bar for the front levelers feel out. It needs to be a shear pin to hold the bar in place so when you raise/lower thejacks move. Did a temp fix, but don't want to join the drop on truck club. Should there be a bushing that goes between driver and square tube that the pin also goes thru. Any help wuld be appreciated. As always life in an RV is never boring. Dave and Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I can not help you on the drawer.
The "pin" that goes in the square tube does not have any bushing. The clearance for the nut and nut end of the bolt is close on the motor side. Make sure there is clearance. I can get you the "pin" info Monday if you still need it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
John, we need the info as we have made the quick fix as well. Driving on the California highways our pin fell out and I had to put a bolt in to set up. I got a 1/4-20 stainless steel bolt with a lock on nut. Is this the proper fix?
Dick
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
The bolt and nut should work fine. If you lost one pin,more than likely you will continue to lose them. I would use a grade 2 bolt which is soft and a self locking nut and that can be your permanent repair. We had a sob many years ago and lost pins out of the shaft all the time,put in the bolt and never had a problem. I can't help you with the midget
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Dave,
How did you discover that it was missing?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

Second Problem... The pin that holds the square tube rotation bar for the front levelers feel out. It needs to be a shear pin to hold the bar in place so when you raise/lower thejacks move.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
John...We would love the info.....don't feel safe taking it off truck.
Dick...How long has it been since you replaced the bolt with 1/4 20 stainless and have you had any problems
Jay...To answer your question only one stablizer jack on front went down. other one stayed up because rod would not spin.
Thanks EVERYONE...this forum has saved our butts many times over. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Well, we set up and the 5er was lopsided. We put a board under one tire and it was still lopsided in the other direction. We knew we had a problem. So we put it back on the truck. We did an inspection and realized that the pin had come out. I put in a bolt to replace the pin so that we could set up. I plan to put the stainless steel bolt in, but am waiting to hear from John.
Dick
Old 10-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It sounds like this may be something to address before it happens. I might not have the bolt and nut with me when/if this happens.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Just an FYI - was told by a service manager, and saw it with my own eyes, that the front landing legs are designed to support the fifthwheel with just one leg.

Stainless is soft and I carry a couple of these for the pin replacements.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Lippert rep gave me a whole bag of the 1/4 20 "shear" bolts while at the rally. They were "grade 8" bolts. No need to dispute this information as this is what is used when the rigs are built and what the manufacturer recommends as the proper replacement. With the bolts were nylock nuts for the bolts. All the bolts were given out with nuts but there were about 50 of the nuts left over.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Just an FYI - was told by a service manager, and saw it with my own eyes, that the front landing legs are designed to support the fifthwheel with just one leg.

Stainless is soft and I carry a couple of these for the pin replacements.
Good info.
Dad
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Lippert rep gave me a whole bag of the 1/4 20 "shear" bolts while at the rally. They were "grade 8" bolts.
What do you mean by "shear" bolt?

Quote:
quote:[i]All the bolts were given out with nuts but there were about 50 of the nuts left over.
Are you calling your fellow rally members nuts? LOL

Dick and Sharon
Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Shear bolts are scored so that they will break at the location of the score when excessive force is exerted on the bolt.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

John...We would love the info.....don't feel safe taking it off truck.
Dick...How long has it been since you replaced the bolt with 1/4 20 stainless and have you had any problems
Jay...To answer your question only one stabilizer jack on front went down. other one stayed up because rod would not spin.
Thanks EVERYONE...this forum has saved our butts many times over. Teresa
I got these from my local Hardware True Value Hardware store.

The bolt or shear pin I use is a 1/4 x 3/4 Socket Shoulder Screw with 10-24 threads. The bolt has a 1/8" Hex wrench socket on the end. I use 10-24 Nylon insert lock nuts.
This is what it looks like

FYI, the threads are not part of the 3/4 length, just the shinny part.
Sorry I was slow posting this information.
NOTE: make sure it clears the Motor on the motor side. That side has the closets clearance.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks so much for the info, John. One more question, please? Where do you get these bolts?
Dick
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You can get them at most good hardware stores, such as Lowes, True Value. I bet OSH would have them, too.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote