Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Tom Jr

M.O.C. #8584
Thanks for all the help, going to pickup the 2955

Thanks for all the informative answers to the questions I had in the my previous post about buying a new 2955RL.

I am going to pick it up at the dealer on Friday. Since this is my first rv anything I should look for during the pre delivery?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tom Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Check out these PDI check lists. I used the 12 page on and gave the dealer a copy before I reported for the PDI. Take your time. Also live in it a couple of days close to your dealer and try and use all items even the heater.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Take your time especially if you feel hurried. Stop and inspect closer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. There are no bad questions at all. It can even help some of us seasoned campers as well just to review them from time to time. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Tom, it sure would be nice if you had someone accompany you when you do the pdi. Definitely, take your time and make sure the person doing the delivery explains everything to your satisfaction.
Print out the check list John gave you and look it over and if you have questions, ask them here and the MOC members will try our best to answer them for you!
Good luck and remember, there is no stupid questions, we want you to be happy too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with Emmel.. If you have a friend who is a experienced 5th wheeler take him along.It will be a big help. Take your lap top with you. Let the forum know when you are there. If you have a question type it in.. You will no doubt get mnay replies. Now there is a idea,,A on line PDI..A group of MOC'er can be on line with the PDI and questions can be answered instantly.. The dealer will go nuts.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rich - one step better - have a webcam on the laptop -- that way we could see the issue as well when helping...I know this sounds far fetched at this very moment but with the speed of internet and computer tech growth, who knows what will be available tomorrow!!!!!!!

Tom: If you see something that is wrong, stop -- write it down right then because if you don't, it will be forgotten. Everytime we've done a PDI, the dealer tech is in a rush. Remember, you are the one they have to make happy. Slow them down as needed and get all the information you need. If too many things are wrong or if something is going to take some time, as much as you want the unit right now, let them keep it a few more days to get it fixed. (voice of experience here -- we were in a rush to get on the road and had a heck of a time getting the Mountaineer back in to get some things fixed later. Had we been willing to wait a couple of days the wife and I feel our first 'outing' would have been much more enjoyable. All was fixed finally but took much longer later.)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Tom Jr, just take your time and make sure YOU totally understand what they are explaining. Make sure you don't feel like thet are doing you a favor. It's part of the deal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tom Jr.
One last comment. If you find what you consider a major problem then I suggest you hold back on some of the final payment. My thoughts are this: they normally ask for 10% down payment so you hold back 10% of the pay off value until the major problems are fixed. Some dealers are great and others need a little encouragement to get things done. The lack of green backs do help to energize those that need it.
And I gave you the rationalization if they ask why.
Best of luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't count on solving a problem by reading the owner's manual when you get home...it's just about worthless.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Bit too far fetched. My wife's laptop has a webcam and microphone built into it and you can do exactly what you are saying. Won't fit in Dick Tracy's yet, though.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
When I did the PDI (used the ones from this forum) on our 2955RL it took me about five hours (no joke!) to complete the inside and outside. We were fortunate that Lazy Days has you stay at least overnight in their delivery lot (with hookups) so I didn't have to worry about feeling pressured (well, to be honest I wouldn't haver regardless as this was a significant investment on our part and I figure that if they really want me to complete the purchase they'll just have to wait until I am sure I am happy with what I am getting). I also had them repeat everything they went over with us on how things worked. A clipboard, computer printout out of the PDI (at least two), a digital camera (to supplement my memory and notes), and my laptop (where I transcribed my notes on the electronic PDI and then sent via email to my customer service representative along with the photos) where extremely helpful to the process. Staying over on-site allowed us to use EVERYTHING at least once (even the heater though it was in the 80s) to make sure we had no further questions AND that, at least initially, there were no problems to fix right away (there were).

I reviewed my notes after the "walk around" with the service representative and then made up a list of follow-on questions for the next day. "Bella" did not leave the lot until the problems were either fixed or the parts were put on order (should be in now and we'll be arranging an appointment for warranty work).

You "own" this process...remember, at this point they are overhead and you are profit...without you taking delivery there is no profit!

Oh, and keep a good sense of humor...it tends to get you a better response from the service people!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've posted this many times. I never paid for an RV until I've done a PDI and all was fixed to my satisfaction. I then paid.
I bought a RV ready to use not one ready to be fixed at their convenience.
He who holds the money has the power.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Just a fyi and not sure if it would matter to you or not. Our friends just bought a 2008 29RL. Just happen to use the awning this weekend and when they put it out they discovered that the awning fabric was plain (no colored stripes to match the RV) It looks generic. They are not happy. We encouraged them to go back to the dealer. Unsure if that is how they are coming these days or not. Might be something you want to check out before you leave with the RV. It looks kinda grayish in color but no other color on it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Good luck with you 2955. We love ours!!! We are still working fulltime and don't get out much, but you are gonna love that king size bed!! Happy trails!

Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote