Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Replace shade with blinds

While I do think the day/night blinds are more attractive we really miss having the mini blinds like we did on our last fiver. Has anyone here replaced their shades with blinds? If so, how hard was it to do. Bob really only has use of one hand and the blinds are difficult for him to open/close.

Thanks,
Kalamity

Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
How difficult it is depends on how handy you are. Most mail order blinds come with reasonable instructions for installation. However, I am sure you would be able to find a custom blind shop in Denver or Fort Collins.

You might want to consider whether you want to replace them all or certain ones in key locations. We don't use some of ours very much. Some of the very narrow blinds seldom get opened while the larger one are up and down like a yoyo. There is probably some kind of guarrantee with the installed ones.

You might want to check the internet for some ideas and price conparison.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I have the blinds. I ordered my Montana with them after having the less than favorable experience with the day/night shades.

Since Keystone installed them I cannot say for sure how hard or easy they would be to install, but from the looks of them I would guess easy. It is easy to unscrew the fabric cornices. I did that plenty of times repairing day/night shades. Then just put up the brackets and hang the blinds.

Although I intend to replace my blinds with better quality ones in the future, I must say I really am happy with blinds. I have so much more control of light and privacy at the same time. I like the overall look and feel of blinds much more than those day/night shades. I found it so much easier at night to just walk around the unit twisting that little rod to close them. With the day/night shades it was a pain to "get into position" and hope you could pull them down without breaking one.

I believe you can order the exact sizes you need from Keystone, but I would not do that if the only blinds they have are the same ones they installed in my unit. They are cheap, cheap, cheap.

I do not think you will regret going with the blinds especially if you buy better quality. By better quality I mean even the cheapest blinds they sell at Home Depot or Wal-Mart are better than the ones Keystone installs.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
We once put a mini blind in a camper that had the roll up type. It was difficult because we did not know how or want to take the valance off the window. Felt like a contorsonist (sp) putting it in there. I think it would be more than a challenge with the use of only one hand. I ordered the blind from Altmyers (a bed/bath type store) they make to order. This was about 10 years ago. It was not that expensive ($26 for one window). Maybe a dealer would help you out installing under the circumstances??? I agreee the day/nights are hard to open/close even with two hands! We had our dealer loosen ours all up...
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Thank you for all the replies. We'll pull it out of storage next month and take a look.

I really don't want to mix and match blinds & shades even though, technically I guess ours came that way with the kitchen blinds.

I also have had trouble before with the shades (even though I have two hands to do it) especially if I'm trying to reach around a bird cage that sits on the desk while we're parked. Twisting that stick is just so much easier.

fla native,
Do you have the valance around your blinds and curtains or ??

Thanks again for the ideas and Happy Easter,
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Kalamity, the valance in that camper was attached to the wall, more a cornace. Could not figure how to get it off without damage. If you can get that off (if you have one), you could probably install the binds yourself. Also, the tools they use are different... instead of phillips or regular screw driver you need the alan wrench type with square, star, etc. tips. We bought a little tool box with them, but not all that we have needed over the years are in the kit. Air has round... how do you turn a round on round screw???? Maybe it was stripped at factory???? You may learn some new cuss words. Have a wonderful Easter!
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Yes, I have the fabric covered ones that come in the Montana's. The are easy to take off and put back up. But like Sissyph said you need the correct screw head on your driver.

My plan is to someday, when I have the time, take on the task of getting rid of these cornices and making lightweight fabric valances and curtains. I think it will improved the overall look of the interior space.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote