Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Slide Gears Broke

2015 Montana 3610 large slide on street side hydraulic gear teeth broke on both sides. We were camping in an are without phone and internet. While moving large slide out, the slide caught a cabinet door that had opened during transit. We heard a loud pop and grinding noise.the far end of the slide continued to move out while the close end stopped moving. We move the slide out by hand and both gears had teeth missing. Dealer only had one gear assembly as did eBay.. Lippert sent us two out the next day from shipshewanna to Reno. They were a great help.. Dealer in Reno wanted 6 to 8 hours of labor at 150 an hour. Took two of us about an hour.. Need floor jack, wooden 4x4 , 1/2,,,9/16,, 7/6 wrenches, and a tape ruler.. needed a sawzall because factory stripped one bolt.. anyone else have their gears broken?

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Wow. even if you did not have the tools with you, you could have bought a set and still saved over what the dealer would have charged.

You do reinforce my ritual of making sure slides are clear before moving.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Wow. even if you did not have the tools with you, you could have bought a set and still saved over what the dealer would have charged.

You do reinforce my ritual of making sure slides are clear before moving.
No, the slide grabbed a cabinet door.. would a cabinet cause the gears to break?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The very day we brought our new 2015 Montana 3440RL home from the dealer the same thing happened to us. A lower cabinet drawer opened in transit. When I opened the kitchen slide it caught the wood trim on the slide and split it. I stopped the slide immediately. Was I pissed? Anyway the dealer fixed it like new and put an additional cabinet lock on the open drawer. As I look around the camper there are several other spots that this could happen to. From that day on, I open one slide at a time ONLY after I check for any obstructions prior to pushing the buttons. I have seen that lower drawer open in transit a couple of times. I keep telling myself that this is only an RV, not my home.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We’ve had a couple incidents with cabinet doors vs slides. We now use Velcro straps through the opposing handles on all the doors that can open and jam a slide. Haven’t had an issue since we started doing this.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Looks like we will have to do the same.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most people can do almost anything to these campers if they use a little common sense and try. Some physically can’t but if you are physically able and are willing to try most of this stuff is just good old common sense.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thing is, this is a design issue, along with the medicine cabinet over the sink.