Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Cabinet doors finishes

Hey! I have spattered something on several of my lower kitchen cabinet doors that has left ugly spots in the finish. I asked Lazy Days in Tampa what it would take to fix them, and they came back with rebuilding the doors for about $5K!! That seems just a TAD too high, but I guess they just do not want to be bothered. Does anyone have any experience in sanding and re finishing small areas of cabinet doors? Any you tube videos on how to do it? If I can find a way to do an adequate job I may try it, otherwise I might pull the doors and take them to a cabinet shop. Either way I save $!

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 AM   #2
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
It may help to have a photo/s of the problem area. A refinish may be a last resort only.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Ill try to get some tomorrow. in the shop for body work following a tire blowout right now.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might give Middlebury Hardwoods a call, 574-825-9524. I don't know how many years they have been making the doors and cabinet parts for the Montana's, but at the 2014 national rally, they provided some small cans of stain, different tones for different years of production. If they can't provide any stain, maybe they can get you close in a paint store brand that will be close. Their website is http://mhpi.us/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks I'll check with them tomorrow.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

You might give Middlebury Hardwoods a call, 574-825-9524. I don't know how many years they have been making the doors and cabinet parts for the Montana's, but at the 2014 national rally, they provided some small cans of stain, different tones for different years of production. If they can't provide any stain, maybe they can get you close in a paint store brand that will be close. Their website is http://mhpi.us/
Old 06-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Have you tried some of the wipe on wood finish restore products? For small scratches and minor blemishes they can often cover it to the point you can't really tell it was ever there. Don't know if they would work for what ever caused your spots though. Might be worth a try.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks. I didn't get the chance today to call anyone, but your idea may have a shot.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Have you tried some of the wipe on wood finish restore products? For small scratches and minor blemishes they can often cover it to the point you can't really tell it was ever there. Don't know if they would work for what ever caused your spots though. Might be worth a try.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #8
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
My dealer recommended Old English Products to hide nicks and blemishes from the normal wear and tear. I haven't used it on the trailer yet but might work.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Hey! I have spattered something on several of my lower kitchen cabinet doors that has left ugly spots in the finish. I asked Lazy Days in Tampa what it would take to fix them, and they came back with rebuilding the doors for about $5K!! That seems just a TAD too high, but I guess they just do not want to be bothered. Does anyone have any experience in sanding and re finishing small areas of cabinet doors? Any you tube videos on how to do it? If I can find a way to do an adequate job I may try it, otherwise I might pull the doors and take them to a cabinet shop. Either way I save $!
The spots are probably just in the lacquer top coat, you can clean well scuff with a 0000 steel wool wipe off and re coat the lacquer. CLEAN is very important. Try a small spot on the back of the door to test. I have fixed many doors like this in my 20 yrs as a cabinet maker.Your face frames are Vinyl wrapped unless you have a Legacy edition.

Mark
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Not sure what you mean about face frames and vinyl wrapped. The dealer tried to tell me my cabinets were not wood, but vinyl coated. As I told him and he found out, my cabinets are real wood. However, your suggestion of 0000 steal wool and some lacquer could be right. Still open to all options!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

The spots are probably just in the lacquer top coat, you can clean well scuff with a 0000 steel wool wipe off and re coat the lacquer. CLEAN is very important. Try a small spot on the back of the door to test. I have fixed many doors like this in my 20 yrs as a cabinet maker.Your face frames are Vinyl wrapped unless you have a Legacy edition.

Mark
Old 06-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I don't know what the program was in 09,All the doors are solid wood but the new face frames are a vinyl (wood grain and color) wrapped non-hardwood cabinet face frame. The Legacy model has solid wood and lacquered face frames. You can buy clear lacquer at ACE hardware or The Home Depot, Lowes etc. really easy to use and dries fast. Don't use polyurethane no no no..

Mark
Old 06-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Thanks for the information, as I am planning to add a few pieces of wood in my RV and want to match the finish/stain. I was told hickory is the hardwood used? Guess I'll ask when I call also.

I'm sure the damaged cabinets can be fixed like new for well under $5K! Wow!!! Guess they wanted to see if you might say "yes".

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill.vannuys

Thanks for the information, as I am planning to add a few pieces of wood in my RV and want to match the finish/stain. I was told hickory is the hardwood used? Guess I'll ask when I call also.

I'm sure the damaged cabinets can be fixed like new for well under $5K! Wow!!! Guess they wanted to see if you might say "yes".
Is this your trailer and inside wood? If so it's cherry.
http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/...ontana/480187/

Mark
Old 06-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Mark,
Thanks. That is the inside finish on my RV. It was listed as cherry on my purchase, but I've tried the Minwax Cherry stain, and it looks a little different on Hickory. So maybe I am using the wrong hardwood or it's a different brand/type of cherry stain?

Thanks to Walt for surfacing the refinishing question as it has helped me with my similar question; curious to hear what he decides. I'm calling tomorrow as the 3 grand daughters hijacked me to the Zoo today

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I would take a door or drawer front and a decent sized piece of unfinished cherry hardwood to your local paint store, like Sherwynn Williams or Rodda or some other contractor paint store and ask them to do a stain match. My rig has cherry cabinets also but have more brown in the stain yours is almost like 5yr old cherry with just clear, but you probably don't want to wait 5 yrs . If you're bent on trying another try some Minwax cherry on some cherry wood.
Sand it very smooth to 180 or 220 grit before staining.
I wish you were near here I'd do it for you.

Mark
Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Mark,

Thanks for the idea on how to match the stain. I've done it for paints, but didn't think about doing it for stain. Great suggestion! Thanks!

You're right about there being more brown in the stain; I thought the same thing. I tried the stain on a piece of hickory and it wasn't right. The cherry wood is probably what I'll do at the local Sherwin Williams store. I thought about using a different type of wood which would take the stain differently. Keystone told me cabinets were Hickory...it was an answer...? I expect it may vary or perhaps it's never hickory.

Thanks again! Hope to meet you at one of the Rallys sometime.

Bill

Old 06-07-2016, 01:18 AM   #17
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Washley1 if you figure out what your stain color is and where to get can u update? We also have your color I think, same yr unit, same yr, it like a light oak, and have tried tons of colors to match with no luck. It has a brown almost oak look.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #18
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Bill, no I have not done anything yet> Trailer is stuck at Lazy Days getting body work done from the blowout we had back in April. As soon as I get it back I will start looking in earnest. And as I recall we have identical trailers, so I will let you know if I get a match and where. TS Colin has probably slowed the techs at down again. Good thing we dont have any camping plans until Carol gets her cast off!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Washley1 if you figure out what your stain color is and where to get can u update? We also have your color I think, same yr unit, same yr, it like a light oak, and have tried tons of colors to match with no luck. It has a brown almost oak look.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 AM   #19
GordieGaffer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13979
don't use steel wool use scotch bright pads if the finish is water based it will rust under the finish just take the finish off and not the stain than refinish with poly that matches make sure that you use the right sheen clear matt semi or high gloss
GordieGaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:27 AM   #20
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Here is the response from Keystone on my possible finish. I'll let you all know the outcome.

"Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. The finish you are looking for could be one of 3 you will have to determine which one fits your unit. Tobacco Cherry, Tobacco, Ash. The vendor is Patrick Ind. You can also contact them at (800)331-2151 and you may get assistance from them as well. "