Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Best way to hold books up?

I am putting books, like hiking manuals, bird books, etc in the cupboard above the dining room table. My only frustration is that they always fall over and slide around when we are traveling. Then I have to put them back in order and prop them up again when we get there. Any suggestions on how to keep them upright when on the road?

I am also trying to figure out the best way to store the kites, flags, wind spinners that are so delicate. I don't want to damage them in the basement because when my husband is in a hurry he tends to not pay attention to the little stuff. Any suggestions on this? I was thinking putting little hooks in the cedar lining in our closet and hanging them in there.

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
First, don't put too many eggs in the basket, or too many books in one area.

Book ends may help?? Or, baskets?? Any container that holds them. Or just lay them down to start with and pile them up??

The kites, some of our members have stuff hanging from their ceilings. I don't know how they do it, maybe they will pipe up some.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
I use spring tension curtain rods in front of the books and if there is a large empty space one on the end between the book and the side of the cabinet. You could also stack games in the space not filled in with books.
remhob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Rolls of paper towels.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I don't have that many books because we aren't full-timing. We go for about 2 weeks at a time. I will have to try the various ideas here and see which one works best for the location they are in. I lay them down right now but they slide every where because it is a very long cabinet...it runs the over top of the dining room (front to back of the trailer). It is actually 3 cabinet doors long. So they end up all over the place. I have games in there too but they slide as well because we don't have a lot of them. I think what I need to do is buy more stuff! That way I could cram it all in there and it would hold them up.

As for the wind spinners thanks Carol! I forgot that people did that. I saw how Kohl had hung his airplanes up. I don't think I could reach them though. I was thinking those new 3m Command Strip hooks on the wall and just hang them from those.

We did just find the niftiest trick for our rocker recliners in the big window area at the back. I bought 2 THICK pool noodles, and jammed them under the chair edge and then put a whole one the length of the window. The chairs do not even budge and we don't have to strap them down or build a platform to lock them in! YEAH!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lay books down to fill the space, side to side. Tension rod to keep them from moving fore-aft.

Recently when we purchased a large package of paper towel rolls Vicki used some of those in place of tension rods. Not only did it hold the books in place, it gave her a place to store those paper towels. In other words, be creative.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
We use one of the smaller cabinets over the sofa and put a tension rod ( one of refrigerator ones) in there to keep from moving. Works great. Also like your idea using the noodles. Must try it.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Joyce uses the space between the bed and the wall under the little shelf for her books. The bed and the wall keep them in order.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
My suggestion would be to put the books in a plastic container like the shoe box size or whatever will fit in your cabinet. Easy to carry back & forth as you load and unload.

We keep our snack and salt & pepper and some condiments in a basket in this area.

Extra pillows, blankets or sleeping bag for the little guy could be stuffed in there as a filler.

You might be able to get a totes for all your special, delicate spinners, etc. we keep our globe, flags and outdoor necessities all in a tote in the "belly of the whale".
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote