Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Bicycle racks

Where in the heck do you guys put a bicycle rack on your 5er or better yet, what type of bicyle rack do you use?

This past weekend I hooked up my bike rack to back end of the 5er knowning that the weight capacity of this hitch was not strong. It is a four-bike rack and probably weighs 50 lbs. or less. I thought the weight capacity of this hitch was 200 lbs. so I thought I would be close but safe. I put two bikes on it. When I got to my destination the weight of the rack and bikes had bend the hitch bar down. So, on the return trip I put one bike in the back of my truck and reluctantly put the other bike on the rack in the back of the 5er.

I don't want to haul the bikes in the bed of the truck unless I have to. At times, I carry a small kayak in the bed so there is a space problem.

I have seen bumper racks for motorhomes, but my Montana doesn't have a bumper. I have seen ladder racks and wondered if those carried the weight of two bikes well.

As a side note: if that hitch on the back can't carry two bikes and a rack, what in the heck can it carry?

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is the first I have heard of the receiver bending and that does not bode well for my plan of carrying our bikes on the rear of the rig. I installed a front mount hitch receiver (Hidden Hitch) on the truck and have successfully carried four bikes although they do interfere with the operation of the high beams and do take some getting used to in terms of the drivers view. With the new rig, I intend to try to move the entire assembly to the rear. I had planned to stabilize the possible swaying with straps to the side frame of the rig, now I may have to entertain some sort of strap to the ladder to try to prevent bouncing, which I would think was the primary cause of your failure. I have nothing to lose, other than a bent receiver it sounds like. I think if your rig is under warranty, I would have the dealer take a look at it. Wonder if Lippert is using Chinese steel?? Sorry for your misfortune, but I do appreciate the post as it will at least give me the opportunity to try some preventive measures.
Bingo
On edit: with regards to your inquiry regarding the ladder racks, there have been a few reported failures here on the MOC of the ladder attachments at the roof and rear of the rig as a result of these types of racks. Most do not recommend them, but as with everything, the ultimate decision rests entirely on you.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I carry 2 bikes on a rack on mine with no problem at all. If the hitch supports are bending, you have a hitch problem. I use this rack which makes it easy to load/unload the bikes and hold them securely.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGUQ8gIwBA#
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have that same hitch on our Montana and I feel it is useless unless it is supported by extra bars welded on. I have a two bike rack and it moves a lot when loaded, not what I want. Try using a bolt and nut to secure the rack in the hitch, that does strengthen the setup, but still not enough to satisfy me. I'm presently looking to have a 2" hitch installed.
Personal opinion on the ladder rack, don't! These racks seemed to loosen the ladder, also not a good result.
But, if you decide on the ladder rack, I have one I'll sell real cheap!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Eddie I would open a file on this with Montana, you have a 2010 trailer, so it should be warranted.
I would ask Montana if you could have a welding shop fortify the factory hitch and have them pay for it.
It doesn't look like you went over their 200# weight advisory.
If they don't, I would do it anyway.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I carried 3 bikes on my hitch rack once and will not do it again until I have some strength welded into the system. I have a backup camera that helped me keep an eye on the bikes but that almost made it worse by watching them flop all over the place. The bike rack is strong since I use it on the truck to take bikes to trail ride areas and they do not move. I have some ideas on how to strengthen the hitch and will post pictures once I get it done. If anyone has already made a change on theirs, I appreciate knowing their ideas.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you really want to haul some weight:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20110218NewRearCarrierMountedOnMontana?feat=direct link
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Here is the rack I use with excellent results. Very stable, easy to load and unload, great quality.
But stability will be compromised with a lightweight, poorly designed and built receiver. The 1 1/4 receivers many RVs seem to come with are inadequate IMO so I will be having installed a semicustom 2" receiver hitch on my Monty. Need to carry 4 bikes though and I don't really want 4 bikes on the rear rack so I'm still looking at my options. I think 2 of the bikes will fit inside...

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...7XTR%20T2.aspx
Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
This is what we did two years ago. the bikes don't move or bounce around any more
Bike Rack
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We had MorRyde in Elkhart, IN, weld a custom hitch on our '06 Montana, (which did not come with the flimsy hitch they have now), it is 2 inch and rated for 300 lbs tongue weight and 3000 lbs towing weight. We only use it for bikes and have the Swagman hitch as CORattler has. Securing it tightly to the receiver is key to stopping sway and movement.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
I first tried to attach my 4-bike rack to my tow vehicle. The horizontal bars of the rack were too long, meaning I couldn't extend them all the way out before they hit the 5er itself so it wouldn't fit.

I found this tray mount style http://www.bikerackshops.com/HR1000K.html

I know there won't be any vertical bars to worry about. Now, the question is this: Is there enough room from where my bikes sit on the tray to the bottom of my 5er overhang? If my bikes do fit under the 5er this will be my choice.

One thing I know.....the hitch on my two vehicle can carry the weight.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As long as you don't have to make a sharp turn?????
Bingo
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
bncinwv - at this stage of my 5er driving I don't do anything quick, sharp or to the extreme. Though I am in my 50s I operate this thing like I am 30 years older.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Just returned from trip to Tucson and back to Tennessee (2300 miles)with the new camper. No problems noted with two bikes on rear hitch. This statement may bring me bad luck! I do strap the bikes and rack to the ladder and camper on each side near rear stabilizers to prevent up/down and sideways movement of the bikes and rack as much as possible. The possible bouncing is what worries me. Now, I may lose the hitch, bikes, rack and ladder next trip!!! Maybe we can use the new sewer boom in some way for bike hauling.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I too connected my 4 bike rack up to the 1 1/4 inch hitch installed from the factory. After putting our 2 bikes on, the hitch bounced up and down very easily. I decided the bike would stay home till I get a welder to come out and make a real hitch for me.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Starting to sound like I have some injuneering to do. The first trip will be for the duration of six miles from the mini-storage to the campground in about three weeks. I will be paying close attention to the rear-view camera and will then decide how best to remedy this, new receiver, strengthened receiver, something?? The bikes are going on the back of the rig one way or another, might have to call Ozz in to the rescue!!!
Bingo
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I use a bike rack on the front of my truck. I have a front mount hitch, rated at 500 pounds tongue weight. Yakama 2 bike rack. Works great. No impact on cooling.
Down side is if you travel at night, it does impact your lights some.

The hitch on the back on my Montana has LOTS of bounce and causes problems.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Someplace I've seen a bike rack that is installed on top of the pin box. It seems there would be less bounce and there is plenty of room.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Here is the receiver hitch I used. I used the bolts application and it was allot of drilling 6 bolts on each side, and use all six. It is really stable and I think it is a real great hitch.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/adjusta...ch-p-1992.html