Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Migrating Snowbird ?

Having recently retired, we are discussing heading to Florida say in Feb. Now I know from reading Snowbird post that long term places to stay for a month or so is hard to come by and we are not sure where we would like to stay. So the question is, - is it possible to head down there and stay at different places for a few days and move on? We are thinking of Tampa and further south. We would like to try different places before we commit to 2 - 3 month leases in an area that we would not be happy in.
We also plan on joining PPA and would also consider staying in State Parks while looking around at different campgrounds. I know that daily rates or weekly rates would be higher but I guess that is the price we have to pay for not knowing exactly what we want to do.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I will throw out a few in the Tampa area. EJ Simmons Park in Ruskin, Ft. DeSoto Park in Pinellas County, Hillsborough State Park, Alafia River Park. Also, the Sarasota area has quite a few and are only 45 min to an hour south of Tampa. Good luck
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
There are so many "Bird Farms" here and they usually have transient spaces to do exactly what you are thinking. If it were not for highway noise, you could roll down your window and listen then follow the clacking sounds of the shuffleboard courts. For a little serenity, I would suggest some of the Florida State Parks along the way. They do however restrict you to a 14 day stay in any one month at each park. Check out http://www.floridastateparks.org/ Staying there you can day trip to close by parks and get a look see for yourself.

The climate changes near FT. Meyers in that it is a few degrees warmer than the Tampa area. North of Tampa is similar to southern Georgia, several degrees colder, particularly in February. I don't think you will have any trouble finding a place to stay. I'm sure some of the others on the site might have something to offer from the perspective of Snowbirds and what they like about certain parks in the area. Also check out http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ to see some reviews of area parks.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
If you are in the Tampa area, Quailrun RV Park off 75 in Wesley Chapel (north of Tampa) is a pretty nice park...I would recommend you make sure you have a reservation for your next destination during the time frame you mentioned...the Snow Bird population in winter is high.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Your biggest problem in February is finding an opening, even for a couple of nights. State parks are full here in the winter. We have a couple of short stays planned at SP's this winter, but we made our reservations 11 months prior, which is a must. You may get lucky and hit a cancellation, but it will be LUCK!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil...That is going to be hard to do as you are in prime snowbird season. Based on last year our Rv park near Disney world keeps some spaces open for Disney goers. Give me a PM when you are ready to head this way and let me see if we can help out. Might even find a spot for a month or so...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
We are staying at the Blueberry Hill RV Resort in Bushnell this winter. Due to arrive on 1/1/2011

The RV Park is right off of I-75, Exit 314 - adjacent to the Super Walmart - which in very handy.

They had openings all of last year and based on the phone calls I have received sound like it agian this year.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
My DW and I are looking at Florida this winter also. We like to ride bikes so we are looking for areas with lots of bike trails. I'd look at areas that cater to your interest and go there.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote