Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Alum Wheel TP?

Does anybody know the max TP we can put in the 2006 aluminum wheels? The steel spare says 3,750 on the side, but I cannot find it on the four wheels on the RV.

Thanks.

Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have an '06 3400RL and the max TP is 80psi. Mine are Tredit wheels that look like aluminum but are not......The total weight is 3420lbs each....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe from previous posts that they were originally rated at 80 psi. Through the magic of fuzzy science (that may have originated in China) some have said that the ratings have been increased to 110 psi. The time that I remember this, the re-rated pressure was addressed by a paper label applied to the rims. As for me and mine, the rims were rated and I believe stamped at 80, so that is what I use as Phil stated. Who to believe??? Your choice,
Bingo

PS: Dang Phil, those are some Heaaaaaaavvvvy rims!!!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
While at Elkhart last Fall, at the Fall Rally, I visited the Tredit Wheel Company in an effort to get the entire skinny on these wheels. The story was that Keystone had the wheels recertified to support the 7k axles of the '07's and above. The recert was successful and the '07's with the 7k axles were recertified to handle the 110 psi tires and the heavier axles. The 06's were not involved in this recert process and therefore are not rated above 80 psi, however, they are the same wheels as the 07's. Go figure!!!! I guess it is "buyer beware". The wheels would probably be ok for the greater psi's but tire dealers MAY be remiss for installing the higher rated tires.......

Personally, I will buy different wheels (Alcoa Aluminum) and install the Goodyear 614's this winter.........

Bingo, they are heavy!!!!!

BTW: Tredit did issue stickers to be placed on the wheels.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
This is an interesting topic, as I've been looking for new tires, and some have TPs of 110.

I keep a file of forum subjects that I think might be of future value...I print them and file them. Upon reviewing my tire file, I came upon an email that Brad (bsmeaton) got from Tredit (they make the aluminum wheels). The email states that when Keystone upgraded the axle's GW from 6,000 to 7,000 (post 12/06), Tredit certified the SAME wheels for 110 psi and 3,750 max weight. I just verified this information by talking to two ladies at Keystone...who knew nothing, but gave me Tredit's number, and they did the verification.

So the answer to the OP's question is 110 psi.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Tom, That's probably one of few things the mfg's have done in our favor! I want to up grade to "G" rated tires but wasn't looking forward to buying new wheels too. I thought briefly about the Michelin "E" rated, but at 3040lbs, the rating isn't high enough for our trailer.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

This is an interesting topic, as I've been looking for new tires, and some have TPs of 110.

I keep a file of forum subjects that I think might be of future value...I print them and file them. Upon reviewing my tire file, I came upon an email that Brad (bsmeaton) got from Tredit (they make the aluminum wheels). The email states that when Keystone upgraded the axle's GW from 6,000 to 7,000 (post 12/06), Tredit certified the SAME wheels for 110 psi and 3,750 max weight. I just verified this information by talking to two ladies at Keystone...who knew nothing, but gave me Tredit's number, and they did the verification.

So the answer to the OP's question is 110 psi.

Tom, Not all '06 Montanas got the upgrade. It is ONLY those that have the 7k axles. My 06, and others, only came with the 6k axles. Your answer is correct only if the OP has the 7k axles AND the stickers from Tredit.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Tom, Not all '06 Montanas got the upgrade. It is ONLY those that have the 7k axles. My 06, and others, only came with the 6k axles. Your answer is correct only if the OP has the 7k axles AND the stickers from Tredit.
Not trying to argue here...just reporting what the email from Tredit said and what I was told today on the phone by Tredit. When I talked to Tredid, I very carefully explained that my Montana is an 07 year model, made in July 06, and has 6,000# axles. The way Tredit explained it to me was that all aluminum wheels (like mine) were 'grandfathered' under the recertification because they are all the same...it was just a formality.

Also, Keystone did not put any 7k axles on 2006 models.

The 7k axles should not need an upgrade, my oem Missions have a GW rating of 3,520...which covers 7k.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Tom, Perhaps Tredit has reconsidered since I was there in person last fall. They would not give me the upgrade stickers to place on the wheels to let tire installers know the wheels were rated for the higher pressures. This would certainly save me some money this winter. I have an appointment at MorRyde this October so I will revisit the Tredit folks and, hopefully, get the upgrade stickers. I even had photos of the inside of my wheels showing the model numbers and was denied the stickers. Oh well, will try again.....
Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Maybe on Tues (Monday's a holiday) I'll call Tredit again and see if they'll send confirmation in writing.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom, I would appreciate the contact information when you get done. I forgot who I talked to when I was there, other than a very polite woman....

Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
guys i have a big sky 5th wheel upgraded to g's (110 psi) on the back on my wheel was the max psi and wt....might look there
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We are talking about an upgrade of an existing wheel that has a max weight capacity of 3,420 stamped on the back.

On edit...the weight on the back is 3,042.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Had a long discussion with Tireit yesterday. The original lady I talked to passed me on to a more experienced wheel expert. Bottom line...they made the TR6 (our alum wheel) only for the Montana. That wheel is no longer being made. He said it is a very capable and tough wheel and he would have no problem recommending it for use with a G rated tire. I mentioned Goodyear's G614, he responded that it is one of the very best out on the market and worth the extra cost...he called it a "steel on steel" tire...I gathered that meant steel tread and steel side.

Edit #1: It's now just after 3 PM. A while ago I received an email from one of our former members who did a great deal of research on this subject. In his email he sent a copy of an email he got from Tireit saying the TR6 wheel was recertified to 3,750# and 110 psi, and the G614s would work fine. I then called the lady at Tireit who sent that email...it seems she is now "not sure." So I sent her a new email explaining what I'm trying to figure out as well as copies of the other two emails...including her own.

I'll keep you posted. It seems the more I find out, the less I know.

Edit #2: It's now almost 8:00. Got an email back from Tireit, they have forwarded all the paperwork to the actual manufacture of the wheel.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Here's a verbatim copy of an email from Tireit:

"After looking into the history of this wheel. This is what I found out. We had the manufacture re-test and re-rate this wheel to the 3,475 because at the time Keystone wanted to put heavier tires on the units. So that is where your friend got that sticker. Then they wanted to go to the 7,000 lb axles and had us get the wheel tested and rerated for the 3,750#. They tested and rerated the exact same wheel and did not change the structure of this wheel. So, from the information I have received. That tells me that the wheel you have would hold the 3750 # capacity @ the 110 PSI. If you have any additional questions regarding this wheel, you can call Tredit and talk to Rick Karenke in the Sales Dept. and he can give you more details if need be. I hope I have answered the questions you needed answered. Thank you for your patience."
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Now if they would only give us something to go on the wheel to verify it!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will be in Elkhart the middle of October and will stop in at Tredit and ask for the stickers with the increased weight allowance. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when I was there, I was told the '07's were recertified for the heavier weights, BUT they would not certify the '06's for the additional weight. I just want the correct story so I know whether to buy new wheels or not.

Perhaps someone going to the Fall Rally could visit these folks and get the REAL scoop before I get there......(Hint, Hint).

Tom, I appreciate you doing all this work and I did receive your PM. Thanks!!!

Phil
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
I've been gone for a while, and just got back on the forum. Didn't mean to cause all the work you guys did, but sure appreciate it. Looks like my aluminum wheels are good for "G" rated tires.

Thanks.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote