Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
FREE video conferencing and Phone

Has anyone got any experience with SKYPE. It is a free computer video conferencing program and free phone service thru computer. We have used it several times with my sister and it's not perfected yet as video is spotty at best and audio is sometimes intermittent. I guess it depends on the signal one is getting.

Anyone care to ellaborate?????? www.skype.com

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Maybe Nancy of ToolManRoy will see this and come on and tell you of her experiences. She has been a "Skyper" for a few years now.

We have what amounts to free long distance ($15) through AT&T anywhere in the lower 48 states on our home phone so we use it for our long distance calls and we have a webcam on our computer. Having that, we've never tried Skype.

I know others though who use Skype and love it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil and Cathy,
We've been SKYpeing now for about 6 months. Use mostly to visit with the kids and grandkids. Almost like being there. We've experienced great quality and not so great! Depends on the connection and condition of the net at the time of usage.

But it is free and is much improved from the early days of video conferencing. Google also offers a similar service. I've loaded it but have no one to practice with. Some folks think it is even more user friendly than the SKYpe process. One of these days I'll check it out for myself.

Go for it Phil.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Skype is very good for cross platforms, MAC and PC. My brother has a MAC, and at the time I only had a PC, so we SKYPED, and it worked very well if you have broadband. Even DSL speeds were not of the best, but cable was very good.

I have since, at my wife's insistence, bought a MAC. Now my son with family has a MAC, along with my brother and we do 3 way video. Worked well, but still not SKYPE.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Phil: I started playing with Skype 4-5 years ago before E-Bay bought them. Originally it was computer to computer voice only. Then they offered computer to land line for a nominal charge (something in the range of 2 cents/min). Since voice communication doesn't utilize much bandwidth this always worked reasonably well if you had something faster than a dial-up. Just after being acquired by E-Bay, they offered free long distance calling to any land line in the US and Canada. I used this extensively while traveling for work and play (a headset with a microphone is essential) in order to save cell phone charges. Most people could not tell I was using Skype v. a regular phone. This was before Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) became the rage. Now there are lots of phone services using VOIP as the transport mechanism.

I got sucked into using the video piece of Skype this winter in Quartzsite (these Montana owners love their technology toys). I haven't used it a lot but my experience, using an Air Card connection on my end, was the picture was slow and jumpy. I tried it again recently here at home with a high speed (16 MB) cable connection and the picture wasn't much better. But I have to admit I was talking to Hamrad and his DSL connection was a little flaky (died three times).

Some of my friends travel abroad frequently and use Skype to communicate (voice not video) back home. The Skype charges are much cheaper than international calls (and you don't have to buy/rent a different phone).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote