Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
couch replacement

We spent the last weekend looking at daybeds with the idea of replacing the hideabed with a daybed.

Found that most day beds are really to deep to be confortable to use as a couch.

In as much as Mom sleeps alone in that big hideabed we thought a smaller setup would be less work than having to put up the hideabed every night.

I had just about abandoned the idea when my ex was over for dinner and heard us talking about it and said she had a great daybed/couch that was her aunts.

Long story short we are going to pull the hideabed out tonight and install the new/old daybed/couch and try it out on our 4 day weekend this weekend.

It will certainly give us a lot more room in the living room when mom goes to bed and we want to stay up and watch TV.

Has anyone else tried something like this?

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I have a futon, sorta close??

when in the bed position, it only takes up about 2/3rd of the room that the old couchfromhades took up when in the bed position.

Good luck, let us hear how it works out.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Got a call from the ex this morning and seems as though her mom heard about this and said got the daybed back it is a family heirloom.

So I went home and removed it from the Month and put the hidabed back in.

I have thought of a futon but they don't seem comfortable to sleep on or sit on so will continue looking for an old single bed daybed or maybe even try to make one.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Re: Futon

They make different quality mattresses. Not sure if you knew that, so, thought I would throw it out there.

Go to a really BIG futon store, they will have a variety, cheap, expensive, some even have springs in them! Let me tell you, my son's have springs, and that thing sleeps, ohhh, heaven!!!

Keep us posted on how this works out for you.

Too bad about the heirloom.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have investigated changing out the "air bed." The seating is just to narrow for a lay down sleep or nap. DW likes to sleep on it from time-to-time, especially when I snore to much. (Ever notice that happens after a big meal in the evening?) Also, with the big arms, you loose foot space when laying down.

Camping world caries Flex-Steel and the length is an inch or two more than the air bed, but with narrow arms. This give you more foot room. The depth of the seat on the air bed is 21 inches and the Flex-Steel is 25 inches or so. Much more room for sleeping if you don't want to open it up.

Just a thought.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well we are going to investigate the futon mattresses and see what we can see.

There is also a thing called a "click" bed, kind of like a futon so we will explore that and let you all know what we discover.

I had gone online and found a daybed trundle combo that used a narrower mattress but when I went back the next day to do further research I couldn't find it again. Oh well should have bookmarked it.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have removed the RV funiture the Couch air bed or just the plan couch and the Ultra leather chairs. We just replaced ours with a Lazy Boy Recline-away Love seat and a Recline-away Lazy Boy recliner. So much better and fits the 5er perfectly. We have owned 4 5th wheels and none of the Couches or Chair were comfortable. If we have family visit we put them in a nearby Hotel. But we do have full size air bed for emergency. The problem we found in buying replacements was the size most were to wide and the slide wouldn't close. With the Lazy Boy all slides close without having to take anything apart. The Lazy Boy Love seat doesn't have to be move at all and the Lazy Boy recliner just has to be turned sideways. It works so much better for us. GBY....

P.S. We will never buy another 5th wheel with the Couch and
Chairs it just a waste of money.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Found a cot size daybed on the internet at World of Futons. It is on order and should arrive next week. Bed size is 30 x 75. We ordered the two roll out drawers for under the bed and the roll our trundle (non pop up) and one mattress.

We will try out the mattress next month on our trip to Trinidad, CA and see how comfortable it is for Mom. If its good we will order one for the trundle or if not we will a custom one made at out local mattress manufacturer.

The model of the bed is a "mission" and total cost with shipping from the store in Athens, GA to Northern California was under $600. Seemed like a reasonalble amount. Bed is made of poplar and comes unfinished.

More after it arrives and we try it.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
How bout a URL for that product, sounds interesting, always interested in looking! Thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I find the easiest way to get to it is to go to ebay.com and search for "mission daybed".