Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Motorcycle Lift for Montana

I have just purchased a new UltraGlide Classic, and would like to be able to take it along when Cathy and I are camping.* Is there any DOT approved and KEYSTONE approved lift mechanism that can be mounted to the rear frame of the MONTANA 3400RL?Thanks,John B.

John Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some states allow triple towing. Some are looking into towable bike trailers, have seen URL's posted here, but, don't know the URL's to help ya, someone will happen along that knows.

Far as I know, there are NO Keystone approved lifts, they don't want more than a couple of hundred pounds back there.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
John
I don't think you will be able to carry you HD on the back of your trailer, to much wieght. I do carry a single dual sport bike on the rear of mine, Tried to take two dirt bikes, about 400 lbs, the Money didn't take well to it. Too long of an over hang to the rear which cause it to lighten the front of the trailer too much.
That being said I do take my Buell with me on a small trailer, DOT approved in many states.
You can also get a tote that mount at two points tothe rear and carries most of the weight, they look good, problem I see is that they do cause you to have a combined trailer with a long tail swing when turning. Not considered a second trailer for DOT purposes.
Also Keystone wants less than 200 lbs mounted to the rear. Other brands do offer lifts, not sure how well the work when towing.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Thanks, Carol.* The rear undercarriage of the 3400RL is enclosed with the Arctic package for insulation, leaving me unsure as to any anchor points on the frame.Maybe, I can investigate a front lift for my TV.* Presently, it's a 1999 F350 dually, so it may be able to do the job.* Only if there is a DOT lift package, though.* I don't want to take any chances bringing the motorcycle along.* Unfortunately, Cathy won't drive the TV with the trailer behind it.* Nor will she drive the Harley (both her choice and mine...).Thanks for your reply.* I've been away from the forum for the last 4 months, and it's good to be back.John
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Mark,

Thanks for your info. I just posted back to Carol about inquiring about a front lift for my TV. I'll see what happens. Maybe, I need to get a second scooter for camping purposes. I'd trade the Monty for a Fusion, but the Monty is Cathy's. She also owns guns, so I won't chance it.

John
Old 05-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, welcome back!! Glad you found your way back here.

CATHY CATHY CATHY

YOU CAN DRIVE THAT TV AND MONTANA!!

yes, you can!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Cathy,

I'd ride the UltraGlide! (As long as it wasn't raining...I've been there, done that, had the T-shirt and gave it away!)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I looked at one of those swivel wheel trailers to carry a bike or ATV on, didn't do it, how ever it might be your solution.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Hey, Ole Dude. You're up early.

I'm heading to Camping World this A.M. I'll ask there about that doohicky for pulling behind the Monty.

I'm finding out that Camping World is like an adult's Toys'R'Us. But, more expensive. Still, it's a better store than WalMart for my present needs.

Maybe they should put Camping World next to WalMart.

John
Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
www.swivelwheel.com, take a look here John.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Thanks, Ole Dude. I looked at the website for swivelwheel. It looks like a good option.

John
Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
John this is another opition.
http://www.idahotote.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We to have the same issue. We have a 2955 Monty and an Ultra Classic that we would love to take also. We did some research after Mike gave us the swivel wheel trailer site. I looked at them and really think it would work but would really like to see one before buying it. Since we go to Florida every March there is a factory there in Palm Springs we thought we would visit. Until then we are hopeful to run into one on a 5th wheel while camping. They run any where from about $2200 (single swivel wheel) to $3000 (dual swivel wheel). My hesitation is DOT, would that be still considered triple towing? On one of the sites we investigated it was addressed and they answered by: we have been in business for 3 years and no one has ever reported in those 3 years of ever having any DOT trouble. Well..... I do not want to be that person who would have trouble (my luck) or be worried to death going through states if I was legal. Not worth that to me. I am interested in what you decide and come up with. Please keep me posted....
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
It used to be true, NOT SURE IF IT STILL IS

but, if you were legal towing in your state, you would be legal towing through others, even if their law was different. Your states laws took priority.

IS THAT STILL TRUE?? Must be a web page somewhere with that on it???
Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Our state does not allow triple towing, therefore we would have to check with Motor Vehicle if they would consider it triple towing and if it needed a title or tag. The problem in Delaware, when you go to Motor V nobody ever knows anything! So..... where do we go. We have a friend who is a retired Police officer who states it would be illegal in our state. One person says one thing, another says another???
Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
John,

I have a Honda Goldwing which is similier in weight to your bike. We bought the swivel wheel axles and built our own trailer (2 swivel wheels). Didn't work for us, felt like the tail was wagging the dog . Only conclusion we could make was the weight distrubution. Maybe the commercial built ones have a better balance, but we did (in my opinion) a quality job building ours.

I shifted gears and moved on to an HDT (semi truck) with a Rampage motorcycle lift/ramp mounted behind the cab and have been very happy with it. The bike is more protected from road debri than an open trailer would be and loads/unloads easily.

The truck gets 9.5 mpg towing (same as my old Duramax)and doesn't seem to know the Montana is back there. My truck had already been converted for RV use/towing so all I have added is the motorcyle lift and some e-track for tie downs.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I just picked up a swivel wheel 58 off ebay and I'm in the process of installing it even as we speak! There is also another swivel wheel on ebay that closes in 3 days...I got mine for $631.00 which is ALOT less than the factory wants. The one on ebay is also pictured with a Montana! I'll let you know how it goes...I plan on putting an 1100 Virago on it. They way quite a bit less than the HDs.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Gee... we searched on ebay and no luck... as I write I am going on and trying to find the ebay other one. Let us know how you like it. We talked to a Montana rep that was at the ralley over the weekend and he said they work. Will wait to hear from you.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #19
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Its still there. Just do a search for "swivel wheel trailer" It is also item number 290233902388. Good luck.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Found it but it is in Florida. Just our luck. It is a 14-16 hr drive for us, and with gas prices.... could buy a new one. I will keep looking. Have been putting in swivel wheel trailer, it came up under swivel wheel motorcyle carrier. Eventually one may come up closer to home. Let me know how you like yours. Does yours have one wheel or two?