Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Where has all the Calgon gone?

We found some Calgon at a market in Savannah but because of cerebral flatulence I can not find it again. None of the Wally Worlds in this area stock it and even down here in Kings Bay the situation is the same. We will keep searching but it doesn't look good. We did get 4 bottles of the liquid but they are almost gone. We are heading north and should be out the western end of Florida by weeks end. Help! Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It seems that a lot of the more popular stores don't carry Calgon. We've had the same problem. Did find some a Food-4-Less and Sav-Mor stores.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have never checked, but you might try the Dollar General or Dollar Stores.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I had to go with gernic when I could not find the Calgon, it seems to work ok
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
ghomer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3690
I haven't been able to find Calgon for a while now, so we have switched to Borax.
ghomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Keep looking, it's out there. Are you looking with the laundry soaps, that's where some keep it?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We use Borax and love it. Just be sure that you are adding water to it while you are putting it into the tank. I was trying to be prepared for adding it to the tanks as soon as hubby had dumped. I had already put my measured amount in the sinks and toilet. It balled up in the sink and wouldn't go down. Had to add a little more water than desired to get it to disolve.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have never found it in any other place but with the laundry soap so that is where I always look first. I have had the powdered Calgon several times and I think it goes farther than the liquid. It takes a fair amount of water to dissolve the powdered Calgon. I have looked at Borax several times and was wondering if that would work too. Most of the places that don't carry Calgon do carry Borax. I still have two bottles of the Calgon liquid to get us back to Wisconsin and I know they have the powder up there because the water up there has large rocks in it.. thanks for the help.. Dave and Betsy
Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After looking at all the expected places, I found a supply at K-Mart. Funny thing, but when I asked clerks in stores, they sure it is over in laundry, but when they try to find it, they are surprised that it is not there.

I will not be buying any more. I am satisfied that if you wash the black tank sufficiently each time you dump, it is not needed. I only used once in the new unit, but now after almost a year of not using it, but using my tank wash protocol, my tank level sensors are still working.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

We also use in the gray and galley tanks, where we do not have black flush thingys.

We used softened water in Texas this year, and my little gauges worked the last time we checked. We were astonished. But, we also do use some Calgon when we are running in ALL THREE TANKS!

I also had some trouble with hard water (last summer) leaving a nasty ring in the toilet, crystalized minerals. ICK. I put some Calgon in the toilet (filled past the ring of minerals) and let set over night, and those crystals and the ring/stain disappeared. Soaked that hard mess right off. I had tried cleaning that stain off with everything I could think of, and NOTHING worked! But, the Calgon did!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Just remember that Calgon is also used in the bath as a softner and may be stocked there. Remember, "Calgon, take me away."?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
sorry, that is Calgon bath oil beads, and DAMN are they expensive..
Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Calgon for the bath MIGHT work, but they are TWO different products,

here is the Calgon for laundry, web site, you can order from them, or used to be able to, I do not know the price.

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

I believe Calgon for your bath might have oils?? in it??

But, they ARE TWO DIFFERENT PRODUCTS.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

We buy the Calgon that is sold on the aisle with the bath products.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Anyone try and find it on the internet?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Most HEB stores in Texas carry it. When in the RGV next winter ya'll can stock up.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Calgon is hard to find.....We've only been able to find Calgon at Walmart in the laundry soap area. But not all Walmarts we've checked in had it. Yesterday we bought 3 bottles in Sequim, WA. We try to stock up when we find it.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok, this is NOT to the Calgon page, I posted that in a previous post on this thread. THis is to the On The Go water softener. No, I am not suggesting you buy one, although we LOVE ours and it is sooooooooooooooo worth it.

BUT, if you go to this URL:

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/doyou.htm

You will see a USA map, shows the areas of hardness in water. I wonder, if you are in an area that is considered "hard water" if it is easier to find the Calgon?? In an area that is considered "softer water", it might be more difficult to find the Calgon??

Not sure that is a logical conclusion, I am still working on the first cup of java for the day.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673

Here is another place to Buy Calgon Water Softener
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #20
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
I purchased the Calgon bath product for spas at Wal-Mart, I was concerned the other Calgon bath products would produce bubbles. The Calgon for spas said low sudsing and I figured if it was OK for spas it would be be Ok for our holding tanks. I have also had problems finding the Calgon for laundry. I have only found it at Albertsons in CA and yes we have very hard water in southern CA.

Carol,
I wouldn't be without a water softener at home so this portable water softener looks really interesting. Where do you put it when it is hooked up to your Montana? We have been able to fit our water filter in our convenience center using quick release and 90 degree elbows. Would the water softener fit there and do you filter your water for drinking? It seems a bit pricey but sounds like you think it is worth it.

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote