Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
carter caves, ky

Does anyone have info on campgrounds in or around Carter Caves State Park in KY? Thanks

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We stayed in the Carter Caves SP some years ago when we had a 30ft TT. The sites were all back in with only a shared 20/30 outlet between two sites. (whoever got there first got the 30). It is a nice spot, but may be a bit tight for a 3400. It was some time ago, and things may have changed since we were there. Grayson Lake SP is not too far away, it has a few larger sites, and Yatesville Lake SP, which is newer, has a number of large sites. I don't remember there being any private campgrounds in that part of KY. The Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington has lots of good sites, but it is quite a way from Carter Caves, and they don't do reservations there.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You may want to consider Milton, WV, Foxfire is now a KOA and has 50 amp sites that we have stayed at many times in our 3400. Drawbacks are it is adjacent to I-64 (highway noise) but it is about an hour from Carter Caves (if that is not too much to handle. If you have a Woodall's or TL guide, it may be worth consulting. Woodall's online (woodalls.com - free sign-up) lets you do searches for specific areas, I did a quick one for Grayson, which is near Carter Caves and got two hits for big rig sites (Poppy Mountain Rv Park and Valley Breeze RV Campground).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Grayson Lake State Park is a very nice park and if you like to play golf they have a very nice 18 hole course there. Also there are alot of private camp grounds around Cave Run lake, which is about 45 minutes to an hour away from Carter caves. The Ky horse park does take reservations as do all Ky state parks.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
We live in Berea, KY, about 100 miles from Carter Caves State Park. Great place to go. We have been several times, but not since last year when we had a 30' Jayco 5ver. We plan to visit with the Monty later this year & expect no problems with site sizes. Most of the KY state parks only have 30 amp service. We visit Ft Boonesboro state park South of Lexington all the time. Never have any issue with 30 amp service. We have used microwave, hair dryers & coffee pots all at same time here. I can't remember for sure, but try either www.parks.ky.gov or www.kentuckystateparks.com. After you get into one of these, you can pick the park you want to visit. There is a map of the campground. Click on this to open. It will show you each site at the campground with details (Length of site). We use this all the time for the state parks to make sure we get a site large enough to accomodate the Monty & the truck. By the way, all the parks do take reservations also. Just pick the dates you want to visit, it will show you the available sites for the dates you input. I think this is done through reserveamerica.com.

Hopefully, this helps. Thanks for visiting the Bluegrass state.

Walter & Suzanne
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We went to Carter Caves just this last weekend. Seen another Montana there but didn't have an opportunity to talk with anyone. They came in on Sunday and we left on Monday. They had a tag on their TV which stated they were a retired Coast Guard. They were from VA. Could this have possibly been the original poster?

On another note I often visit Carter Caves. It is a very beautiful park but as OntMont stated, the parking spots are somewhat small. I parked in a site that was tricky to get into. It is nearly impossible to get into some of their sites without backing over the edging which is made from treated wood. It has been laid out to mark off the area to park in and contains gravel for parking on. The down side to this is when it rains it will sometimes create a puddle of water which will stand inside your parking area. I don't like the way this has been laid out but it is still a wonderful park. Only about 5 miles off of I-64 at Olive Hill exit 161.

If anyone plans on visiting there send me a pm and let me know. We have been there three times this year already. Need I say more about how we like it!

On edit I would like to mention there are plenty of sites that you can get into. When making reservations just watch for the length of the site. Some of them will have enough room for you vehicle also. There are only a very few pull throughs and they are not my pick of sites.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sectres

The Ky horse park does take reservations as do all Ky state parks.
Last time we were there, three years ago I think, they would only accept reservations from groups of 20 or more, attending functions at the Horse Park. Individuals could not make reservations. Have things changed?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Yes, they have changed since the state started taking reservations at all the state parks. We have reservations at the Horse park starting on August 4th.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote