Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2006, 01:59 AM   #21
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Do you suppose they mean 0 degrees Celsius (=32 deg F)?

I have always felt that the "Arctic Package" and its supposed R rating would probably be valid if the battom was sealed, but as it is, there are enough gaps that any kind of wind will defeat the effect of the insulation. If I were seriouly into cold weather camping, my first line of attack would be to seal up all the gaps in the underbelly cover, and frame members.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 AM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I guess as long as Montanas offer double pane windows and an Arctic Package , they are at least trying to sell a four season RV. We lived in ours at 28 F for a few days and we were very comfortable. My 06 has the spray foam coming out around pipes in the underbelly. They did not trim it off and I want to do that someday. When Keystone started having the dump valves insulated, that was a real plus for camping in feezing weather because all my prior 5th wheels had the dump valves completely exposed to the weather and they were a problem.

For extended stays at 0 degrees I think any RV can get by if they are skirted in, the supply water has heat strips and insulation. The park we were at in Edmonton Alberta has year round spots and you see a lot of units that are not as well insulated as Montanas but they all have a huge propane tank out front because it takes a lot of heat. No RV is ever going to have the R values we see in today's houses. Not while we have vents and skylights. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are getting the vent "pillows" and we will also probably get A/C covers to use if ever in an extended cold weather situation. A/Cs are a source of heat loss in cold weather around here. I'm sure on a Montana, it would be no different.

Also, our biggest improvement to prepare for spending any holiday time around our 5 grandchildren, will be insulating our basement with Reflectix material (need to use the links to see what it looks like).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Those vent pillows also work very well to keep the heat out during the summer. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave. Do you suggest just buying them at Camping World? Or going somewhere else. And with two A/Cs, do I need more that one (I have one Fantastic Fan).
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I bought mine at Camping World, cost was less than $9. I have 1 vent pillow that I use in the vent above the stairs during the "heat" of the day. I would not say you "must" have one, but they do help. The 2nd a/c will take care of keeping the front half of the coach cool, so the pillow might just be a mute point now.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What are you using to cover the shower skylight? I can tell already this will be a problem. My body seems to have an untrainable body clock that will not allow me to sleep - no matter how much sleep deprivation - if ANY sunlight is around at all.

Served me well in my oilfield engineering days, when I had to go days without sleep - those doggone oil well blowouts just would not take a break so I could catch 2 hrs sleep. I knew if I could make it until "Nautical Sunrise" (just getting light on the horizon), that my body would automatically recharge itself (this actually amazed me, biologically speaking, that my body did this - even after three days w/o sleep), and I could avoid any crisis of possibly passing out, until I had to start battling the dark again that evening.

That shower skylight has always been in my sights, ever since we first looked at a 3400 on the inside...
Old 07-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
My skylight is uncovered, I just pull my privacy shade closed a bit. Seems to block enough sun light to allow me to sleep till 10am or so. =)
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's a good time to get up, Dave... I'm copying that info down for my files...

Does our 2007 3400's have these privacy curtains anymore??? I thought I read this had been deleted in the newer 3400s? No?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #30
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So Dave Sprik (one of you guys has to change their name LOL) how do you manage with the long sunlight hours in the great North? This was one thing that really bothered Ed when we were in Montana. I love it because I am a Sunshine person. I don't know how he is going to manage Alaska -(he says thats different-just because that has always been his dream).
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I do like sunlight, Sue. It really gives me energy. I go to bed about 1 AM to 2 AM, get up around 7 AM. Sun wakes me up even with double shades.

You are right about us up on the 45th Parallel. The sun actually sets right now in the NW sky. At sunset, there is more light in the due north sky than the due west horizon - almost like the sun is setting straight north of us. It then rises in the NE after only about 4 1/2 hours of total darkness. I think that is really awesome! Cheryl is NOT a science person. Her comment is, "Just watch the road, will ya!?!"

My sister-in-law from Cincinnati was up a few years ago to our house in June. Several of us were standing outside in the front yard talking. She was standing back looking at the sky. She wasn't saying a word. I thought something was wrong. I asked if there was a problem. She said, "I cannot believe it is still light out." She was REALLY freaked out by this. It was 10:00 at night. This aparently made her very nervous. She's not a science person either...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Sounds like you are on my schedule! Bed around 2am and for me up around 10/11 ish... Folks think I am crazy, but I say who needs to get up early? On the topic of the privacy curtain, mine is between my wardrobe and shower which allows me to pull it out to keep that early sun out of my eyes. You can use double sided velcro and a solar shade cut to fit to put up in your skylight. Cost would be less than $15 to make something like that and the left over solar shade could be used in your bedroom windows. This is the silver bubble wrap stuff that you find in Camping World for $15 a roll, another plus is it will reflect the sun and heat out of your bedroom.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I assume the bubble wrap is water proof? Thinking of the shower.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #34
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, the shower head is SUPPOSED to point DOWN at your body, NOT UP at the skylight! Sorry, could not resist. ON serious side, have read here before, where people have some type of covering in that skylight area, leave it on all the time, no reports that it is soggy or rains into the shower stall. (Ok, could not resist a bit more)

If this is not funny, please keep in mind, that ole Carol still is on that first cup of java, it seems funny from my keyboard!

Carol

ON EDIT: The bubble wrap is frequently installed between the 2 layers of the skylight, I know Bill and Ann has done his, and I think that is how he did it, do a search Dave!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 AM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
[quote]quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Dave, the shower head is SUPPOSED to point DOWN at your body, NOT UP at the skylight!

Sorry, could not resist. ON serious side, have read here before, where people have some type of covering in that skylight area, leave it on all the time, no reports that it is soggy or rains into the shower stall. (Ok, could not resist a bit more)

If this is not funny, please keep in mind, that ole Carol still is on that first cup of java, it seems funny from my keyboard!

[b][i]
Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #36
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Carol,
Thank you for my morning chuckle! I enjoy your sense of humor...

Dave,
While you can install between the layers of the skylight, I was not thinking of doing that. I enjoy the light that comes into the bedroom area during the afternoon (when I am not sleeping). I was thinking of placing the velcro around the "white surround" on the bottom of the skylight allowing you to leave it up or take it down.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glad you all enjoyed my morning fog!

Yes, Dave S., the way I understand it that sky light is 2 layers, with air between. And some of those that use the bubble wrap do it between the layers and they report considerable comfort improvement in heat (AKA Texas sun!) And, it does not cut the light much (see below).

There is also reports of light darkening efforts, those being done in a number of methods, seems I recall one that the person cut a piece of cardboard, covered with something and then pushed into the opening, they claimed (again, if I remember correctly) that it stayed up there, and even traveled without it falling out.

I think IF we were to do something, it would be the bubble wrap, I just LOVE the light in the shower, again, from prior experiences, the prior TT had NO skylight in there, goodness, it was DARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After putting up with darkness for almost 15 years, I am not about to jump in there and cover that glorious sun and light up! Besides, my plants would complain loudly, for goodness sakes, that is their greenhouse while we are running.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree, Carol. I would want a removable darkening/insulating situation.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #39
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
How did we get on this? Wasn't this a temperature post?
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Haven't read through all the posts so maybe I'm duplicating.. I talked with a keystone exec about this. They did as noted put one in zero degree weather for a month and it did not freeze. Being in the brochure they would have to be sure. Dsprik, before, it was 28 degrees. That was from a keystone exec a couple of years ago when I asked. I do not know if it was tested to 28 but he said it was guaranteed to 28. I don't know if 2007 is guaranteed to zero but since it is in the brochure....

Rich, we'll let you know by end of the year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote