Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bullseye!

Some of you might remember some of my earlier questions about setting up a satellite dish, and several of you offered some very in depth help! Well, that all came together on our two week trip to Unicoi SP this month.

We decided that we would put the dish to work this time, so we hauled all of the equipment along, including the Bullseye RV dish mount. I connected the dish to the Bullseye—it is now DirecTV instead of the original Dish Network—ran the line to the camper and turned on the receiver. The set up menu told me to set the dish on an azimuth of 215, so I went back outside, did so, and coming back along the side of the Montana heard something that sounded like the television. I opened the door and the picture was excellent!

I figure I must give some of the credit to the Bullseye and, furthermore, I had some questions asked about it by other campers as they had not seen anything like it before. We are heading out again tomorrow for a week; hope the good fortune with the dish continues!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The Bullseye mount looks like it makes the job of getting the mounting post perfectly plumb. In my opinion that is the single most important step in finding a strong signal. I don't have the bullseye but if you are interested I looked up the web page.

http://www.rvdishmount.com/index.htm#t2
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Level is the key word. When we were in Idaho several weeks ago, we had tried for almost an hour to get a signal. I was inside and Ed was out. We decided to switch places. The first thing I noticed was the dish was really not level. I picked up one leg to level a bit and Ed yelled from inside "You got it - don't move". So here I was holding one leg of the tripod up and nothing to put under the leg. My lighter was laying on the table so I stuck that under the leg and it worked for the entire time we were there. We are going to get the Bullseye as soon as he is shipping again (he broke his leg). I've had this web site saved for a long time but we had not ever had enough use for it before.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I think that IS the beauty of the Bullseye as it is so simple to see that the dish is level with the built in level. When the bubble is dead center—in the bullseye—it is level. One day while we were at Unicoi, I noticed some break up and went out to check the dish. The bubble was out of center, so I adjusted it, and, voila!, no more break up.

Sue, order it as soon as he is up and shipping again. I think he deserves all of the money he can make for this product.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rats...Although I am aware that the "level" part is the most important part of the sat set up and I am normally very good at that.I just came across this thread and it will cost me 64.95 + 11.00 shipping..I am very lazy and this is a lazy persons dream..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I’ve had extremely good luck with one of the Camping World tripods. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26276&src=SRQB

The only hassle is that the dish mount I have on it obscures the bubble level a bit. Even if I put my glasses on, unless the light’s very good, I have to use a flashlight to make sure I start out level.

I agree with Wordsmith. The Bullseye seems to have a great mount for the level. Though I’m not sure I’d want to be driving stakes in at every campground I went to, or making sure the south side of my Monty was aimed properly to make the ladder-mount one work, without having to climb the ladder to aim the dish.

Between some of the Bullseye configurations, and an additive like http://www.alignasite.com/ I can't see why anyone wouldn't have clean reception.

I’ve seen so many various ways to get satellite TV, (some crude homemade, to costly high-tech,) that it appears everyone has their favorite.

As life should be.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Rich, If you order the Bullseye, I think that, after using it, you will agree that it was money well spent!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The important thing is you are getting a satellite signal. I knew you could do it with a little help from you MOC friends. Direct is easier than Dish, that was a good move on your part. Congratulations!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

The important thing is you are getting a satellite signal. I knew you could do it with a little help from you MOC friends. Direct is easier than Dish, that was a good move on your part. Congratulations!!!
Thanks, Charlie—you were definitely one of the people that I was mentioning above. Your detailed instructions went a long way to our success, even after our switch to DirecTV. Your kind help was—and is—much appreciated!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have DirectTV and have been using it in the camper for years.We have both a tripod from C.W and a larger tripod that is meant to mount on a house roof. Level is the biggest problem and most folks do not realize how critical that is.We are very good at it and usually with the help of my trusty Boy scout Compass and a level we can set it up point it and we have a signal first time.We carry 100 feet of RG-6 and have always been able to find a signal.I like that bulls eye setup as at times getting the tripod level can be a chore. Dome..sure would like to have one but our camping and travel style will have to change..and it is so we will see???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Here is my take on the subject. I own a Bullseye mount and an Align-A-Site(Link in Gyro's post). I bought the Bullseye mount a long time ago and have had no problems with it what so ever. I do have to admit I will never go without the Align-A-Site again. Just this past week I had 2 different people come to my campsite and ask how I was getting a signal where my dish was. They figured there was no way to get a signal that close to the woods. Thats the beauty of the align a site. You can walk around your campsite holding it until you can see a clear path. Then just drive your dish mount into the ground or set up the tripod. (which does NOT have to be level when you use the A-A-S) Attach it to the dish and within a few minutes you will be watching TV. It is by far the best non essential item I have purchased for camping.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
HUH???

An Align-A-Site is "non-essential?"

That had to be a TYPO.

Steve

Trying to make my wife agree that we need one....
Old 07-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
OK OK you got me, it is essential. Sharon said after we got ours there is allot less wirty dords flying around our campsite while setting up. (course I don't know what she means by that...lol)
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
LOL!

I'm sure Kimmrg would make just the same such comment if I finally got one, too.

Though I'd have to admit to understanding the meaning....

Steve