Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Montana_975
Established Member

M.O.C. #975
GPS-Iguidance

We have a new laptop, and have the iguidance gps software. If I am correct, all I need to run gps on the laptop is the gps antennae? Where is the best place to purchase the gps antennae? Do any of you have the iguidance, and what are your opinions of it?

Montana_975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't have the iguidance but do use GPS. The antenna came with the GPS.Have seen them at Best buy..If you google GPS antennas you will find plenty of sources.Would seem tht if iguidance sells the sogtware they may also sell the antenna.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I have used for year the DeLorme setup.
It works great.
they just came out with Streets 2006.
You can get that and a GPS in a package.
Check out Delorme web site.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cindi&david, by "gps antenna" do you maybe mean the gps unit itself? That's the piece that would lay on the dash of your vehicle and has a cord to connect to the laptop. If that's it, does the manual say it requires a particular gps unit? Or maybe it says it has to be "NMEA compliant"? If nmea compliant, then you can use any GPS unit that is nmea compliant. The packaging should give you that info. Sorry but I'm not familiar with that software.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Montana_975
Established Member

M.O.C. #975
Thanks everyone for the replies. We ended up buying the Delorme 2006 version. It came with the gps antennae, and iguidance can be used with it also. Actually, after playing with and using the delorme, we like it better than iguidance.
Montana_975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have the Delorme also and really like it. We have the 2005 version. So now we never get lost---not!!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I guess there are several on the market--we use the one supplied with streets & maps.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd

So now we never get lost---not!!!
We now use a Garmin GPS 60. I got this one because it has a lrage screen, with big numbers. If I just want the GPS, this serves me grerat. But I can also tie it into the notebook, and that works great, too.

Speaking of lost....
We have used GPS's for years - remember when they could cost $1000? Anyway, several years ago, we took a trip to Florida, and traveled around the state, starting in Orlando, up to Alachua to see the Hunter sailboat factory, etc, etc. The GPS and notebook came in real handy, except...

I didn't mark where the airport car rental place was, and when it came time to turn in the car before we left. we couldn't find the rental place, and stopping at a couple of the branch offices didn't help either!! (You got to wonder how some of these kids find their way to work each day...) We found it, eventually, but next time, that'l be the first mark on the map!!!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skyguy, that's why I like DeLorme and Streets and Trips on my laptop. I can see where I am and even the street/highway name, can search for a business, etc. Sometimes I'll throw the laptop in the back when we're just going out sightseeing. We've been known to turn off on backroads and have even been on roads that slowly degrade into not much more than a cowpath. Once I fired up the laptop and GPS to help us find the way home. It's nice to see the roads and be able to see where they go from here!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote