Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Mountain towing

I just purchased a Mountaineer 348 RLS and will pick it up in a couple of weeks.
We have camped in a pop-up years ago and loved going to Colorado to enjoy the mountains.
I will be pulling with a Dodge 3500 Cummings Diesel. Does anyone have experience in pulling in the mountains and any advice?

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
My Montana 3555RL is pretty heavy...over 11000# loaded and I have an F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. It pulls OK in the mountains but I have to watch the EGT or exhaust gas temp gauge pretty closely. I'm not supposed to run over 1250 degrees EGT and when towing in the mountains I frequently have to "get out of the the throttle" and let it cool down a little, otherwise, OK. Since you have more truick than me, I thing you are good to go.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Dan, Like Virgil stated THE TEMPS are CRITICAL! See my signature regarding truck. A good site for you to go to is nwbombers.com for info on your truck. The EGT and Tranny temps are VERY IMPORTANT! GET GAUGES before any towing.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Without a temp guage simply follow a big rig uphill and it will usually keep you at a safe speed.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also agree with getting the gauges, especially the pyrometer (EGT). On my 6.0 the critical EGT temperature, I'm told, is 1370 degrees, if the probe is prior to the turbo (mine's in the exhaust manifold). So far I've seen it climb to 1325 in the mountains but not close to 1370. I watch it like a hawk though. We're towing 14,360 lbs, 22,920 total.

Another thing in the mountains is to slow your descent before you start down the mountain grade rather than after the speed starts building.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I can't be as technical as the guys, but your one ton dually will do great in the mountains. We're pulling our loaded 37 foot Montana through the mountains on the way to Alaska with no problem at all. Glen mentioned that he is watching the RPMs more than the speed. The truck has handled 8% and 10% grades, up and down, very nicely.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for the input.
Most people and dealers said my rig could pull anything they had on their lots.
Alaska, here I come soon, I hope.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
The critical thing is not going up, you have plenty of truck for that, but coming down. You don't indicate what year truck or tranny type you have. Before I tow in the mountains, I'll definately have an exhaust brake installed as diesel engines have very little compression braking. Some of the guys here indicate the newer trucks with autos don't need an exhaust brake, but I would rather err on the safe side and have the extra capability. The newer Dodges with the 48RE tranny were not compatable with an exhaust brake, but that may have been corrected by now. The manual trannys are O.K. with the exhaust brake. The rule of thumb is to start your decent at the same speed you went up. Exhaust brakes are not cheap, but I think its the best money spent if you tow in the mountains. JMHO Happy camping.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I absolutely agree about getting the gauges and the exhaust brake, they are best things you can do. As Steve said, I watch the EGT more than any other gauge when towing. Even long straight-aways that appear flat can be a grade and you'll build your temps. Have the probe for the gauge installed in the exhaust manifold. This gives the most accurate reading as it's closest to the gasses coming out of the cylinder head. You'll see some high (1300+ deg F) temps but you'll know what's happening. The exhaust brake is another must for keeping your rig from running out under you going downhill. I've heard several experts say that you should start down the grade at 25% of the maximum speed and use your brakes sparingly and let the exhaust brake do its thing. Most automatic transmissions except the Allison require a torque convertor lock-up to make the brake effective. It will also overheat the transmission fluid with out the lock-up. All that and a helping of common sense will get you through the mountains with the shiney side up! Enjoy the adventure.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Seems all of these remarks are for you diesel folks. Any suggestions for us gasers? I have a 2500HD Chevy with an 8.1 liter gaser combined with the Alison Tranny. Any suggestions for the mountains?
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #11
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I'm also interested in the gasser's,we'll be going to Montana,Wyoming
South Dakota and Colorado next month, with the 2003 3280RL and theFord F-250 crewcab,with the GearVender over/under transmission and Gale Banks Power Pak. This will be our first long trip in any rv,usually we do just short ones.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
dannyl,

Reference going down hill. I posted this earlier and was able to find it. It is talking about the exhaust brake.
I put one on my truck and it works great. One of the best comments I saw was the statement on a test of the new Peterbuilt 335 and it's exhaust brake. The statement goes along with the rule you should never go down a hill any faster than you can go up it when towing. With that being said the comment was they had to down shift to get the brake to work on some stepper hills and the brake will work in the same gear you pulled the hill.
I found that true for my set up which totals at 23K lbs. Out in western Maryland the five mile 6 and 7 % grades I had to drop down to 4th gear max speed in 4th is 50 mph and it held fine. That was also the gear I pulled the hill.
I used the exhaust brake on one hill, topped the hill at 50 mph and the speed was dropped to 40 mph by the road sign. I down shifted to 4th with the exhaust brake on and within one mile on an 8% down hill grade I was at 40 mph with out touching the vehicle brakes. They were cool and ready to react if needed.
If I am towing in any hills I will not be without it.
Now I can not speak about the new tow command on the 05 Ford trucks.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As for the gassers, we towed this Montana through Colorado on I70 to above 11,000 feet and some very long grades with a gas V10 Ford. It did just fine. With the computerized controls of the modern engines you should be fine.

John, I need to give you a ride when we're towing in mountains sometime. The grade braking of the tow/haul feature PLUS the compression caused by the vanes of the turbo closing down are something you have to experience to believe. Been there. It's great. I've also towed those 8 percenters in western Maryland you mentioned. Same story. I'd never argue that an exhaust brake doesn't add even more braking but I still don't see a need for it for us. My opinion, of course, but I sometimes going downhill will lightly touch the brake to cause the brake lights to come on briefly just so the folks behind us won't think we have no brake lights. If you don't believe that, email Vicki and ask her. It makes me nervous when I'm behind someone in a situation I know they have to be braking and I see no brake lights. So I trigger the lights occasionally.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #14
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We have pulled many different campers through the mountains over the years. The best advice is common sense and practice. Going up the mountain is usually not the problem. Coming down can get scarey. Always begin descent in a cautious manner. Shift down and let your truck help brake itself. Don't ride your brakes. Use them for relatively short periods of time. You have plenty of truck plus trailer brakes to hold you back. Take the first few climbs and descents slow until you get the feel of everything. It is way better to come down too slow many times than to come down tto fast one time.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Steve and all,
I am sure we are all saying the same thing. Since I do not have the command tow I do have to use the exhaust brake. I think my point, not well stated, is to plan on going down hill the same speed you pull it and definitely down shift to the same gear you used to pull the hill. Whether in an automatic or manual.
I did drive a friend's Ford with the tow command but no load. I did see where the transmission down shifted as you tap the brakes. I did not tell Big Red about driving the Ford.
Last comment, I also tap the brakes to let approaching vehicles know I am going slower than they are since the exhaust brake does not require my brake peddle action. I do this also when slowing down with the exhaust brake again to alert the driver behind of my change in actions.
Brake peddle to activate lights.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #16
Montana_2744

M.O.C. #2744
mountaindriving. i just retired and have drove for a living had my first driving job in 1961 so maybe i can help. just before or as yu crest a hill kind of ease off of the throttle, this will let things start to cool down before you start down and helps prevent shocking the system. do not go down the hill as fast as you can come up it. rember to give yourself a litttle reaction time or room. i have a duramax and the allison and like them both and the allison with the gas engine should work even better. take care. mcgillagorilla
Montana_2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #17
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Thank you all for your answers,it helps to hear from experience.

Bill
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Also, want to say THANKS! Took our rig to the Black HIlls this last June and we're now considering the Mts. of Colorado. Boy, retirement is FUN!!!!! Makes working 40 years worth it.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #19
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for everyones input.
I know the Dodge 3500 is as big as you can buy without going to a puller so I'm sure it will do fine.
Going downhill can be a real thrill. It really pays to stay ahead of your self and look for problems before they can become one.
Colorado here I come. Alaska, your next.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just did the Wva tpk I-77 in our Ford F350 V-10 with Tow Haul. Lots of 7% grades and a 9% or two thrown in. Let the tow Haul mode do its thing going down hill and rarely had to hit the brakes.Now I may be wrong on this but I did NOT use cruise control in tow haul.They seemed to fight each other in gear selection, At one time the engine reved to 4000 rpms in gearing down..took it out of cruise and never tried that again. Maintained 45 to 50 MPH on the downgrades. It was blazing hot and no over heating engine or tranny.Was traveling with a 99 Dodge diesel with the jake brake and we both seemed to do the same on the down grades.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote