Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Shelves in 3400RL

First sorry about the long post!!!
We are trying to get the best utilization out of the space in the new Montana 3400 RL.
First of all under the sink, remove the lazy susan,
The first door from the enterance to the kitchen, we put the waste basket, first got one that pulls out from Home Depot, too long.
So therefore I put 1" boards on the bottom to build it up then a petition between the first and second door, seperating out the waste basket area, now it is accessible from the kitchen and dining room side.
Also it does not interfere with the waste trap for the sinks.
The next door area I put up a petition between the doors and a petition crosswise and put shelves on both sides. The one in the kitchen I put with about 12" shelf from the bottom for my wife's cleaning tall stuff and a smaller shelf for her sponges and other small item.
On the dining room side I put the shelf at about 9" so the blender base and top fit on the bottom and the coffee pot on the top shelf.
In the third door from the dining side I put a it a shelf about 14" deep and 12" high, giving a space to put tall soda bottles under.
Then the space under the refrigerature, there is a panel with 4 screws in it and there is dead space.
I made two size plates with a runner and attached it to the sides and made a 24" by 18" platform with a 6 1/2" back.
Put hinges on the panel and a handle with a clip to hold the door closed, great spot for cooking sheets.
In the closet where the washer ahd dryer are suppost to be, I picked up at Home Depot the Closet Maid brackets and two of the shelves with sliding baskets. Works great for storage. the only thing I am going to do to it is drill some small holes in the brackets so I can put a few wire ties to hold everyting together when traveling.
Going to tackle the basement next

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Sven, those sound like great ideas. In the washer/dryer closet, we have three white plastic tubs, two small on one shelf and one large one on the lower shelf. We put the lids under them for a hint of support and hold them in place with springy curtain rods while traveling. This really increased the usefulness of these two shelves. We also have a rolling, three tiered "potato bin" (plastic) that sits right inside the door in front of the wall that separates this area from the basement....the part that has to come out if you add a W/D. It's a great place to throw keys and, most importantly, hold doggie treats. Glen's better half, Judy
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Carlson.....Very good ideas. My wife saw this post so I know what I'll be doing to. Thanks for the ideas.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Gene,
More on the closet where the wash and dryer can go.
I got two (hose)caps for the water shut-off for the washer.
We looked the two shelves with baskets and said how is the food going to stay on the shelves when we are traveling.
So plan 2 change 3.
So back to Home Depot, we picked up another box of the basket/shelves this one has three large baskets and one small one.
Note: these are the ones that the back bracket has to be 20 1/2" on center, also the shelve/baskets come 1 sm and 1 lrg, or 1 sm and 3 lrg.
We now have two small backets and 4 large one's. They are installed with one space between each bracket.
All the food will go in the baskets.
How do you keep the baskets from sliding open when traveling?
My wife had the idea, use a small caribiner and clip the basket to the shelve for when you are traveling.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Sven these are really great changes, especially the use of the space beneath the refrigerator. We have been wondering how to make better use of the closet where teh W/D go, but we do not want to do to much. We are still undecided about adding a washer/dryer combo. Thanks for the post and great information.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
O.V., While you decide if or how to modify the closet you can use lightweight containers (plastic tubs or baskets) on the shelves that are there, at least they're present in our model. We hold them in place during travel with the spring curtain rods. It doesn't require any hardware changes but expands the storage amount greatly.

By the way, I put the flat plastic lids under the containers to stabilize the tubs. They extend the shelves indirectly, front to back. Judy
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote