Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
sleep number beds

We do not have a sleep number bed and am happy we don't have one after I ran accross this on Internet...

Class Actions
The Sleep Number Difference Is Mold
By Carey Alexander, 9:45 AM on Sat May 17 2008, 35,610 views A recent class action claims that Select Comfort Sleep Number beds are nothing more than overactive allergen mills. According to the suit, the bed's faulty air chambers allow moisture to form under the mattress foam, providing a perfect breeding ground for mold spores.

Select Comfort claims to have addressed the rampant mold problem, a claim that provides little solace to allergy sufferers whose beds are already infested with mold:

Margaret of Stanville KY (04/05/08)
Just found black mold growing under the foam top and on top of both of the air chambers. Purchased in October 2002 and notified Select Comfort today by email. I have allergies to mold and have been to Dr.'s concerning this. My husband has been coughing every night when he lays down in the bed. Just read the comments from others and hope we can reconcile this issue. The foam borders are flimsy as well as the bottom material of the top mattress cover. It has shredded and has holes in it.

Terry of New Lenox IL (05/04/07)
After less than 3 years of sleeping on our select comfort bed, we noticed a very bad odor coming from it. We proceeded to take it apart, piece by piece. The sheets were fine, the mattress pad was fine. But when we got down to the zippered comforter, it smelled terrible. Under the comforter, there is a foam pad, which was full of mold and bacteria. It smelled horrible. We are now sleeping on the floor, because we had to discard most of the bed.

Mold and bacteria cannot be removed from the foam pad, and the zippered comforter would fall apart if it was washed. We got burned badly on this one!

Lana of Brooklyn MI (9/3/03)
The Select Comfort system allows mold and/or mildew to form on the convoluted foam topper and on the air mattresses. Select Comfort's solution 'use a light bleach solution to clean the mattress.' It's impossible to clean the foam. Their product is unhealthy for people like me who have allergies to mold/mildew.

According to the class action:

Purchasers of the beds are being told by Select Comfort to return the beds, often at a significant cost to the purchaser. The Class Action seeks not only to have Select Comfort provide notice to purchasers of its Sleep NumberŪ bed of the potential for mold infestation, but also to have the class members compensated for their losses, including the costs of shipping they have incurred or will incur to return their beds to Select Comfort.

Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed Class Action Litigation
Select Comfort - Mold [Consumer Affairs]

Read More: Class Actions, Sleep Number Beds, Lawsuits, Beds, Sleep, Mold, Infestations, Health, Disgusting.

More on this by searching "sleep number beds, mold"

Also here is another of many links.

http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/2...nse_combine_i/

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Interesting article. My wife and I and our daughter all use sleep number beds and have no issue with them. What I found most interesting was the part that said some of the replacement parts also developed mold. That leads me to believe it may also be related to the location, which may be humid and promote mold. We use air conditioning during the summer and even though we have a humidifier for the winter, we keep the humidity levels very low. Perhaps that's why we haven't had any issues?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm with Tom on this! We've had a Select Comfort here at the stick for about 5-6 years now and have had no problems with mold or mildew. We did have an air chamber go bad and had to replace that but aside from that we sleep like a log on the unit and have no smell or mold what so ever.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Anytime there is moisture and/or humidity over time you will have mold. The environment has to be controlled, this can happen in walls, carpets, ceilings or anywhere there is moisture and the correct growing temperature. I can see this driving up the cost of a matteress. Sounds like someone wants something for not caring for their bedding.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the bear bed whih is the same thing....No prblems.. Mold can pop up anywhere under the right conditions. Those beds rquire the same maint and inspection as anything else. A good heads up to chek things out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Interesting topic, because we have a Sleep comfort which was a option on our 5er. I didn't know about the Class Action suit, but in todays world there are people trying to get Class Action suits everyday.

I believe its a moisture problem caused by the owner not properly maintaining the RV properly as for closing it up in the winter while in storage. We were in the South one winter and put our 5er in the Storage area for two weeks in Dec. When we opened it up it look as if it had rained inside the 5th wheel. Had to run the Dehumidifer for several days to dry things up. We will be running Dehumidifer's for sure we have never stored out RV's before They have been hooked-up to 50 amps until the one time. And the more insulation you have the more moisture problem you will have. If you store a RV you will have moisture unless you run a dehumidifer. Think about the Air compressor at home when you drain the air tanks water will come out. I have never sleep on any mattress that sleeps like ther Sleep Comfort. RV type mattress's are terrible and very poorly made. I'm sure Sleep comfort will handle the situation and I sure hope they do. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We have had a sleep number bed in our stick house for several years. When we took it apart to move to our present home, after owning it for a few years, we noticed mold. One call to the company, and they sent us out replacement foam, no charge. One of the chambers didn't seem right on another mattress, and again, the Select Comfort company sent out a replacement. We love our sleep numbers and have been impressed with the fine customer service. Both times, they have been quick to remedy the situation. Just wanted to share our experience. Thanks.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think most if not all of these are from people in stick houses! I'm assuming so anyway! We've never had a problem but it is a good thing to check the mattress every so often anyway to see if everything looks OK under that cover anyway! Thanks for the heads up anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
We have one in our house and I am not completely pleased. must be doing something wrong. The form sides don't stay on box frame and chambers seam to have a ridge in it if I am sleeping on my side. Not sure I want another one. I feel like I sleeep better in Monty when on vacation. JME&O
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Wow...we too have a sleep number bed in our home. We have been sleeping on it for 6 years now. Have not noticed any mold problem in the bed. At this time we do not notice any odors or anything. Of course we haven't had the bed apart for a long time....last time was maybe a year ago. Guess we better take it apart and take a peek.

Gosh, I hope there is nothing hiding under there. I do not know what we would do....We love
our sleep number bed, not sure if we would know how to sleep on anything different.

....We are located in California, so we do not have a moisture problem here.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

We have one in our house and I am not completely pleased. must be doing something wrong. The form sides don't stay on box frame and chambers seam to have a ridge in it if I am sleeping on my side. Not sure I want another one. I feel like I sleeep better in Monty when on vacation. JME&O
The mattress is very light and it is easy to bump it off the frame. Maybe some velcro strips might help? As for the center, if there is a large difference in air pressure between sides, ours is more noticeable. My wife could probably live with out it because she almost never changes the pressure on her side, but I change mine all the time, depending on my back.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have had our sleep number bed for 3 years and no problems what so ever...Our daughter also has one and no problems with hers either... hmmmmmm
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote