Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Skunks in the campground

One night I was sitting around the camp fire after the wife went in. I started watching a skunk as he came closer and closer. He came right over to me and walked underneath my legs between the chair and my legs. I didn’t move for a short time wondering and thinking how that it evidently didn’t bother him very much. He apparently was just making his late night rounds that night. Glad I didn’t bother him, I don’t think the wife & I either one could have lived with each other if he would have gotten startled.

Got any good stories to share?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Last night we went to throw out our trash here at the campground and out comes a moose. I think she got spooked by someone's dog barking. She came trotting out from between 2 trailers still munching on twigs! She went in the woods. Wish I'd had my camera.

I'm thankful too that you didn't startle the skunk.

On edit: I remember when Bernie and I first got married, we were tent camping at Ft. McAllister in Richmond Hill, GA. Well, it was way up in the morning hours (about 3:00 am) when a racoon figured out how to break into the rubbermaid container just about the same time Little Bit learned how to open the zipper to the tent with her nose. At 3:01 am, Bernie and Tammy were grabbing the dog as she tried to make a break for the racoon. Luckily, the racoon got away, we grabbed Little Bit and saved the contents of our rubbermaid container.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We went camping last weekend at Unicoi State Park in North Georgia. Friday was my birthday so we went to a rustic little restaurant in Hiawasse called the Deer Lodge. When we finished dinner we came out of the restauarant to find a black bear standing at the end of the restaurant. Most of the bears we see around here are not very big. This bear was a large male and is the largest black bear I've ever seen here in the southeast. I made several pictures which I'll try to post later. He was sitting there just outside the kitchen sniffing the food smells emanating from the screen door.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Lamar, I think Bernie told you that we went to Unicoi for our first anniversary to tent camp. We had just purchased a new Saturn and loaded everything in it and took off. While we were in Helen, there was a torrential rain storm at the campground. We got back just as the rain was ending and I went in the tent to check things out. About that time, Bernie heard a little girl screaming. He turned just in time to see her on her bike slam into my brand new car. Her brakes had gotten wet with the rain and we were in the middle of a hill. I am so thankful she hit my car. She wasn't hurt other than a bruised arm and my car only had minimal damage. If my car hadn't been there, she would have run off the embankement of our site which was about 20 feet to the ground below. I hate to think what would have happened.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
When I was young our family tent camped across country on the way back from California to Florida (Dad's new duty station). We had a dog named Blackie (for the obvious reason) who had a "close encounter of the skunk kind"...never saw any animal go into reverse faster than he did when the skunk let him know just what he thought of dogs in general and Blackie in particular! Amusement at that part of the "adventure" was quickly replaced with repulsion (can you say "PEE YUUUU"). Thankfully, there were people at the campground who shared a home remedy that actually worked...bathing Blackie in tomato sauce! Nothing funnier or more pathetic than seeing a dog being washed with tomato sauce.

Robin
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Having lived in northern Wisconsin for a fair amount of time and having several Labs need I say more? The labs don't ever get sprayed on Saturday afternoon, they get it at 11:58 pm Sunday night. Then they come running in the house and into bed with anyone who happens to be in bed at that early hour. Not only do the dogs need washing, the sheets and pillow cases have to be changed. The only de-stinker recipe I know for sure that works is 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1 lb of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of Dawn or any dish liquid. You mix it in a bowl and smear it on the dog or cat or whatever and work it into a lather. Then let the varmint stay outside for at least twenty minutes. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry. Their coat will shine and absolutely no further stink.. It has never failed to work, and it works on Bear Skat too...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote