Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #121
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
CAT320..You are absolutely correct..We already have them.(intermittent check light on fridge)(no running lights on cap) We have already scheduled an appointment with the service center in Goshen for about mid April and we still have issues that need to be corrected ASAP. We are certain that other systems have been damaged or weakened by the melt down. The re wire that they did, although excellent, was a work around and the service center needs to make that right as well as inspect the entire electrical system...Hope it holds up that long without another "incident" We have completely lost confidence in the integrity of this 3400.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #122
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Rich and Helen, we are so sorry to hear of your problems, it looks like this week I will be tracing all the wires on my 07 3040.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #123
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Rich and Helen,
I just caught up on the MOC and am appalled at what has happened to you! Thank goodness you two are ok; your health and well being is obviously the most important factor in this bad experience.
I made Steve go out and check the spot that S Reigle mentioned; sure enough, it doesn't have a gromet and the wires are just slopping around on the rough metal. All insulation looks ok (for now). I can guarentee it will be "fixed" with pipe foam wrap before our next trip out...
Steve dropped the underbelly in our Montana about 2 months ago here in CA...what a mess. He wanted to insulate it and tidy things up. He found spare pieces of pipe lying around, sawdust, loose hydraulic lines...really ugly. Took about three days to do the job.
Hang in there guys...you are being such troopers.
t and s
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #124
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thought I would pass this along. Bill Tea is the owner of our Dealership, Town and Country Rv in Clyde, Ohio

Bill, Thank you for your quick reply. We are in Lake Havasu City, Az till the end of Jan then in Apache Junction, Az from the 1st of Feb to March 12th. We do not plan to be back in Ohio till @ the 1st of April. We do feel that this unit needs a complete checkout due to the nature of the problem and the re wire that was done needs to be brought back to Montana Spec's. Helen and I would feel much more secure knowing that all was in good order.If there is a place out here that can do the job we would be glad to take it there on your recommendation.

We are also encouraged to hear that this problem is a first for you and we will pass that on to The MOC Forum as it has been of some concern to many.

----- Original Message -----
To: Richard J Lascola,SR
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: Melt down

Rich,

Just got your e-mail. This is the first I knew of your problem. Rest assured we will get all your problems solved. This is the first problem of this type I have experienced in a Montana. I don't know how you feel about having any work done out there but I think a comprehensive check of your unit needs to be done. If the front cap needs to be removed I feel better about us doing it here then any where else. I do not know if you want to wait that long. If you want me to, I will find the best place possible out there for a total check out of your unit. Please be assured that I will get your problems solved. If you have any bills that you have acquired please forward them to my attention. I will get you reimbursed promptly. Please let me know what you are thinking and I will expedite any service. I apologize for any inconvenience this has may caused. please have a happy New Year. I will wait for a response.

Thanks
Bill Tea
Town & Country RV Center Inc.
----- Original Message -----
To: Mark Krol
Cc: billtea@woh.rr.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:48 PM
Subject: Melt down

Just wanted to get this on the record. Mark as you know we had a serious melt down of some wiring on our 06 3400 on our way to Az. This occurred in Quartzsite, Az 12/18/2006. After calling you Susan did a outstanding job in directing us to Rv Lifestyles in Quartzsite where the guys there did a outstanding job of getting us back on the road..This is from their worksheet.

"Smoke from front compartment on coach-burned wire attached to in line circuit breaker behind batteries-found burnt wire to be charge line from 7 way plug-found continuity to ground on black charge line wire-found continuity from black wire to green wire and brown wire and red wire all run in bundle through coach-re wired to correct.2) Hydraulic fluid leaking from belly-found hydraulic line melted from contact with black wire..replaced hose to correct"

It was only because that Helen and I follow a strict procedure in setting up.., slides out last and I follow them around that we saw the smoke and were able to power down before the camper burst into flame. Although the re wire job was excellent it is a work around and does not follow Montana wiring. The front cap would have to be dropped to accomplish that. As result we have no front running lights at the top of the front cap. We also suspect that the 12V system took a hit due to the melt down and other things have been damaged and may fail,,Example.. Fridge will not work on gas, igniter will not work, steady check light on Fridge. Probable damage to 12V section of CKT board. The breaker for the Converter fails at least once a day, I catch it more at times..The 12V lights have flickered on more than one occasion. Our Apollo 1/2 time oven also failed, Lynn at Apollo is attempting to take care of that. We were appalled at what we saw when the guys dropped the underbelly. What a mess.That charge wire rubbed against the frame..It was just laying there..no protection. We will need to make a appointment at the service center for when we return to return the wiring to Montana standards..if there is such a thing.. Mark we have completely lost confidence in the integrity of this unit. We have added Smoke detectors in all out side compartments and in other areas of the camper as we fear that this thing could burn down at any time due to unknown damage done by the melt down,We would return to Ohio but that is not a finanical option.We know that Keystone/Montana will take are of all issues..the record is outstanding..however,,this type of falure is preventable.Had I not been outside to see the initial smoke this could have been a fatal incident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 3 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #125
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Rich, sounds like you have an awesome dealer!! It's nice when people step up and do the right thing. It's a refreshing attitude compared to some of the stories we hear. Glad you are getting things worked out so you can enjoy your stay here in AZ. Thanks for keeping all of us updated on this issue.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #126
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I can feel the apprehention Rich, And I again feel very sorry this happened, but glad of the outcome with you and Helen safe.
Sounds like you have an excellent dealer, I am glad you posted his responce to your problems. I don't believe there is a standard in regards to how the wire is protected in these or any RV units today, as with aviation it take's something really bad to change installations procedure's. I think that your incident has made many of us a lot more apprehensive as to what might happen. Safe Travels my friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #127
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It appears that your dealer is your best bet because I believe that he will let you know if you need to take the unit to Goshen. Sounds like you have a great dealer!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #128
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
UPDATE.. Got a E mail from Tom Brandon, Team Montana expressing regret on our "negative exception" ( i like that better than "isolated incident')and insures that Keystone will do everything to make it right.Thus far we have much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from Keystone but no action.We remain optimistic and will rely on Keystone to take the action required.If we were near our dealer this would already be done..no doubt about that.. We shall see...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #129
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Bonnie and I met Bill Tea last Saturday. When we said that Rich directed us to his dealership, he did not hesitate to mention the fire and added that he will do whatever is necessary to make it right. We spent almost three very informative and productive hours with Bill, most of it in a 3400RL on his lot. The heat was not on and the outside temperature was about 40 degrees, but we didn't mind. He knew up front that we were more than a year from buying and he still spent time with us. When we were finally ready to leave, it was almost an hour after their Saturday closing time. We will second Rich's favorable comments about Bill Tea.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #130
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
First and foremost,sorry about your incident and was most happy to hear that you and your Mrs. are ok.We need to put heat on these rv builders so that things like this do not happen, whether isolated or not.These are temp. homes in which we sleep,eat and relax.These electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems need to be inspected by an outside inspector and follow a code, just like our stick built homes are.Will it ever happen.probably not but as for this being an industry thing ;it is for most builders but look under the belly of a Carriage product.I was amazed at the neatness of the wiring,12 volt and 110 separated and run through extra grommets and protective covering.Water lines neatly arranged as was the gas lines.Not a spaghetti mess.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #131
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
FURTHER UPDATE..Everyone is being very helpful and concerned. Being 2200 miles away from Goshen and our Dealer does not help any.Tom Brandon, Team Montana is working with us to get a service center date set up when we return. The front cap needs to come off and we really do not trust anyone but our dealer or the service center to do that.We have service center issues so we do want to go there. We are attempting to co- ordinate to have the issues that concern us the most repaired here on site..It will happen..just takes 2200 miles and a 2 hour time difference to deal with. We are not happy with Keystone in that we had issues that IMO were easily preventable but we are very pleased with
their response and concern to our problems..As some of you like to say...Keystone is stepping up to the plate and that is why we have the Montana. Can't say enough about our Dealer..Bill Tea and Company at Town & Country Rv in Clyde , Ohio..He is a driving force in this entire affair.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #132
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The kind of genuine "customer care" that I'm hearing described here would make me seriously consider buying our next Montana from Town and Country RV, even though it's probably 1000+ miles away. That would also make a good shakedown trip bringing it home to Texas!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #133
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
VanMan.My guess is you would come out ahead or at best break even on the transportation charges by doing that and you can tour the Montana Plant& service center. With the transportation charges that are being reported to the west coast , if you can do that it may be a money saver, vacation,and shakedown trip.We just got the OK from Bill Tea our dealer to go ahead and have a mobile repair van come put and do the repirs we feel we need done.... He will pay the bill and deal with Keystone.We indicated we chose to have these things repaired on site less that 1 hour ago and we have his reply..
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #134
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fridge repair guy was here.. As suspected the 12V side of the ckt borad is fried as a result of the "meltdown" FYI.The ckt board in our Built in April 2006 3400 is a new upgrade that he knew of but had not seen before therefore he did not have one in stock and had to order. We are slowly but surely getting our camper back on line.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #135
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich I really appreciate all you are going through. Electrical problems ugh - anything but that however I am requesting you start a new post on this issue. It is getting hard to pull this one up - I guess the file is so heavy - what is it up to now 14 pages. I recommend a new one "Up in smoke part II".
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote