Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Filling Fresh Water Tank

When filling the fresh water tank with the hose attached to the City Water port, I noticed if I unscrew the cap on the Fresh Water Fill neck, behind another door, air whooshes ( aint that a descriptive word ) out like the tank was building pressure. Is the small hole with the screen next to the filler not a vent? Also, if I try to put water in this filler port, it just backs up and runs out on the ground. Is this normal, or could the hoses be kinked?

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

When filling the fresh water tank with the hose attached to the City Water port,
Lonnie,

I don't think you can fill the fresh water tank by hooking a hose to the City water port. I'm sure there is a check valve in that system so water doesn't go into the water tank. The small hole with the screen is a vent for the water tank, If air whooshes out when the cap is taken off, it does sound like the vent isn't working right.
Yes I would think you might have a kink in the filler hose or maybe the tank is just full?. In our last trailer The filler hose had a bit of a loop in it, so I cut a 3' pc of garden hose (left the female end on it) and worked it into the filler hose 2' and that stopped the water from backing up.
Just pulled the garden hose out after filling the tank each time.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Jay I believe the newer models has what we call a "docking bay" in them. I know mine does and you can fill the fresh water holding tank by turning a valve in the dock bay that is labeled for such acts. "Fresh Water Fill"
Lonnie - in the back corner of your unit on the inside you should see an angle looking box from the wall to the floor with carpet on it. This is right over the outside water fill hole. Feel around in the carpet and you should find 2 maybe three screws to take out and this will allow you to remove the cover box over the fill tube. Then check the vent hose for kinks. They don't have a lot of room in there and I noticed on the assembly line at the factory that these thing get installed before the outside cover and probably get pushed back in there thus pinching the hose. You may have to find a like size hose and some hose clamps to remedy. Once you get in there you will see it is not that complicated.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
That's correct Indy, it has a valve in the " Docking Bay " for this purpose. I think access to the back side of the outside filler though is going to be behind the entertainment center. I'll look when I get home tonight. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Oops, I now see you have a Rear Kitchen model. I would still look back in that same corner for a cover over the fill tube.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Indy, I'll look there, but the filler is forward of the LR slide out, between there and the water heater, and in that space is the entertainment center.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Problem solved . Removed panel from bottom of the entertainment center, and found what I was looking for. The large hose from the filler neck to the tank went into the cabinet at a downward angle of 20 to 30 degrees then, because the hose was too long, it went up at about a 40 degree angle. I cut about 4 inches off the length and clamped it back on the filler neck. It now goes in at a downward angle and continues downward into the tank. The vent hose was also about 4" too long. I took it off and just for fun, blew into it. It was full of water and at first a little difficult to blow through. Once it went through, it worked fine. Shortened the hose, reclamped it, and tried it out. No more whoosh. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Man I love it when a plan comes together........and it works.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Yeah man.....aint it coool. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lonnie, at the rally Keystone told us we should remove that cap when filling via the city water connection. They said the water coming in builds pressure faster than that little vent can remove it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Lonnie - Sounds like you found your CALLING... all you need to do now is set up a route from camp ground to camp ground and have a sign on the door of your TV saying ""HOSE FIXER UPPER"" - I am glad you found the problem and FIXED IT.
John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Thanks for the info Steve, I'll remember that. I guess the vent is more for when you are pumping water out of the tank, than into it. It' no big deal to remove the cap other than the hose and all turned when undoing it letting it come loose from the housing, but I fixed that too while I was in there. My biggest concern was the fact that water wouldn't go down the fill hose, but even that turned out to be of no consequence.
John, I believe Ozz is right, you sir, are a HOOT. I wish I had the TIME to travel from CG to CG doing whatever. It would be a blast.
Thank you all.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad you got it fixed, Lonnie. On the vent, when I fill the tank using the normal hose in the hole method air also escapes around the hose in the big hole. But with the new ones being able to fill the tank by flipping a switch, I guess no air escapes around the hose and the little vent can't keep up. Now I need to check the hoses in mine. Thanks for the tip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
You guys are good!!

On edit: It's nice to know there are so many talented men out there! (including my Dano)

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Gee, just when I thought I had my Monty figured out. Back to work to check those hoses out. Thanks for info.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote