Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Heater Return Vent

If there has been previous discussion on this, please direct me to the appropriate conversation.
In the 3650RK, the 'air return vent' is the riser for the first step. Is this truly a 'return air vent'? I removed the vent and it just opens into the basement. Currently, the only value I see is that it radiates cold into the living the space from the exposed metal frame (realize of course it is below freezing outside). My question, can I just close this off and insulate the compartment without causing overheating or other issues with the converter, water pump, heater, etc?

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
IceHouse,check out this link!
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=26287
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bernie,

That truly is a return air vent for the furnace. There was a thread on this last week but now I can't find it either.

It's important to keep the furnace operating in a recirculation mode to be efficient, with similar volumes of air being returned to the furnace as is being discharged from the furnace. Blocking that vent will change that configuration into a one way air mover trying to move air from that little furnace space into a sealed living space with no means for relief air to get back to the furnace space. It will slow the airflow and most likely cause the furnace to overheat and shutdown.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thanks for the quick feedback. This is way I DO NOT work on HVAC systems!!! Since it is conducting cold throughout the basement and living area, I will just cover the metal ( floor only) with insulation and leave well enough alone.
Thanks again for the advice.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote