Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Receiver Hitch on Montana

Has anyone had a receiver hitch installed on their Monty? Talked to my dealer yesterday and they have done several of these. I would use it for our bicycles. moving from back of trailer to back of truck as needed when traveling. Not a cheap job, but probably well worth it in the long hall.

Just wondering if anyone had this done and how it looked.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Other discussions have shared info that this will void your frame warranty so be sure you're out of warranty. We'd like to do the same.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I had one installed a couple of weeks ago by a welding shop and it looks great! It's welded to the frame (the I beams) just behind where the water tank tucks up. It is a 2" receiver and we mount a bike rack to it. It cost me $360.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have a friend that had one installed on his Big Sky, the dealer did it for him, no mention made about voiding the warranty.
I put a reciever hitch on my hitch-pin box on my 3670RL, for my bikes. I did not like them on the ladder or on the back. It works if you have a long bed P/U. Plenty of clearance. I made it in one afternoon and it cost me less than $75.00. I made it to bolt to the sides of the pin box. I made it for my previous 3255RL, and put it on my new unit.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
There seems to be alot of different opinions when it comes to frame mounted hitches. I read somewhere in the warranty paper work that if you mount one to the coach it will void your warranty. That is good enough for me, I wont be adding one until Keystone has something out approved by both the frame company and themselves.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
When we saw the Mountaineers at the Toronto RV show some of them had carriers put on at the factory, for carrying bicycles etc. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes the Cougers and Mountaineers have factory installed hitches rated at 200LBS. We were told that the reason Montana could not install a similar hitch was because of the rear cap on the Montana. So what's the story of voiding the warranty.Would that mean that the Warranty on the Couger and moutaineer is voided by the factory? Our dealer can put the rear mounted hitch on the 3400 and it is going on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thanks for the information. We will be having the receiver hitch put on next week. If we can't take our bikes with us we miss half of the fun! Once we ddrop the trailer I can put the hitch on the truck and go!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Why not try calling Lippert and getting first hand information instead of basing a decision on all of these opinions? MIMF/MIMF2 has posted his number on the forum several times, He works for Lippert.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
The hitch on the Mountaineer is installed at the Keystone factory. Any options that would come from the factory would be covered by the manufacturer. The Montana does not have a hitch and the manual stats they(Keystone) will not cover any damage to the coach. Makes me think this comes more from Lippert since they are the makers of the frame. I am just one of those people that if something says do not do, "will void warranty" I tend not to. Maybe I error on the side of caution. Again, that is just my opinion. I would like to hear what Dale has to say about this topic.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree Montana sky.. However It is one of those things that does not make any sense. If a hitch on the camper will void the Warranty then why would it make any difference who installes it or where it is installed. So the factory installs it and it is magically Ok???
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rich,
It may seem to not make sense but there may be something about the way the factory installs the hitch (Lippert may have some particular way it should be done). I agree that if the factory installs it, then it falls under the warranty portion of the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I sent a PM to MIMF2 and asked him to enlighten us since he works for Lippert.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Have we ever had a report of a rear mount receiver with bikes on causeing the frame to fail???? Help us if we have a rear galley area and carry to many cast iron skillets.This could void the warranty. If this frame cannot take a bike rack ,we had better leave the trailer parked at home.I would be afraid to take it out on some of the nasty highways that we have all been on for fear that the frame may fail. I fabricated my own hitch and installed it on my Mountaineer 04. If I have a frame failure I will haul it back to Lippet and have them run some steel test to check for inferior steel in the frame, or bad welding. Every one can figure by now most parts in or on rvs are not the best.This is why all thing, on or in a RV are covered by " A Cover The Manufacturers Butt", style warranty.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

I have a friend that had one installed on his Big Sky, the dealer did it for him, no mention made about voiding the warranty.
I put a reciever hitch on my hitch-pin box on my 3670RL, for my bikes. I did not like them on the ladder or on the back. It works if you have a long bed P/U. Plenty of clearance. I made it in one afternoon and it cost me less than $75.00. I made it to bolt to the sides of the pin box. I made it for my previous 3255RL, and put it on my new unit.
I also have a 3670RL being pulled by a Chevy 1 ton longbed dually, do you have any pictures of your setup I am really interested in how it works
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I will take some pictures tomorrow, but it is a simple setup. I took 1" angle steel, cut it to extend the length of the pinbox on both sides to the front of the RV. I bolted these to the sides of the box using the existing holes in the pinbox. I bolted a piece of flat sheet steel to the top of the angle and on top of the sheet steel I bolted a reciever hitch made to install on the bottom of a step bumper.
I got the steel from a metal shop and the reciever hitch at Northern Tools.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #17
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
OK Gang, here I am!

I have been asked to post here so, here it is. Some of you will not like what I am about to say.

As you all know, the Couger and Mountaineer have the slide out rear bumper style bike racks. Those racks are made to hold bicycles only and a carrying capacity of 150 or 200 lbs. NO GENERATORS, FREEZERS, STOREAGE CHESTS, ETC. ETC. Those frames and the racks were designed for that use by Keystone and our engineers.

If you ever look at the back of a Zepplin, you will see a 1 1/4" receiver. I think there is one other model that has it. I'm not exactly sure. Look at it closely. It is welded to the frame and the rear 4" square bumper. The reason a 1 1/4" receiver was used was to lessen the chance of that being used to tow a utility trailer or boat. Bike racks come in the 1 1/4" size. That receiver is made to hold two bikes and the spare tire or a total weight of 110 pounds. At that, it doesn't take long to get that about maxed out.

The reason a bike rack has not yet been made for Everest, Montana or Challenger is because there is no rear bumper. It is cover by the rear end cap.

We will not frown on a 1 1/4" receiver mounted on the tail of any of those units. We will however, if you develope a frame issue of some sort and there is a 2" receiver back there. Chances are very good that the cost of the repairs will come out of your pocket. Even if the coach is less than two years old. To state it simply, how are you going to prove to us that it was only used to hold a bike rack?

If you do develope a frame issue of some sort do not remove the hitch! We will find it and wander what you are trying to hide.

Now, I read something mentioned about carrying heavy pots and pans in a rear kitchen. In those models, because of the weight back there from the heavy appliances, the frame is already heavier than the others. I could be wrong. I have been before. Even then adding a 1 1/4" receiver on the tail should not hurt. If it is used for a bike rack only.

The bottom line is this. It is your coach and we can not tell you that you can not do something to it. We just want you to be aware that if repairs are going to be needed, you will need to present one heck of a case as to why you should not have to pay for the repairs if things are added to the frame by people unknown.

I know I have probably opened a can of worms but, that's OK. If you folks need to chew on my butt, I've got more if it than you do teeth. Besides, it will eventually grow back.

I won't do it to my coach because I don't want to hurt it. It is each of your own individual decisions.

Have a good evening.
Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See ask a question and you will get an answer. Thanks Dale .I now know that a 1 1/4 inch hitch will probably be OK and I understand Lipperts point of View. I have seen some nasty loads on the rear of Campers. So If I have a bike rack installed on my 3400 it will be a 1 1/4 inch hitch..No problem....
Old 03-29-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I had one installed on my Monty last year, cost 325.00. Cheapest money I ever spent then bought a 4 bike rack at costco for 134.00. Works great, use pipe wrap split to cover parts on bikes so they don"t scratch.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

I will take some pictures tomorrow, but it is a simple setup. I took 1" angle steel, cut it to extend the length of the pinbox on both sides to the front of the RV. I bolted these to the sides of the box using the existing holes in the pinbox. I bolted a piece of flat sheet steel to the top of the angle and on top of the sheet steel I bolted a reciever hitch made to install on the bottom of a step bumper.
I got the steel from a metal shop and the reciever hitch at Northern Tools.
I think I understand the setup but pictures would be great. I look forward to seeing them.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote