Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Solid steps vs. folding steps?

OK, I just heard that if I order a new Montana, it only comes with the solid steps!! So how in the heck are we supposed to be able to get into our 5th wheel trailers when they are in the RV storage lots? Have any of you figured out how to retrofit back to the folding stairs from these new solid stairs? I am totally disappointed in this new design? Sure they are more sturdy if weight is an issue, and if you have tons of space between units at RV storage lots, but no, most RV lots are 12' wide spaces, and that is if every RV owner on both sides parks perfectly in the middle of their spot. So what is the cure for this stupid design upgrade?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We told the dealer that the Moryde steps were a deal breaker for us (two home bases with porches). Keystone provided them with a conversion kit that included the Lippert alumium steps that are really quite good. It was not hard to convert and the dealer didn't charge us (told them that after we got a price). My guess is they sold the Moryde steps to someone with an older rig and probably made money on the deal.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Viper,

I would not give up our solid steps for anything - they are great.

Until my storage place was able to get me an end spot that allowed me to open a slide and put the steps down, I just pulled my rig forward a few feet when I needed to open the door. Actually until moving I could not even open the door with hitting a post. Several of the rigs in my storage area are able to use their solid steps without moving.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
We just upgraded to a Montana from a Cougar in February. I'm not a fan of the solid steps. I've got two sets on my 3731FL and they're more of a pain when opening the doors, leveling the unit, setting the correct length and getting access when in storage. I park my rig on the right line while in storage just so I can get access, but it depends on where my neighbors have parked their units. But, you can't beat the stability.

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
My wife liked the solid steps till someone told her how they need to be cleaned pretty good before folding up. We actually like the aluminum ones so far & they stay out of the coach.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
I have the mor-ryde solid steps on our 2018 3731FL and prefer them any day over the unstable old style.
It only takes a couple minutes to clean before folding up as well as adjusting when open.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I think folks make way to big a deal out of the clearance needed to drop solid steps!!! After all if your that close to a wall folding steps won’t fold out and slides won’t go out!!! Get over it already.

The fold up steps that came on our unit were very flimsy. I have had more than one person comment about how could such a nice looking coach have such cheesy steps. Very embarrassing!!!

I just bought a high dollar Montana so spending a little more on wider storage unit to accomdate it should NOT be an issue!! If the storage is wide enough for slides out it will be plenty wide enough for solid steps

Besides if YOU don’t like solid steps change them out. The other half of us are tired of the flimsy folding kind!! Sorta like watching TV if you don’t like the channel just change it. Don’t demand it be deleted others like it!

As for me, I currently have flimsy folding steps. I will be installing solid Moyrride ride steps (yes I have tried them out on other campers to make sure I like them and wife and I love them). I will be setting posts and building my RV storage in just a few weeks and you can bet it will be wide enough to accommodate the slides and steps!

If you don’t care for the solid steps that’s your right. Just like I have to buy my upgrade you have to buy your downgrade
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We love are solid steps best thing they have come up with in a long time we have had no problems being able to put them down even in a wayside or truck stop yet. I keep are 5er at the house so no problem when stored. would never go back to the junk that comes on them.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have a set of OEM steps I can let go for a reasonable price. Can bring them to the fall rally.

After going to solid steps we are not going back.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are OK with the OEM steps. The solid steps are just great but do not work for some.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
OP, do yourself a favor and look at the revolution glow steps. They are folding steps that touch the ground and can be adjusted in multiple ways to accommodate any terrain. I have these on my unit and would not be without then. They work great.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Have the stock folding steps on the last two campers (16 yrs) and they work fine for us. Not worth the money and no they would not work where I store our trailer. We can't all afford to build private storage units and customize them to fit our needs. Feel lucky to have covered storage where we live for $21 per month.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
OK, I just heard that if I order a new Montana, it only comes with the solid steps!! So how in the heck are we supposed to be able to get into our 5th wheel trailers when they are in the RV storage lots? Have any of you figured out how to retrofit back to the folding stairs from these new solid stairs? I am totally disappointed in this new design? Sure they are more sturdy if weight is an issue, and if you have tons of space between units at RV storage lots, but no, most RV lots are 12' wide spaces, and that is if every RV owner on both sides parks perfectly in the middle of their spot. So what is the cure for this stupid design upgrade?
I just bought a newer Montana and also just realized the same issue in storage.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Where on earth are you storing with on 12’ wide and how do you put out slides? Do you have electricity to keep RV reasonably warm/cool? Or do you have to hookup and pull unit out to prep it for weekend outings in which case what does it matter about the steps?

If you don’t like the new style steps just retrofit with the old style. In the past, those of us who did like the one piece steps had to retrofit our units with them. What’s the big deal? Talk to your dealer and have him retrofit the old style steps or you won’t accept the new unit....

My point is, obviously the majority of folks do like the new steps or you can bet Keystone would not be spending the extra they cost installing them. It isn’t realistic to expect they will make everyone happy with everything.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Luckily we can park our 5er in the driveway but even if we had to use a storage lot, still would prefer the LCI Solid Steps with the Stromberg extended grab bar over the OEM springboards. My wife occasionally has a vertigo problem and the bounciness of the originals did not give her a good feeling. If we were loading to leave, I would just hook up and pull forward since I couldn't access much more then the reefer and the bath anyhow unless a slide or two were extended.

That dirt (non) problem when stowing the steps is handled by a three buck work bench brush (and about a minutes time) from Harbor Freight. The purported water problem when (IF!) breaking camp in the rain is covered by an old towel.

If I have any complaint, it's that I can't easily put items in the doorway either with the steps stowed or extended. While extended, I just push the grab bar the opposite way.

Looks to me if you want to buy any new midline and up trailer of any sort, you will end up with either a MORryde or LCI drawbridge entry steps. Or you can update with the Torklift Glow Steps that work solidly and well too and stow in the OEM 'hole'.

Oh and I just happen to have a spare set of aluminum step springboards ...... I do like my new MORryde tool box that fits in the OEM stair space
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #16
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OK, here is the math for our storage facility, which is new and well maintained. The spots are 12 feet wide. So if I park dead center, and the person on my stair side parks dead center, then there is less than 4 feet between us. My slides can make it out, because they are 41" from the side of the 5ver. If any of you solid folks have measured, the solid stairs are about 53" totally pushed in on the adjustment on the bottom, so it will not swing down between RV's OK, so I could move over around 9-10" and the I won't be able to put out my slides on the other side, especially if the other people are not dead center, or are close to me than they should be. 53" is a lot. I thought they should have one pivot point in the middle of the solid steps, so they can be brought down in a slight bend position, and then straighten them out, once they are below the RV next to you in storage. The 4 step folding stairs we have on our 2107 3820FK, are really solid. I don't see the benefit of going with something that is more solid only to have dirt and debris go into the coach every time you have to fold up the stairs to move on to the next RV park. If you stay at RV spots for longer than a month, then it is not a bother, but we have stayed at around 60 parks in the last two years, and have another 27 to go this season.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
OK, here is the math for our storage facility, which is new and well maintained. The spots are 12 feet wide. So if I park dead center, and the person on my stair side parks dead center, then there is less than 4 feet between us. My slides can make it out, because they are 41" from the side of the 5ver. If any of you solid folks have measured, the solid stairs are about 53" totally pushed in on the adjustment on the bottom, so it will not swing down between RV's OK, so I could move over around 9-10" and the I won't be able to put out my slides on the other side, especially if the other people are not dead center, or are close to me than they should be. 53" is a lot. I thought they should have one pivot point in the middle of the solid steps, so they can be brought down in a slight bend position, and then straighten them out, once they are below the RV next to you in storage. The 4 step folding stairs we have on our 2107 3820FK, are really solid. I don't see the benefit of going with something that is more solid only to have dirt and debris go into the coach every time you have to fold up the stairs to move on to the next RV park. If you stay at RV spots for longer than a month, then it is not a bother, but we have stayed at around 60 parks in the last two years, and have another 27 to go this season.
Ok so don’t buy a solid step or any camper that has them or have the dealer retrofit folding steps. Problem solved

Fairly obvious your only part time if your storing the unit in that tight a location so what is the big deal about just waiting till your hooked up to access unit?? I have never seen a campground so tight that solid steps would be an issue and I sure as heck wouldn’t stay in one!!!

Either that or find a better storage location or SIMPLY REPLACE the solid steps with something that works for you??

I’m calling BS on the dirt and water in the camper that is a realllllyyyyyyy weak point and very easy to address.

For many mature folks solid entry steps are VERY important. Obviously Keystone understands that as well. Granted it might take some MINOR adjustments to use them but they are just that. MINOR!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
That 'dirt and debris' note is what always makes me laugh. You are still bring it in on your feet, regardless of what type steps you use. A brush, broom and/or a vacuum handles what little comes in, regardless of what steps you use. If you have a storage lot space problem - that too can be handled, but not always quite as easily. We much prefer the added personal safety of our new steps and can easily work around any nigglers. Others - you need to satisfy YOUR need, not what others say
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #19
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
This is the e-mail I got from the Sales Manager at Sierra RV in Reno, NV

"Hi Dennis,

Folding steps are a no go. The only steps they have are the one it comes with. They don’t offer the older style on any Montana or High Country. They don’t even have the brackets there that they would attach to either, so they can’t be installed after market either. Sorry.

Gary"

So what I need to find out from someone that bought a new Montana, what exactly did they do to put folding stairs back on to it?

We stay at really nice RV parks, so spacing is not an issue there, it is only at our storage facility, in Reno, NV, which is an hour away from our home up here in the mountains of Lake Tahoe. We have to do work and prep on our 5th wheel, because our streets up here in the mountains are so sloped, you can not get the 5ver level enough to put out the slides, so we do all kinds of repair and maintenance and prep at the RV facility, before we go on trips. Then we bring it to our home to load last minute items, and we don't have to put the slides out to do that.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
This is the e-mail I got from the Sales Manager at Sierra RV in Reno, NV

"Hi Dennis,

Folding steps are a no go. The only steps they have are the one it comes with. They don’t offer the older style on any Montana or High Country. They don’t even have the brackets there that they would attach to either, so they can’t be installed after market either. Sorry.

Gary"

So what I need to find out from someone that bought a new Montana, what exactly did they do to put folding stairs back on to it?

We stay at really nice RV parks, so spacing is not an issue there, it is only at our storage facility, in Reno, NV, which is an hour away from our home up here in the mountains of Lake Tahoe. We have to do work and prep on our 5th wheel, because our streets up here in the mountains are so sloped, you can not get the 5ver level enough to put out the slides, so we do all kinds of repair and maintenance and prep at the RV facility, before we go on trips. Then we bring it to our home to load last minute items, and we don't have to put the slides out to do that.
Sounds like your going to have to find a larger space storage area or find a welder to build some brackets to mount the old style steps. It is NOT impossible as the dealer suggests. Dealers just don’t like doing custom work! I bet if you started backing out of the deal because of the steps or refused to take delivery they would come up with a fix for you!!