Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #32
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I posted this somewhere else in the past. Here is my take on the Samsung reefer running on only the pair of 12 volt batteries installed by the dealer when we picked up on Oct. 31, '17. I had several times the first trips noticed the reefer getting warm. So I tested it at home running only the ref, all else turned off (key in convenience center removed). No shore power but not charging through the truck. The input voltage dropped to 10.5 (the cut off point for the inverter) after between 36-40 hours. The ambient temperature was mostly below 65 degrees, inside and out. The wattage draw, shown on the inverter display, was between 40 and 120 watts depending on what part of the cycle the reefer was in - amazingly efficient refrigerators. I'm sure these numbers would be different if the truck was charging and the ambient temp was higher. It turns out that the inverter was never turned on by the dealer, hence the warming up of the freezer especially during 4-6 hour trips to campgrounds. I had also found one of the wires on one of the batteries very loose.So my test indicated that our Samsung might run well over 30 hours on the two marine deep cycle batteries installed by the dealer if conditions are right. It is not advised to let the wet cel batteries get down to 10.5 vdc.