Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
First, welcome to the forum! There are always going to be some issues on brand new units, many caused by the speed at which the haulers travel out of Goshen, some caused by the dealers and most caused by the speed of the assembly line at the plant. The dealer should replace those fittings weather Keystone does or not, IMHO, but if they don't know when the rig arrived and how long it was on their lot, I don't have a lot of confidence they could get Keystone to do anything. It really is all about the dealer.
Maybe some of the posts will have people looking elsewhere other than a Thor Product.... If new buyers keep seeing this, I hope they do go elsewhere... In our travels we have folks all over, wanting to know about our Montana... I won't lie to them... Every person agreed to look at other non Thor Products... Sorry, but the word does get out.... We just got back from a trip.. Non eventful thank god this time... If you Want a Montana, don't pay more than 60 percent of msrp and have the dealer throw in a warranty....
Just the way it is...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Maybe some of the posts will have people looking elsewhere other than a Thor Product.... If new buyers keep seeing this, I hope they do go elsewhere... In our travels we have folks all over, wanting to know about our Montana... I won't lie to them... Every person agreed to look at other non Thor Products... Sorry, but the word does get out.... We just got back from a trip.. Non eventful thank god this time... If you Want a Montana, don't pay more than 60 percent of msrp and have the dealer throw in a warranty....
Just the way it is...
Check out the Forest River forum ~~ Keystone has fewer complaints, especially big problems and sells more units.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not looking a Thor Products will cut down on looking time. "In 2017, Thor was number one in the RV market with a 48% market share."
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #24
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Just the way it is...
1st tip on FR ~~ listen to the part in the manual about not traveling with water in the tanks. For years their tanks, especially FW have fallen out while traveling or parked. Rarely full tanks,,,,
Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #25
Montana3661RL

M.O.C. #22019
Popping noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
Welcome to the forum. We have a 2018 3790RD and have not had the same issues, although I will be adding the CAT hydraulic oil additive to the leveling system to cure the popping noise.
What are you saying the popping noise is caused from? We also had an issue with popping noise my wife said sounded like someone slamming a door. I solved the issue by putting two jack stands on each side of frame and a fifth wheel stabilizer
Montana3661RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:05 AM   #26
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Had the same problem after a couple of months. I added 2 containers of the Cat Hydraulic conditioner oil and the popping has gone away. I dose work but not cheap. You can`t beat Caterpillar engineering and they charge accordingly.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
1st tip on FR ~~ listen to the part in the manual about not traveling with water in the tanks. For years their tanks, especially FW have fallen out while traveling or parked. Rarely full tanks,,,,
Two of our holding tanks on our 13 3402 burst while standing still on our Florida lot.They both separated at the input to the tank.They were not full ...but..isn't that what holding tanks are for. Why call them holding tanks if they do not hold a full tank of whatever.We do not see a warning label that says "do not fill to capacity" were does it say do not fill tanks to capacity in the owners Manuel.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yea Rich they are HOLDING TANKS. If you should only put 20 gallons in them why put tanks 3 times that size in them. Don’t make any sense. Maybe just maybe Keystone should brace then up better or God forbid put better tanks in them. I wouldn’t expect the same quality tank that are in my old 2007 Fleetwood MH.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have all our failed tanks braced properly.We talked to and visited the then Holding tank vendor to find out how to have it done. Keystone uses different holding tanks now.We shall see how well they hold.When in travel we only keep enough water in the tanks to keep them wet maybe 5 gallons or so. When at a campground or at our winter lot we keep the gray and galley tanks open and dump the black tank every 3 days, no more than four. We will fill the galley and grey tanks when dumping the black tank but never fill them full. We did a little test. We filled a gallon jug at our winter lot and at our S&B and timed how long it took to fill.Example if it took one Min to fill the jug then that is one gallon a min 10 mins 10 gallons, Etc.(it actually takes 30 seconds)
works good.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
We look at build dates and if the unit has any chance of being delivered on salt roads be bypass the unit for another. We looked one time at a SOB brand and it was so rusted under the unit i thought it was used and it was brand new just delivered. and of course the dealer says if you buy it we will fix it. Yea Right. Look for build dates between may through november and you should be safe.
I waited until spring before ordering mine just so it would not be delivered over salty roads.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #31
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
How I got a deal on a new 5er. Transporter given paperwork to deliver in FL. Fl dealer put it on back ,lot waiting on paperwork. Dealer in SC is waiting on it ~~ and waiting. By the time Keystone figured it out the 2017.5 models were out. SC dealer wanted it, FL dealer did not so a transporter was sent to FL to bring it to SC. I looked, SC dealer stated up front what happened and extra 1800 miles pulled. So ~~ new unit sat 4.5 months dealer offered 40% off I offered 55% off. Dealer had conversation with Keystone and next day we had a deal, 51% off.
Sweet!

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #32
jem

M.O.C. #20443
Quote:
Just the way it is...
dfb, i posted so many problems with Keystone mfg./ Thor.... had a 2017 HC Montana ... Frame welds broke. Repaired at Dealer to Keystone Mfg. specs,,,, after 22.6 miles it broke again (Keystone did nothing). We bought a New 2017 3000RE MONTANA... (+16,800 $ and my defective unit with only 2,136 miles of pull time.!) MANY PROBLEMS WITH NEW 3000RE....BACK TO DEALER NEXT WEEK (5th. time 105mi. RT) this is the 2nd. time we have missed a Trip to Alaska.!!!!!! QUALITY is ????? How about a class action lawsuit.? the RV industry needs to wake up.jem
jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #33
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Class Action Lawsuits will get you no where! In a class action suit you have to have specific problems with specific models and this would have to be done on an individual basis and individual suits. If you try a Class Action vs the RV industry it will be thrown out at the lowest point of entry into the legal system. If you are having so much problem with your old unit why did you buy another Thor product? There may be a problem with Quality Control but it is RV industry wide. If you go to any of the individual sites of the manufacturers and models you will see there is the same problem with ALL of them. I've had a few problems with our unit BUT I don't go on the Forum here and complain about them, I talk to my dealer and with Keystone Customer Service and we work things out. IF you complain and get nasty with both your dealer and with the Customer Service Rep at Keystone you are defeating the purpose and you will turn both of them off and won't get any help. If you work with them and explain the problems in a calm manner I've found out it works out a whole lot better. Threats will get you nowhere!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Most states have lemon laws to protect consumers and so a lawyer is not needed to get issues resolved. Class action lawsuits-- the lawyers win. Agree with Rondo, going in with class action lawsuit mindset to turn folks off and keep them from working with you. Your HC very well could have qualified as a lemon or at least started taking it down that path to get it fixed.

What are the issues on your 3000RE?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #35
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Yea Rich they are HOLDING TANKS. If you should only put 20 gallons in them why put tanks 3 times that size in them. Don’t make any sense. Maybe just maybe Keystone should brace then up better or God forbid put better tanks in them. I wouldn’t expect the same quality tank that are in my old 2007 Fleetwood MH.
Lynwood
Actually, beginning on 2018 models I believe, Montana is claiming to have "seamless roto-cast holding tanks". Made me feel better when purchasing our 2018.5 since we had galley tank problems on 2012.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lemon laws may vary by State...this is Ohio " Is There a Lemon Law that Covers RV's?

The federal RV Lemon Law was designed to protect your rights when your new RV turns sour and the manufacturer's dealer is unable to fix it within reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time. This law applies to motorized RV's including Class A, Class B and Class C motorhomes as well as towable RV's which include Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Fifth-Wheel Trailers and Truck Campers.

What should I do if I think my RV is a Lemon?

If you are asking this question, you've probably exhausted your efforts trying to resolve your problem with the manufacturer of your RV with no satisfactory result. THe next step is to gather all of your repair records, emails between you and the RV manufacturer, sales contract, receipts for repairs you were forced to pay for and contact an experienced attorney in RV Lemon Law cases to get good advice on exactly how the federal Lemon Law applies in your specific situation and to determine if other state or federal laws may also apply to your defective RV."
Old 06-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #37
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
dfb, i posted so many problems with Keystone mfg./ Thor.... had a 2017 HC Montana ... Frame welds broke. Repaired at Dealer to Keystone Mfg. specs,,,, after 22.6 miles it broke again (Keystone did nothing). We bought a New 2017 3000RE MONTANA... (+16,800 $ and my defective unit with only 2,136 miles of pull time.!) MANY PROBLEMS WITH NEW 3000RE....BACK TO DEALER NEXT WEEK (5th. time 105mi. RT) this is the 2nd. time we have missed a Trip to Alaska.!!!!!! QUALITY is ????? How about a class action lawsuit.? the RV industry needs to wake up.jem
I agree on the class action law suit. Need to find attorneys who do this. As far as a specific problem with a specific unit?. They are all EXACTLY THE SAME. MADE BT THE SAME FACTORY UNDER THE SAME COMPANY. THE suit i think would be failure of performance... these rvs are bought to do a job. Sold as doing a job. When this many units have problems, its time for an attorney to look into it.. I think besides financial awards, the Company Thor should either offer to buy the units back at full oridinal paid for price, or replace the product with a new one... im pretty fed up with paying good money only to get into constant trouble.. we did not buy these to work on them.. yes, sometime a thing here or there. But not a Constant berage of issues. Some possibly deadly, ie, hot wire to frame, walls falling off, slides sliding out, frame welds coming undone.. Just because THOR is the number one selling rv, who cares? They are number one because of the number of dealers, not because of quality.. Regretting a purchase is not fun... I miss Holiday Rambler, Alfa, western rv, original Sportsman by kz, ... The 2008 economy caused great companies to go under or be bought by Thor...
There is no excuse non, for alot of the issues folks are having...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #38
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I agree there is no excuse. If done correctly unlikely to cost more than $50 per vehicle and would save more in warranty costs. Management does not give a **** and many employees care less. So far I feel very lucky. No one is held accountable from top to bottom so why should anyone care?
Read some other owner forums. We are not alone and in better shape than most. My biggest complaint now is Keystone only ships parts to dealers. Get mon-oem whenever possible.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #39
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
not the same...lie

Used to have a Forest River, still belong to the forum and talk to old buddies from time to time. I got rid of mine when BOTH SIDES BROKE LOOSE FROM ALL 4 CORNERS so if you read them it sounds exactly like this forum just different brand names, so put down your money and roll the dice. Me , so far so good but I do hear creaking when I lower the RD down on to the truck now...….crossing fingers
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #40
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
We just traded our Forest River Rockwood for the Montana and the unit we had was made rather cheaply but we did not have any major issues the couple years we owned it. We were also a member of the forum and always found it very helpful to problem solve.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote