Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
The Impulse
Established Member

M.O.C. #19518
Question Organizing Storage Compartments

How do you all manage your storage compartments (I believe you refer to it as "the basement"?)....

We lost a lot of storage space when going to the 3820FK. The hubby wants to hang hoses and such items on the walls in the compartments but doesn't want to drill holes...

Any ideas are much appreciated. (Pictures are even better)...

2017 3820FK
First time Montana Owner
The Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We are totally containerized under there with containers we got from Wallmart and the big box hardware stores. Took measurements and looked till we found the right things.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yeah, us, too. Those plastic storage bins are worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned. Another thing you might consider in addition is one of those rollout floor installations so you can get to everything.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
yeah me too, we have the Morryde Cargo tray and containers. Works great.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
I used a rack system from the blue big box store.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Don't be afraid to drill, I installed hooks in the front compartment under the king pin, on the wall. hang my power cord and all my houses nice and neat on the wall. They never fall off and are always neet. I am able to use the rest of that compartment for wheel chocks, tool box, jack pads, basically that's my set up compartment.
As for the basement, I have a nice big Action packer tote in there, some smaller rubber made containers, and on the side of with the hoses I have a Rubbermaid 3 drawer chest. all works very well.. Use your imagination, look around your garage and basement as well, you will get some great ideas to maximize your storage
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We bought 5 containers, 3 larger and 2 smaller, from Home Depot. They are black with yellow lids and very sturdy. Just got finished reorganizing all the contents and throwing out items we haven't used in years. Very liberating feeling. We labelled the containers and find it very easy to find items and clean out the basement by sliding and lifting out the containers. Very neat and tidy.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
If I can offer some advice, I also have a 3820FK and you may want to rethink your storage with regards to weight distribution.

We traditionally store all the weight in the "basement" directly behind the king pin. BUT . . . with a front kitchen you already have your stove and refrigerator sitting in the bed of your truck. We moved a lot of the storage weight to the rear storage, (under the king bed), in order to control pin weight of the entire unit.

Just something to consider.
PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
The Impulse
Established Member

M.O.C. #19518
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
If I can offer some advice, I also have a 3820FK and you may want to rethink your storage with regards to weight distribution.

We traditionally store all the weight in the "basement" directly behind the king pin. BUT . . . with a front kitchen you already have your stove and refrigerator sitting in the bed of your truck. We moved a lot of the storage weight to the rear storage, (under the king bed), in order to control pin weight of the entire unit.

Just something to consider.
Thanks you everyone for the awesome ideas. I think it's gonna all come together with each trip we take.
PeteMorris, we completely agree about storing more in the rear. We thought we were doing good by getting a camper that weighed less than our last one, but never realized the Hitch weight would be heavier due to the front kitchen.... ugh.
We really need a new truck to haul but sadly, last Fall the transmission went out and it had to be completely rebuilt. Too much money invested in it now. Scares the crap out of me to Haul now. Planning our first trip in a couple weeks.... it's gonna be stressful.... lol

2017 3820FK
First time Montana Owner
The Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Don't be afraid to drill, I installed hooks in the front compartment under the king pin, on the wall. hang my power cord and all my houses nice and neat on the wall. They never fall off and are always neet. I am able to use the rest of that compartment for wheel chocks, tool box, jack pads, basically that's my set up compartment.
As for the basement, I have a nice big Action packer tote in there, some smaller rubber made containers, and on the side of with the hoses I have a Rubbermaid 3 drawer chest. all works very well.. Use your imagination, look around your garage and basement as well, you will get some great ideas to maximize your storage
What kind of hooks do you use to store the 50amp power cord. That thing is heavy, & one of our problems. Just got a new truck this year, 2016 Ford, long bed with the factory installed 5th wheel hitch. Now with the Montana hooked up, I can no longer open the front storage compartment.
John
Old 03-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundwc16 View Post
What kind of hooks do you use to store the 50amp power cord. That thing is heavy, & one of our problems. Just got a new truck this year, 2016 Ford, long bed with the factory installed 5th wheel hitch. Now with the Montana hooked up, I can no longer open the front storage compartment.
John
I picked up a MORryde reel for the power cord. Not inexpensive, but it has been fantastic to use and not wrestle with the cord.

MORryde Easy Reel Tall
Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #12
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I picked up a MORryde reel for the power cord. Not inexpensive, but it has been fantastic to use and not wrestle with the cord.

MORryde Easy Reel Tall
Good stuff. Thanks for the tip.
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #13
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
When I did my basement I put numbers on the storage containers and then listed what was in the container in a spreadsheet on my tablet..I have 8 storage containers..makes it real easy to find something without looking in all of them..
Lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
John
Call me cheap, but I use a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes and coil that anaconda up.
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
Call me cheap, but I use a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes and coil that anaconda up.
Good idea! That sucker is heavy.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
  • We carry the anaconda in the back of the truck between the hitch and the tailgate while on the road. As for storage in the basement--I've hung a lot of the stuff on the walls with heavy Velcro strips. They are wide(about 1 1/2-2 inches). The strips stick to the walls because of the covering on them. The rest of the items are in storage tubs and they are labeled except for the chairs where and I'm working on a new system for storage for them in the basement. Got some good ideas at the Escapee's Rally in Tucson and hope to implement some of them this spring before heading out for spring and summer camping.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
I use heavy hangers from hardware store and screw them into steel supports on the top of the basement Then I use 1/4" rope that I wrap around the fifty amp cord and hang it off the hook right inside the door.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #18
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
John
I used a heavy duty hook made by Husky from Home Depot, and some good sized screws. Holds the cord just fine. I use one hook for the cord, and I have hoses on another hook ..I have done this same setup on my last 2 units and have always had good luck with it
Old 04-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Also, I too cant open my compartment all the way while hooked up, but I can open it enough to get into it and get what I need out of it. I have thought about changing my configuration, but I really don't need to get anything out of it until I unhook anyways. Cords and hoses I don't do anything with until I am unhooked and level. About the only things I need to get at while hooked up are my blocks and chocks, and there is plenty of room to open and reach in and get them, without hitting my truck..